Craigslist email: like yelling into space

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've found three cars on Craigslist I'm interested in. None of them have a phone number, only the anonymized Craigslist email contact. None of them have replied.

This is pretty much par for the course for me. I don't know if their email system is just glitchy or something else, but it does make browsing the ads somewhat frustrating.

Some scammers will list a car real cheap and leave out important info so you respond and all they want is your e-mail address.

When I sell I always use the anonymized email. But I respond pretty quickly. Or at least acknowledge if I do not have the requested info on the tip of my fingers.

Well, let me tell you my story.
My son moved to San Antonio, Texas a year ago to get his residency so he could finish his college degree and pay instate tuition. He moved down there in a '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. A few months ago, he purchased a newer Ford Explorer and doesn't need the Jeep anymore. Since the Jeep is in my name, I took care of selling it, even though I live 700 miles away. We put it on Craigslist for a very good price. I did not put my phone number on the ad or the location on of the Jeep, with the exception of the zip code. I need my cell phone on 24 hours a day for a reason I will not divulge here so that is one reason I kept my number off the ad. I then sat back on watched the email replies come in. Most of them were: "I want this Jeep. Don't sell it to anybody else!" without them even looking at it. I had close to 200 total emails on this vehicle and I'm sure many of them would have called during the wee hours of the night making sure that they were "the first one responding to my ad". I would instantly reply via email to tell them where the Jeep was located and they could then go view it. If they replied back that they were interested in it, I would then give them my phone number.
In your case, I imagine the vehicles are already sold, or the seller is waiting to make sure the deal is finalized and he'll never take the time to pull the ad. I've replied to quite a few ads and haven't heard from the seller either.
My Jeep was good enough that I sold it to a dealer, but I guess none of the perspective buyers wanted it that bad.

Originally Posted by Warstud
Some scammers will list a car real cheap and leave out important info so you respond and all they want is your e-mail address.

That was very much true in my area until they started charging $5 for each ad you put up in the "cars and trucks" section. Now the spam has been reduced drastically. One of the best ideas that Craigslist has come up with.

Originally Posted by Kruse

That was very much true in my area until they started charging $5 for each ad you put up in the "cars and trucks" section. Now the spam has been reduced drastically. One of the best ideas that Craigslist has come up with.

Yeah, but when you reply back, craigslist also uses their own email address so all the scammer has is the craigslist email address to reply back to.

The seller is trying to queue responders, and you are not the first responder. The ad's still up because the car hasn't sold.

If I were you, I'd include your name, hometown, call back number, and maybe mentioning that you have cash and are looking for something like what's offered.

When I sell stuff, I don't include a phone number, and the "buyer" only gets my address when we agree on a time. I don't need weirdos showing up at wierd times.

I always post my number on an ad. I just have my phone set up to shut off the ringer between 11pm and 9am. That way all the nut jobs or early risers go to voicemail and I'll answer them when I get around to it. I'd avoid ones who leave messages at 3am but not too many people actually do that. I find that the ones who call are the ones who are the most motivated. Half the time you email them back and you never hear back from them.

Originally Posted by Kruse

Yep so much easier to check for cars now and I have not seen a super cheap scam car since this went into affect.

$5 to list a car is still cheap and now more people will see your car and not all the scam post.

Originally Posted by Donald
When I sell I always use the anonymized email. But I respond pretty quickly. Or at least acknowledge if I do not have the requested info on the tip of my fingers.

Same here.
I don't like texting, I can put more in email faster. You get my number when we are about to meet up.

eljefino gave a good answer. I use to queue up responders and whomever gave the best answer got the first reply.

Example. When I had shingles put on my previous house, I no longer needed the leftover bundles the previous owner left when I got the house.

So I placed an ad like this in the free section with a good pic: Roofing shingles, 5 bundles of estate gray Owens Corning.
Getting rid of them because I had a new roof put on and these old leftover shingles were from a previous roof job and don't match the new roof.
I live near Avery and Hayden Run near the Hilliard Davidson High School.

Free to the first person who can pick them up by 7 PM. I'll respond back with my number if you reply back when you can get them.

The best responder got my phone number. Sometimes I would ask for their number which they provided.

I used a phone number app called 2ndLine on my smartphone. The 2ndLine number was the phone number I told them to text.
Sold many bicycles, a few other things and gave away stuff. I'm one of the few people that doesn't get spam calls, so that is a good app.

In reality, the buyer has more to worry about than the seller. Placing an add for a $1000 Chevy Cobalt is a good way to lure someone with $1000 cash to a meeting spot to rob someone.

Originally Posted by Elkins45
I don't know if their email system is just glitchy or something else, but it does make browsing the ads somewhat frustrating.

Not everybody is sitting in front of their computer all day. If they don't reply in 24hrs, move on. The most annoying ads are from sellers that don't accept emails and want you to call or text.

It is frustrating responding to an ad with no tel# and waiting around for someone to get back to you but there are legit reasons for not putting a tel# in the ad also.

It is what it is...

I use a google voice number that doesn't ring me. I get an e-mail saying I have a voice mail and I can listen to it online.

I always meet in a busy public place like a Starbucks or similar.

Or if for some serious money, like when I sold a minivan for $10k, we met at my bank and did the paperwork inside. The buyer banked there too, so it was a paper transaction where the money came out of his account and then went into mine. Signed over the title and both of us signed two copies of the bill of sale and my bank had a notary service, so I had my copy notarized so if he complained, I had the BoS stating he had the opportunity to have the van inspected (he did actually) and was buying it as-is, no implied warranties, etc.

Not usually problem for a $500 to $1000 hooptie, but I do use the same BoS for all private party car sales.

Originally Posted by eljefino
The seller is trying to queue responders, and you are not the first responder. The ad's still up because the car hasn't sold.

If I were you, I'd include your name, hometown, call back number, and maybe mentioning that you have cash and are looking for something like what's offered.

When I sell stuff, I don't include a phone number, and the "buyer" only gets my address when we agree on a time. I don't need weirdos showing up at wierd times.

We have a winner!

Originally Posted by dave1251

We have a winner!

Easy scenario to avoid - do not give them your email address. Problem solved...proactively!

Originally Posted by The_Nuke

We have a winner!

Easy scenario to avoid - do not give them your email address. Problem solved...proactively!

Right and enable 2 step security on your email account and you're good. And unless you have access to that email account to "verify" the address, I'm not sure what good it does.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
It is frustrating responding to an ad with no tel# and waiting around for someone to get back to you but there are legit reasons for not putting a tel# in the ad also.

It is what it is...

That may be frustrating for you, but some people don't have data plans on their phone so they can reply faster via text messaging.

These days it just reflects what people have become. They are glued to their phones, but can't reply to the people or things that matter.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by The_Nuke

We have a winner!

Right and enable 2 step security on your email account and you're good. And unless you have access to that email account to "verify" the address, I'm not sure what good it does.

There is not even a need for that. Simply respond from craigslist page and it will hide your email address. Then, once the thread is started and you get a response, you can reply through your normal email account but your true email address will remain hidden.

As a buyer, I've had reasonably good luck contacting sellers who were genuinely wanting to sell whatever it was they had listed. Specifically for vehicles, I narrow the parameters to "owner" "clean title" and "images". Anyone who can't post good pix and a good general description of their vehicle was quickly sorted to the garbage bin.

Back in February I bought a vehicle. Took me over two months of daily searching CL for suitable vehicles, literally thousands of ads viewed, only a handful of those were worthy of contact, and only a fraction of what was left warranted an in person inspection. I think I may have had a total of 10 vehicles I looked at in person. My personal favorites - NOT! - were the [censored] dealers listing as "owner" and not a dealer, misrepresenting the vehicle condition and history.

As a seller, good God almighty what drama! Probably had about a 60/40 split between genuine buyers and spammers. I can't even count how many times someone would go through the process of contacting, setting up an appointment to view said item, only to never show up, or worse, wasting my time with insulting low ball offers. My ads are always very detailed and include good quality pix. I do not have the ability to text, I have a land line or emails only. To avoid a plethora of spam, my ads specifically state to contact me by CL email with their phone number and I will call them asap. While this culls most of the spam, plenty still get through.

Moral of the story: CL, like Sleaz-Ebay, is a playground for trolls and scammers, and it is a PITA to have to sift through the garbage to find the gems. Half the battle is knowing how to search and knowing the warning signs of bad sellers/scammers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back