Best Oil Change Ramps ??

Consider also some cars that are low profile and/or have a front air dam need ramps that are a certain angle. You do not want the ramp to get hung up on a front air dam.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Homemade wooden ramps. With 5 levels your can raise one side a little higher if a drain plug is on the side of the engine.

I've done the same thing, but only 2 levels, since 2 is enough to get access to both my Honda and Toyota, and they get the vehicles to perfectly level on a slight slope. I used 2 x 12's.

I assume yours are nailed together?

Originally Posted by eljefino
OP doesn't mention if he's FWD, RWD, or anticipating current or future clearance issues from low riding cars.

But the wood ramps won't fail anyone.

If you get metal ramps, it's my understanding that you should restrain their movement from the ramp end, not the vertical one so they don't stress/ fold over. Less convenient.

I say stake your claim and get the ramps in the space they deserve to go in before someone else puts their junk in your new garage.
cheers3.gif

My Toyota is FWD. Both my Jeep and F-150 are RWD only. The only clearance issue that could become a problem is with the Toyota. It has all that low plastic fascia around it that could become a problem. But If I go with the 2" X 6" wood ramps, I could build around that issue.

Originally Posted by billt460
... The only clearance issue that could become a problem is with the Toyota. It has all that low plastic fascia around it that could become a problem. ...
I thought I had that problem with the Prius, until I realized I could easily solve it simply by putting a short piece of 2×8 where the wheel will run up on it before it starts up the ramp. That lifts the car enough for the low bodywork ahead of the wheel to clear the top of my makeshift ramps.

Originally Posted by JerryBob
Originally Posted by atikovi
Homemade wooden ramps. With 5 levels your can raise one side a little higher if a drain plug is on the side of the engine.

I've done the same thing, but only 2 levels, since 2 is enough to get access to both my Honda and Toyota, and they get the vehicles to perfectly level on a slight slope. I used 2 x 12's.

I assume yours are nailed together?

Deck screws.

Originally Posted by VQ35DE
Looks like I am the first to say this but my RACE RAMPS are the best thing I have ever bought.

+1 This. The 2 piece type. Higher, wider, and lighter.

Won't slip, great for low clearance needs.

Last edited:
I have a cheap set of steelie ramps from late 80's painted black. Have left them outside for years sometimes and no rust. I have noticed on some slick surfaces they tend to move / slide forward sometimes. A 2X4 in front of it when low ground clearance does help. Never used the Rhinos before but if I were buying a new set would definitely take a look at them.

Originally Posted by user52165
Originally Posted by VQ35DE
Looks like I am the first to say this but my RACE RAMPS are the best thing I have ever bought.

+1 This. The 2 piece type. Higher, wider, and lighter.

Won't slip, great for low clearance needs.
Never heard of these. Went to their website and figured out why. For >$300, I'll buy 6 more sets of Rhinos should they ever fail (they won't). Glad you guys like them, but wow...

Sure Race Ramps might be might be pricey, but you did say you wanted the best, and you get what you pay for. I love my featherweight 2-piece race ramps. The other alternatives are just cheap compromises. I still use my Rhino ramps too, but HEAVY wood ramps just plain suck. Good tools can be priceless, plus easier to sell if needed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tony1679
I have the 12K Rhino Ramps (the old style pictured below). Wouldn't trade them for the world. 8 years old and what seems like a thousand repairs/oil changes later, they still perform/look like brand new. Best automotive investment I ever made. Possibly best investment ever.
thumbsup2.gif

BTW, I have ZERO regrets going with the 12Ks. They've come in handy a few times where I would have been very hesitant with 8Ks.

Edit: yes, I stole this pic from the interwebs because I'm too lazy to go take a pic
lol.gif

I have this set of 12K Rhino Ramps that I've used for years and they still work great. I recently bought 2 more of the newer looking 12K Rhino Ramps so I could change the transmission fluid and pan on my 14 Mustang so it would be level.

Originally Posted by wtd
I have the 12K Rhino Ramps (the old style pictured below). Wouldn't trade them for the world. 8 years old and what seems like a thousand repairs/oil changes later, they still perform/look like brand new. Best automotive investment I ever made. Possibly best investment ever.
thumbsup2.gif

BTW, I have ZERO regrets going with the 12Ks. They've come in handy a few times where I would have been very hesitant with 8Ks.

Edit: yes, I stole this pic from the interwebs because I'm too lazy to go take a pic
lol.gif

I have this set of 12K Rhino Ramps that I've used for years and they still work great. I recently bought 2 more of the newer looking 12K Rhino Ramps so I could change the transmission fluid and pan on my 14 Mustang so it would be level.

I like my old Rhino's, and my 2-piece Race ramps, but I just have to ask. How do you drive a 14 Mustang up on 4 ramps???

Originally Posted by Traction
Originally Posted by wtd
thumbsup2.gif

lol.gif

I like my old Rhino's, and my 2-piece Race ramps, but I just have to ask. How do you drive a 14 Mustang up on 4 ramps???
I second this intriguing question.

Is anyone using something like this? It's getting close to Fall oil change time, and I still haven't figured out what I'm going to do ramp wise.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stark-Dr...ve-Hydraulic-Lift-Repair-Frame/275017861

They're a little on the expensive side at $3 bills a pair, but it looks like a good idea because it gives you a shallow enough drive up angle. But also allows you to get the vehicle as high as you need it by employing the built in jacks. It would be easier than jacking the car up from the get go and using stands, because the ramp itself gives you some fairly good height.

And jacking up a lot of these unibody frame cars are a PITA, because all of the jacking points are irregular, with sharp seamed edges that can fall off the jack easily. I struggled with my Jeep trying to get the thing on jack stands to rotate the tires. I sure don't want to go through that hassle every time I change oil. My Toyota is even worse. It has so much low plastic trim, I don't trust most of the ramps because of the high drive up angle. Along with them not getting the car high enough. And no one is going to let you, "try them before you buy them".

So it comes down to either spending the money, and being done with it. Or else screwing around creating another project by buying stud lumber, hauling it, sawing it up and getting sawdust everywhere, then buying screws and screwing it all together. I just thought I'd check in and see if anyone has a pair of these, and if so what they thought of them? Sometimes things that look good aren't always so practical when you go to use them. On the other hand if they work, I would rather simply part with the money, instead of creating another PITA project to deal with.

Looked at those online and talked myself out of it over cost and questions on build quality etc.
I still have a set of ladder style (similar) ramps and they used to slide like crazy so you might need to have plywood under them to add friction to concrete
Watched my son change oil (weekend) and because he parked about 3" short of the wheel stop the Rhino ramps distorted slightly both sides
Guess I'm stuck on my wood ramps … heavy and all.

That sounds strange. If I'm understanding you correctly, that sounds just like what I did one time--the bottom of the arc of the tires was just onto the level "plateau" section, and the tires were probably a good 3 inches short of the wheel stop if not more. No damage incurred.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Watched my son change oil (weekend) and because he parked about 3" short of the wheel stop the Rhino ramps distorted slightly both sides
Guess I'm stuck on my wood ramps … heavy and all.

i am in the market for a set of ramps also. reading the reviews on the Rhino Ramps there seems to be quite a few complaints of them breaking . Did they change something ? are the old ones better than the current ones sold?

Originally Posted by WhyMe
i am in the market for a set of ramps also. reading the reviews on the Rhino Ramps there seems to be quite a few complaints of them breaking . Did they change something ? are the old ones better than the current ones sold?
I can't really say for sure, but I know my old ones are phenomenal. I bought the more heavy duty set to do light duty jobs though...

Back