considering '06 Hyundai Azera

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to get my favorite daughter a college car. Needs to be reliable, sub $5k, etc.

I'm considering an '06 Hyundai Azera. Low miles, maintenance history, one owner. It has more options than we're looking for, but it's attractive.

I've never owned a Hyundai.

Any feedback is welcome.

Go for it! Hyundai/KIA 6 cylinder engines are generally regarded as reliable. Just change the oil when it needs it and drive on. Parts are VERY inexpensive for these older Hyundai's and OEM parts are cheaper pricewize than aftermarket. I would avoid the early to mid 2000s Honda's as they have very delicate transmissions and used transmissions are not cheap.

Originally Posted by boom10ful
Go for it! Hyundai/KIA 6 cylinder engines are generally regarded as reliable. Just change the oil when it needs it and drive on. Parts are VERY inexpensive for these older Hyundai's and OEM parts are cheaper pricewize than aftermarket. I would avoid the early to mid 2000s Honda's as they have very delicate transmissions and used transmissions are not cheap.

If it's a reliable transmission...early 2000s toyota...

Consumers Reports got a whopping 12 MPG city in their test of that car.
That may seem hard to believe, but you can look it up.

The best car for college is a hatchback if you live on campus and don't commute to school.

Talk of early 2000's Honda having junk automatics. They put sticks in many Civics and even Accords in the older Hondas.
But no one would dare teach their kid how to drive one.

I owned a 2007 Azera for 4 years, it was the worst car that I have ever owned. After many warranty repair visits the straw that finally broke the camel's back was, during a period when we had 90 straight days over 100 degrees, after the 3rd dealer visit to repair an A/C that would intermittently stop blowing cold, it came back with the same problem yet again.

I owned a 2006 and put nearly 100K miles on it. The only major issue was the bushings on the rear suspension wearing out more than once and causing the alignment to go awry resulting in several hundred dollars in repair bills multiple times. I had no mechanical issues on the engine or transmission. It would get between 25 and 30 MPG on the highway and had plenty of power. The only other issues was that Hyundai placed fabric on interior surfaces that should have been a different material (near the kick panels and such); the fabric would be easily stained and would take conscious effort to minimize soiling it and the external door handles "fell apart" at least twice requiring replacement.

Old Hyundais suck and were purchased by cheapskates who didn't have room in the beer budget for a Honda or Toyota.

Only exception is whatever car they built that used the Audi A6 as a benchmark. That one is legit.

On BITOG Hyundai doesn't get alot of love.

As soon by the majority of the responses above....it a waste of time to mention them.

Those of us who actually own them....like them.

This Toyota looks to be a vehicle that checks all of your boxes. I'd check it out and offer $4500 if it proves to be in good shape. Large enough and new enough to be safe for a college student and not too sporty/cool to get them into trouble.

2006 Toyota Avalon

Originally Posted by Ws6
Pretty much any early 2000s era Honda is pure gold, imo

Except all the ones with faulty auto transmissions.

Originally Posted by CKN
On BITOG Hyundai doesn't get alot of love.

As soon by the majority of the responses above....it a waste of time to mention them.

Those of us who actually own them....like them.

My piece of junk Sonata in my sig file is the best vehicle I have ever owned. This piece of junk had tons of warranty repairs--1. Loose wire on the dome light What a pile.
15.gif

Thanks for the responses!

The car sold, so no need to make a decision.

I'll keep my eyes open for more deals. Preferably a more basic 4 cylinder Honda or Toyota car.

Originally Posted by Tyson
Thanks for the responses!

The car sold, so no need to make a decision.

I'll keep my eyes open for more deals. Preferably a more basic 4 cylinder Honda or Toyota car.

Don't write off the Nissan with the SR20DE's. Those engines are [censored] near bulletproof, and if it does die, a junk-yard replacement is only a few hundred bones away...

Stick with a manual in all of these cases though, it will be good for your kid, and good for longevity of t he vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back