Valvoline Advanced 5W40 Full Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some people take issue with Mobil 1 0W40 FS like the UOAs come back with high iron. At CST 12.8 starting its on the thin side for a 40 oil. Some guys out there use Castrol 0W40 instead.

I saw this at Walmart. Looked it up and its thicker than Mobil 1 with starting CST at 13.5.

[Linked Image]

Im not going to try this one myself personally. Just pointing it out for discussion.

The thing with 5W40 is you can only find it cheaply in the HDEOs, but any other variation is top dollar. However in the PCMO 0W40 variety you can find it cheaply right at Walmart whether it be Castrol, Valvoline or Mobil 1. Thus why people discuss 0W40 so much.

PCMO 0W40 passes the Walmart test...cheap, on the shelves or a 2 day order. PCMO 5W40 is a tougher and more expensive to get.

For some technical reason the 0W40s like to spit out more iron than the 5W40s. The 5W40s seem like a tougher oil looking at various UOAs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Navi
Im not going to try this one myself personally. Just pointing it out for discussion.

The thing with 5W40 is you can only find it cheaply in the HDEOs, but any other variation is top dollar. However in the PCMO 0W40 variety you can find it cheaply right at Walmart whether it be Castrol, Valvoline or Mobil 1. Thus why people discuss 0W40 so much.

PCMO 0W40 passes the Walmart test...cheap, on the shelves or a 2 day order. PCMO 5W40 is a tougher and more expensive to get.

For some technical reason the 0W40s like to spit out more iron than the 5W40s. The 5W40s seem like a tougher oil looking at various UOAs.

Both Castrol 0w40 and PCMO 5w40 are easy to find at Walmart and both are usually listed within the $20-$25 price range per 5 quart jug. 0w40 from Mobil 1, Valvoline, and Castrol are all MB 229.5 certified and so is Castrol 5w40 PCMO.

You are correct. I just found Castrol 5W40 on the Walmart website, but I didnt see it in my local store. I am not a big Castrol fan. I would have to look at some UOAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back