Looks like Glock listened to their customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a huge Glock fanboy. I've literally been waiting for 20 years for Glock to FINALLY release the new and improved gen 5 Glock 19. And then when they released it, they totally ruined the grip with the much hated and despised half moon cutout. AAHHHHHHH!!!

As such, I never did buy a gen 5 G19. That will change as soon as I can get my hands on this new model. They released the new model on August 1st, and they have slowly been trickling out to stores.

The gen 5 has some very nice features, and on paper, should be the best most durable Glock made. The new gen 5 PVD finish shows promise as well. I have owned by my guess, at least 5 or 6 different type finishes on Glock pistols. Ranging from "pretty bad" to " wow, you couldn't scratch this gun if you tried." The Teflon frying pan finish, as it is commonly called, was the most durable, most wonderful, exterior coating ever placed on a gun. And then Glock stopped using it about 10 years ago. Shame.

The silver slide models are also quietly going bye bye.

Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by Reddy45
Quite possibly the most conservative gun manufacturer ever. Solid design but their idea of "innovation" is laughable.
You don't need to do a lot of innovating when you have a great product. A lot of times you start going backwards.

Very true.

I have shot other Gen 2's and yes I know it's collectible.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by JasonC
I've owned lots of Glocks over the years. My favorite is my NIB Gen 2 19.

So your favorite is a Gen 2 you've never shot? Do you think it's collectible?

Originally Posted by bubbatime

The gen 5 has some very nice features, and on paper, should be the best most durable Glock made. The new gen 5 PVD finish shows promise as well. I have owned by my guess, at least 5 or 6 different type finishes on Glock pistols. Ranging from "pretty bad" to " wow, you couldn't scratch this gun if you tried." The Teflon frying pan finish, as it is commonly called, was the most durable, most wonderful, exterior coating ever placed on a gun. And then Glock stopped using it about 10 years ago. Shame.

I'm not too sure about the Gen 5s finish durability. My gen5 19 has 2 spots where the finish is worn through to bare metal already after only a couple of months of daily carry in a iwb kydex holster

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Quite possibly the most conservative gun manufacturer ever. Solid design but their idea of "innovation" is laughable.

Gastons kids are counting the days until he passes away. I predict they're first new "INNOVATION" will be a Glock AR-15.

Speaking of Glocks...I admit I a Glock semi fanboy. I got into a discussion (argument) with a couple of guys that own Glocks and both said they have never had a fail to eject or stovepipe and any of their glocks. When I indicated that they must not shoot much and that I have multiple failures on all three of my glocks...they indicated that I must be (substitute derogatory term).

Now a work of explanation. My G43 was trouble gree out of the box and I have several thousand rounds. I am gonna say that I have had at least a couple of stovepipes/fail to eject. My G42 probably had one to two dozen issues in the first couple hundred rounds. Since then maybe I have had maybe a couple failures in 6+ K rounds. My G26 is a problem. Out of maybe500 rounds it has had at least one or two dozen issues. It is a problem and really needs to be sent back.

So really forgetting the G26 I think both my G42/G43 on the average might have a failure every couple thousand rounds. Then again..maybe I will never have another failure with either of them. Sure it could be ammunition but who knows.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Al
Thoughts?

Glocks have tight springs. They, and most other guns, work better when fed a steady diet of high quality ammo, that has some power behind it. Like 9MM NATO, or European ammo made in Italy, etc.

American ammo is loaded to bunny [censored] levels, and will cause an occasional jam. Switch to 9MM NATO or some Italian Fiocchi ammo, and most problems go away.

This of course doesn't take into account the limp wristing issue that smaller guns are more likely to have, compared to full size guns. Thats operator dependent. And yes, even guys at the range that swear up and down that they are not limp wristing, are in fact, limp wristing. Put the gun in someone elses hand and it shoots just fine. Seen it dozens of times at the range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back