Dead malls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how it is in all countries, but the mall I went to last year in Medellin, Colombia was packed. Had to park far away, stores were full. Amazon (the website) doesn't exist down there and the mail system isn't the most secure.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by madRiver
Many Malls are dead as discussed many times over. I think the mall owners should give away space to Amazon returns center at furthest walk in to drive foot traffic.

I could not believe how many (10) people in line at Kohl's who takes Amazon returns.

They skipped back to me customer 11 to return something my daughter/wife bought at Kohl's and I had to return.

Inside the infamous dead mall that Amazon is turning into a 700,000-square foot fulfillment center

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-could-replace-dead-mall-rolling-acres-photos-2019-2

That is 4miles from my house, and about 2 miles from Wright Tool.(random fact)

That mall was dead long before amazon, Ghetto thugs walking 9 wide in the mall, people breaking out car windows etc. There was a relatively new target built onto the back of the mall.. I think they lost more in theft than they sold.
The mall was referred to as "Rolling Afros" during my teenage years.(early 1990's) A relative was shook down for money when he was leaving at Knifepoint.. and a cousin of mine had his window broken out for his $3 in cup holder change.

Its also the location of an infamous craigslist murder.
https://www.gq.com/story/craigslist-killers

The other fulfillment center is at the site of the former Randall Park mall.. another bad neighborhood mall that was in a heavily blighted area.

It is AMAZINGLY HUGE.. about 10x the size of a super walmart. It sits across from the Jack Thistledown Racino.

I don't miss the days of being harassed and treated like crap at the local mall. That's by the employees. Also remember the days of constant car break ins and mugging and fights. Different mall, same problems.

Last edited:
The real lynchpin at Amazon is how long investors will tolerate losses on their capital until they finally pull the plug.

The only part of Amazon that actually makes money is their computer server rental business, and a disproportionate chunk of their customer base are tech startups with limited or no profitability and limited access to new investment.

I mainly shop store front strip malls - much easier to park inline with the Academy store you will be bringing goods out of - and don't have to wade past all the junk stands to get to something way in the back.

As for Jeff 'ole pal - we quit hanging out together when he bought that newspaper - did not understand why he needed that to sell Bose docking stations
(maybe he was thinking of much bigger/bolder docking stations)

Originally Posted by pitzel
The real lynchpin at Amazon is how long investors will tolerate losses on their capital until they finally pull the plug.

The only part of Amazon that actually makes money is their computer server rental business, and a disproportionate chunk of their customer base are tech startups with limited or no profitability and limited access to new investment.

I've bought a few Amazon shares over the past few years and have done OK.

When Jeff Bezos started Amazon he said he would like for someday his company to grow to the point of him needing to buy a forklift to be able to move pallets of books in his warehouse (he says this in YouTube video). He never could have imagined in 1994 that 25 years later he would be leasing a fleet of Boeing 767s to move Amazon boxes.

I admire people who think big and take financial risks when others tell them they have a crap business plan.

Originally Posted by Rmay635703
Whether a mall survives depends on

1. How indoor malls are taxed
(non-strip malls are taxed 2-4x more annually on property tax than strip and stand alone retail)

2. Management, most malls are insured against minimal occupancy and will not price their retail space to match what it's actually worth.

Community organizers can combat dead malls by working together by simply raising the cost of property taxes on stand alone properties like Walmart or ugly generic strip malls.
Retail moved to wherever is cheapest, by overtaxing indoor malls the government chose to eliminate them.

In my area a huge problem is that the town or county fully subsidizes little strip malls that inevitably stay empty and get demolished on the tax payers dime.

The population and wages today aren't significantly different than when I was a kid yet we are drowning in a massive influx of retail, at the end of the day there is just too much retail for an aging declining population and something has gotta give

A really, really good post here ^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by Warstud
It amazes me that so many people buy from Amazon. You dont always know what your getting. You can't try it on to see if it fits or how it looks on you. And you have to wait a days to get it. I don't get it.

1) I can buy everything from there nearly. 1 stop shop.
2) its absurdly easy and fast, even from mobile.
3) it is delivered to my house so I dont have to go out among a bunch of mouth breathers and get it at the store.
4) it's cheaper than even walmart often times, and allows me to buy used in some cases (books, etc.) For a fraction of the cost.
5) did I mention not having to go into town?

It amazes me that so many people buy from Amazon. You dont always know what your getting. You can't try it on to see if it fits or how it looks on you. And you have to wait a days to get it. I don't get it.

LOL. I buy from Amazon because I know what I'm getting and it's a one stop shop. I've returned a few things and both them and their vendors have been nothing but awesome in the process. Once a lot of items could be delivered next or same day, I'm looking there first. They even deliver Sunday. With the app, I can add things to my cart when I need them or the need for them crosses my mind. Then once a month or so, buy the whole cart and go about my life.

The "malls", as we used to know them, are dead. Many are being redeveloped into mixed use sites, so retail itself isn't dead, it's just evolving.

While I wouldn't order clothes it seems to work ok for what I've used. Beats driving half hour to a store.

I suspect that dying malls were either poorly sited and built on a weak business case to begin with, have aged out over the years and are no longer economically feasible to maintain or have been subjected to demographic changes in their catchment areas and so lose their higher-end anchor tenants the departure of which leaves huge holes not easily filled. Also, while families once considered the mall to be a weekend destination, this appears to be less the case these days. Fashions do change.
I think that Amazon and its ilk have played a role in the decline of malls, but online retailers aren't the sole or even primary cause in most cases.

Ordered a hand held marine radio last Thursday, mid-morning from Amazon Prime. It was sitting on my doorstep by 9:00am on Friday. Less than 24 hours to deliver!

I recently moved from a city of almost 3 million to a small mountain community. The closest city with large retailers is about a 70 mile round trip. One of the first things I did when looking for the new home was asked my agent if FedEx and UPS offer residential delivery and if high speed internet was available. I have to go into town to the Post Office a couple times a week to pick up my mail.
I plan on doing a lot of online shopping, especially with merchants who offer free delivery. Thank god for Amazon and others. I imagine that for residents of this town prior to about 15 years ago that it was quite an inconvenience.
About the only thing I am leery about when online shopping is clothes, especially shoes. I'll still make a trip into town occasionally for some items but for known commodities I'll be shopping from the comfort of my home.

In Memphis, where I'm from, shopping malls have been on a steady decline for a long time.

I was born in the late 70s, and, when I was a kid in the mid-late 80s, there were 2 big malls (Mall of Memphis, Hickory Ridge Mall) and several other, smaller indoor shopping malls around Memphis and its suburbs.

Some of the smaller malls closed a long time ago, in the very late 80s and early 90s, due to recession and other factors.

Mall of Memphis earned the name "Mall of Murder", due to a few high-profile murders and carjackings, and the entire area around Hickory Ridge Mall just got so bad that nobody wanted to go there.

In the mid 1990s, a new large mall, Wolfchase, opened along the Germantown Parkway corridor, on the northeast side. It was OK for a while, and is still actually pretty busy, but it's also become somewhere you really don't want to be on a Friday or Saturday night, due to large groups of unsupervised teenagers roaming the place. There have also been at least two incidences of smash and grabs by big groups of thugs at jewelry stores there.

The trend over the last few years has been towards "outdoor malls" - basically big, outdoor shopping centers with fountains and park benches and walkways, movie theaters, restaurants, etc, like the Carriage Crossing outdoor mall in Collierville, and Indian Lakes in Hendersonville, near where I live now. These outdoor malls attract less rowdiness by teenagers due to the fact that they don't offer an indoor shelter from rain, snow, cold or heat, or an indoor environment for idle teens to hang out and make trouble.

Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye
I recently moved from a city of almost 3 million to a small mountain community. The closest city with large retailers is about a 70 mile round trip. One of the first things I did when looking for the new home was asked my agent if FedEx and UPS offer residential delivery and if high speed internet was available. I have to go into town to the Post Office a couple times a week to pick up my mail.
I plan on doing a lot of online shopping, especially with merchants who offer free delivery. Thank god for Amazon and others. I imagine that for residents of this town prior to about 15 years ago that it was quite an inconvenience.
About the only thing I am leery about when online shopping is clothes, especially shoes. I'll still make a trip into town occasionally for some items but for known commodities I'll be shopping from the comfort of my home.

Back in 1990 my parents relocated us to a more rural area; while we had a decent grocery store across the street and a gas pump in town, and a NAPA just down the street, it was still a 30 minute drive to get to Ames and a small strip mall. 30 minutes past that to a "real" mall. Really didn't think much of it. I suppose if we came from NYC it'd be different, but for those who live in the suburbs it's still 10-15 minutes to get anyplace it seems. Out in the sticks it's just a bit longer.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye

Back in 1990 my parents relocated us to a more rural area; while we had a decent grocery store across the street and a gas pump in town, and a NAPA just down the street, it was still a 30 minute drive to get to Ames and a small strip mall. 30 minutes past that to a "real" mall. Really didn't think much of it. I suppose if we came from NYC it'd be different, but for those who live in the suburbs it's still 10-15 minutes to get anyplace it seems. Out in the sticks it's just a bit longer.
Very different here.

The Phoenix area is pretty spread out compared to other cities, but everything is right around the corner.

For example, go on Google Maps and type in this address of a business that's right near my house. Then choose the directions option and choose a grocery store, Walmart, auto parts store, the mall, hardware store, clothing stores etc. and you'll see that even though our houses aren't stacked on top of each other, it's still a 5 minute drive tops anywhere.

2855 S Alma School Rd Suite 107, Mesa, AZ 85210

Yikes, that looks like a city! The town I just moved to feels a bit populous; quick look in wikipedia shows just over 2,000 residents in 38 square miles. No wonder it feels a bit crowded.

If you want, you could look up Bradford NH. Close enough.

Walmart and Costco are just as much to blame for the death of malls/strip malls. And from the revenue these companies are pulling in I'd say consumers are fine with it.

Fwiw, I'm old enough to remember when brick and mortar stores complained about the Sears and Wards catalog...... evolve or get left behind, it's as simple as that.

Last edited:
Lots of times its an inconvenience to shop at a retail store.
Wal-Mart is ok if you shop early in the morning, but no way after 10 AM.

50% of my shopping is Amazon, 50% at local Publix store for fresh produce and meats.

The OP was about dead malls, then the thread turned into one all about Amazon. Strange. Now days the popular thing seems to be building these shopping areas that are designed like small cities. I never could understand why people would rather walk around outside in the weather while going from store to store instead of being in a controlled climate in a mall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back