You go girls!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/NOAA49/history/20190829/0530Z/KLAL/KLAL

Flying @ FL 450 (45,000') circuit around the storm, also several vectors ~300nm from storm. Gulfstream IV

I'm not sure of there reconnaissance on this flight, I do know that the P3 Orion will penetrate the storm @ less than 10,000' and fly though the eyewall and fly circles inside of the eye to use ground speed vs True airspeed plotting to find the Center of the storm along with dropping mini parachute instruments that eventually sink in water to detect Air pressure, water & Air temps among other things.

Apparently flying through the storm has many hollow spots like Swiss Cheese and onboard radar is used to find ''Hot Spots'' to avoid. I imagine a hot spot requires a underwear change..

Originally Posted by Capt
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/NOAA49/history/20190829/0530Z/KLAL/KLAL

Flying @ FL 450 (45,000') circuit around the storm, also several vectors ~300nm from storm. Gulfstream IV.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
ZZZZzzzz.....

That's pretty much it. Circling around it from as much as 300 miles away at 45,000 ft. (8-1/2 miles high). In what amounts to a business jet, is a far cry from penetrating it below 10,000 ft. in a 4 engine turboprop. Yet another, "I am woman, hear me roar" article, that would have been lucky to have made a single paragraph on page 45 if there were men in the cockpit.

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Good for them! All for this coverage, hope it inspires more girls into science and flying.

Me too with 3 daughters. The only peer of my 13 year old daughter interested in aviation has both parents as pilots which mum who was formerly National Guard fuel tanker pilot and currently commercial passenger 777 Pilot.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Good for them! All for this coverage, hope it inspires more girls into science and flying.

Me too with 3 daughters. The only peer of my 13 year old daughter interested in aviation has both parents as pilots which mum who was formerly National Guard fuel tanker pilot and currently commercial passenger 777 Pilot.

I know. None of our 12 yr old Daughter's friends have any real interest in flying...or even going for a ride in our plane. Only a few of our friend's children, sons and daughters, have ever hounded me for a ride. At their age my friends and I were riding our bicycles to the airport local begging for rides. Different times.

Spin or not, these stories serve a purpose.

Originally Posted by billt460
. Yet another, "I am woman, hear me roar" article, that would have been lucky to have made a single paragraph on page 45 if there were men in the cockpit.

I don't know how long these feminist "feel good" articles need to go on. Women already have so many advantages.

Originally Posted by gfh77665
. Yet another, "I am woman, hear me roar" article, that would have been lucky to have made a single paragraph on page 45 if there were men in the cockpit.

I don't know how long these feminist "feel good" articles need to go on. Women already have so many advantages.

….and disadvantages. Women are under represented in STEM, on corporate Boards and in C Level positions. They are better represented there in high tech and some organizations that are more or less meritocracies, but are still underrepresented as a whole, and I am saying this as a male executive in high tech.

Staying out of politics, but from a purely practical and, in a global economy, competitive standpoint, it does our economy no favors when ~50% of the population may not have an equal shot at realizing their full potential, staying out of certain fields, etc. I walk through our Engineering areas and it is painfully obvious that other countries, who are very clearly our competitors, are a bit ahead of us on this front.

Staying out of politics, but from a purely practical and, in a global economy, competitive standpoint, it does our economy no favors when ~50% of the population may not have an equal shot at realizing their full potential, staying out of certain fields, etc. I walk through our Engineering areas and it is painfully obvious that other countries, who are very clearly our competitors, are a bit ahead of us on this front.

Are they being kept out?...... Or is it they just don't want in to begin with? My guess is the latter. American women have a different set of values than Pacific Rim women do. "Roaring" into the board room, just may not be their cup of tea. Regardless of what is being pumped out on the 24 hour news cycle.

We have much the same with men in trade schools here. They are tremendously under attended. Because a lot of young guys today don't care to work blue collar jobs. Running feel good stories about plumbers and electricians isn't going to increase the student body in these schools, if they never wanted it in the first place.

How many women ran out of the kitchen, or quit their job at the mall to become welders after watching, "Flashdance"?

Are they being kept out?...... Or is it they just don't want in to begin with? My guess is the latter. American women have a different set of values than Pacific Rim women do. "Roaring" into the board room, just may not be their cup of tea. Regardless of what is being pumped out on the 24 hour news cycle.

We have much the same with men in trade schools here. They are tremendously under attended. Because a lot of young guys today don't care to work blue collar jobs. Running feel good stories about plumbers and electricians isn't going to increase the student body in these schools, if they never wanted it in the first place.

How many women ran out of the kitchen, or quit their job at the mall to become welders after watching, "Flashdance"?

Great question, and many are looking for the answers.... Agree on trade schools, and to a certain extent engineering and STEM for smart boys. I spent a fair amount of time recruiting at colleges and get the impression that too many of our best and brightest are all going to B school to be the next Gordon Gekko's……

Spot on.

Wait a minute. So you are saying that there is about 50% of engineers, that simply cannot get a job because of their gender?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KrisZ

Wait a minute. So you are saying that there is about 50% of engineers, that simply cannot get a job because of their gender?

No.

What I am saying is that for whatever reason(s), women in the US do not enter the STEM fields at the same rate as men nor at the same rate as in some other countries and it has nothing to do with capability. Because of this, we have folks who could have been capable engineers, developers, mathematicians, etc. who never even start to pursue the studies. Essentially, our STEM professionals are being selected from a smaller overall population than it could be.

Is there still some discrimination in corporate America? Does the boys club still exist? Yes. But it is going away with each successive generation... Me? I couldn't care less about my team's gender, race, anything else, except whether they work hard and smart, accomplish their roles successfully and present themselves professionally, because that is what we are judged and rewarded on. I also have no tolerance for those who think otherwise and I sweep them out real d%#@n quickly....

Originally Posted by KrisZ

No.

What I am saying is that for whatever reason(s), women in the US do not enter the STEM fields at the same rate as men nor at the same rate as in some other countries and it has nothing to do with capability. Because of this, we have folks who could have been capable engineers, developers, mathematicians, etc. who never even start to pursue the studies. Essentially, our STEM professionals are being selected from a smaller overall population than it could be.

This is true in my experience as I still teach and only about 27% of my Physics and Chemistry classes consist of females.

I would like to see more females in STEM courses but other non-science departments are pulling many away for courses which, in my opinion, do not the offer the advantages and salaries of STEM-type courses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back