2011 Honda Accord i4 120k Miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 2011 honda accord i4 120k miles, atf seem very dark, i want complete flush this. alot peoples tell me using honda atf, what you guy think i can use. and how many time i need to change to get all fluid out, its very dark color right now. shift still fine

Last edited:
Many many many posts about Honda transmissions.

Simply, you don't need a flush, you do a triple drain & fill. It's as easy as changing engine oil.

Use Honda fluid only, it's much cheaper than a new transmission.

Originally Posted by LotI
Many many many posts about Honda transmissions.

Simply, you don't need a flush, you do a triple drain & fill. It's as easy as changing engine oil.

Use Honda fluid only, it's much cheaper than a new transmission.

i was thinking max life, but now im going back to honda atf , on triple drain and fill. how long i should go in between ? any guide on this drain and fill ?

while we at it, i want to do the power steering fluid change too, so factory honda fuid too ?

Last edited:
Maxlife is fine for your Honda. Castrol Full Synthetic ATF is also a great choice
smile.gif

For the power steering fluid, you don't have to get it from the dealer, but it does have to say Honda on the bottle. Any of the parts stores should have a PS fluid for Honda. Napa has Idemitsu brand PSF at a great price.

Honda is the only mfr where the trans dipstick is actually accurate
crazy2.gif

The 3-4x drain others suggested is the official Honda-sanctioned way to do a complete exchange, if you feel it necessary. You can go anywhere from around the block to a month between each drain.

Thank you sir
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Maxlife is fine for your Honda. Castrol Full Synthetic ATF is also a great choice
smile.gif

For the power steering fluid, you don't have to get it from the dealer, but it does have to say Honda on the bottle. Any of the parts stores should have a PS fluid for Honda. Napa has Idemitsu brand PSF at a great price.

Honda is the only mfr where the trans dipstick is actually accurate
crazy2.gif

The 3-4x drain others suggested is the official Honda-sanctioned way to do a complete exchange, if you feel it necessary. You can go anywhere from around the block to a month between each drain.

I agree with others in regards to using MaxLife or Castrol IMV(spec'd for your Honda).

As-far-as the power steering fluid goes, use any PS fluid that states for use in Honda/Acura PS systems.

If you lived in the northern states where the temperatures drop below ZERO, then I would suggest(based on personal experience) that you use Honda PS fluid ONLY as the other brands don't seem to be as good in sub zero temps.

Other brands of Honda PS fluid seem to cause some sticking/catching in the steering system when temps fall into the minuses IMHO. Otherwise you'll be fine.

Nice . I'm glad maxlife can be use on my Honda where dw1 fluid is require .

The fluid is pretty dark right now . I will do 3 x drain and fill with in a week apart . The last fill I will add new crush washer .

I'm in the minority but I'd only use Honda OEM fluids for ATF and PS. When I had Honda's/Acura's I only drifted from OEM fluids in my Manual Transmissions. Some shifted better with Amsoil and some [censored] better with Redline.

I can guarantee you that there are thousands of Honda's out there with well over 100,000 miles on them that the transmission fluid has never been changed. Better to change it than not, but most don't.

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
The fluid is pretty dark right now . I will do 3 x drain and fill with in a week apart . The last fill I will add new crush washer .
Fwiw, I think that's a good plan. I've used ML since Z1 discontinued with single d&f 25-30k mi. service intervals. It's functioned fine in a couple Honda vehicles, both not noted for being especially reliable. One a V6.

I think with unknown service history, the 3x d&f with a little break a good strategy.

Originally Posted by MetalSlug
Nice . I'm glad maxlife can be use on my Honda where dw1 fluid is require .

maxlife won't damage your transmission but Honda fluid probably has some proprietary chemicals in it for better operation that maxlife doesn't. The new fluid mixes with the old as soon as you start it up. 5-10 miles apart is fine. Do it all in one session instead of having to drag out the tools and ramps 3 times.

I've used non-Honda ATFs in Honda automatic transmissions, but at this point I use only DW-1. The others have been ‘probably good enough,' but DW-1 shifts discernibly better and avoids certain mild but annoying noises. Honda DW-1 is formulated noticeably differently from every other ATF, including those which _claim_ to be especially for DW-1 replacement.

Honda power steering fluid is also different than every aftermarket option I know of. The Honda fluid is noticeably thicker. Here again I've used aftermarket fluids in Hondas, but at this point I put Honda PSF in. It's not particularly expensive, and I don't have a reason to investigate the long-term effects of using lower viscosity fluids.

Swing by the Honda dealership and buy the Honda DW1. Three quarts. Drain,then refill with the three quarts of Honda DW1.

When I bought my Accord,I went with all Honda oem fluids. I did the transmission, power steering,brakes,radiator,and oil (oil being Pennzoil Platinum with Honda oem oil filter).

There's been a number of fluid analysis done on ATFs that people like for Hondas along with evaluations of DW-1. DW-1 has a very unique composition and Maxlife, Castrol, Idemitsu, etc are nothing at all like DW-1. For about $2 more per bottle, I'd stay with DW-1.

Honda has a written procedure for multiple drain and fills and they say to keep the vehicle on the lift during the entire process. Drain fluid, replace fluid, start car and go through the gears. Drain fluid, replace fluid, go through the gears. Now, most of us don't have a lift so we really can't do that so people go drive around the block a few times and repeat or some people drive normally for a few days or a week and repeat the drain/fill. Likely makes not enough difference to worry about....

I did 4 dump and fills on my civic to get the color to prestine, then one dump and fill yearly for ongoing maintenance. This way the magnet on the drain bolt is cleaned more frequently. I only use Honda fluids, atf and psf because at almost the same cost I can sleep better. At 100k miles it shifts like a dream for a 2004.

I had a 2010 that I ran 10k oci on and dropped and added 3 qt every other oil change. I even cut a slot in the belly pan so it didnt need to be taken off to drop the transmission fluid. Statistically it was better than the drop 3x method

I bought a 2000 accord 5 years ago. It shifted funny acting like the torque converter had issues. The fluid was a dull red and smelled old and a bit dark. 109000 miles on the car, didn't know the history of transmission fluid changes wasn't sure if this was the original trans in this v6 honda. I talked to a Honda dealer parts guy. He told me 2 drain and fills. First change at 1000 miles then drain again and then change every 30000. He said that the transmission in my car was known for scrappy shifting. He said new fluid helps it shift better but that was the nature of that transmission. Now I'm at 253000 miles. After the first fluid change i noticed a considerable improvement in the shifting. I kept up the plan and all is good.

Quick update : I do want get Honda wd1 fluid . But dealer closed today . And tomorrow I'm back on 200 miles trips work and go home

I did a drain and fill with ML . Some how it's almost 4 qt came out but I put in 3 qt and take out for short drive . Come back home . Add a tiny more and go back out do a quick drive . Went home . It's right on the money . Imma do 2 more drain and fill . Since it still look dark but shift much smoother . I will do drain and fill every month for next 2 drain and fill . Then 15k ( every 2-3 oil change I will do drain and fill with ML

Also do 3 x drain and fill on the power steering fluid with Napa Honda Acura fluid .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back