EverSart Wal-Mart Batteries

Noticed my local Central, Missouri Wal-Mart Battery department started looking different. I started looking & realized these New looking Everstart Batteries are re-labled Exide batteries! The group 29 are actually an Exide Group 31 rated 115 ah @20Hr) & the Group 27 are 105 ah @20hr. Yes they also sell the group 24's too. I've had good service out of the Exide batteries I bought from my local Menard's. Anyways, I did weight my Exide group 27 I already own & it was 58 pounds. The 29's are going to weight more by at least 4 pounds.

IMG_20190823_113930.jpg

IMG_20190823_113950.jpg

IMG_20190823_114012.jpg

IMG_20190823_114019.jpg

The experience with Exide batteries here on BITOG and the one I had (MAXX from Walmart) was not good. I have looked closely at Walmart batteries in NY and could not find any marking to indicate who actually made the battery. A few years ago they said JCI.

I have a leaking boat battery but its because my Mastiff chewed the top of the case.

You mean (n)Ever Start? Hopefully, they have moved away from their former supplier with this change because in the past, they were not worth the effort to put into a shopping basket.

My 2 yr old 27 exide on my basement sump pump (in float mode), after being unhooked for 24 hours & being 2 years old, held 13.46v!

Originally Posted by fantastic
I've had good service out of the Exide batteries I bought from my local Menard's.

My local Menard's has switched to ACDelco batteries. I almost purchased one right after the switch because they had an intro special of most batteries for ~$75, but I didn't bite.
I've not had good luck with Exide batteries. Every single one I've ever purchased grew corrosion at a fast rate. Although I've heard the newer ones have better technology to correct this. Dunno if it's true.

True story about an Exide that I purchased from Menards about 4-5 years ago: The calendar date was February 2 and I went into a Menards to get a new battery. I picked the size that I wanted and looked at the date sticker on the battery. The date on it was "February (of that year)". So think about it......Let's give Exide the benefit of the doubt and say that the battery rolled off the assembly line at 12:01AM on February 1st. It then goes to the manufacturing's warehouse. It then gets loaded into a semi delivery truck. It then (possibly) goes to a Menards distribution warehouse OR directly to the selling store's back room. Then to the shelf where a customer would purchase it. All in one day? I've heard that the stickers are peeled off and newer stickers are installed after the battery is examined by somebody in the store. I seriously doubt my battery hit the store room one day after being manufactured.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
You mean (n)Ever Start? Hopefully, they have moved away from their former supplier with this change because in the past, they were not worth the effort to put into a shopping basket.

The regular Everstart has a 1 year free replacement (Good) and the Everstart Maxx has a 3 year free replacement and I believe it's Pro-Rated up to 5 years (Best).

The $50 Valuecraft are as good as any I've found and come with a 1 year warranty. Funny how the Pick and Pull sells "reconditioned" batteries for $60 with a 90 day warranty.

johnson controls sold their battery business + wallys generally gets the closest battery producer to build their batteries because they are heavy + shipping costs. in my area Pa they are reported to be made by east penn mfg + sold under various brand names

BITOGGERS, Here is your tip of the day: When shopping for the EverStart batteries at WalMart, you can easily determine the manufacturer of the auto or marine battery. If you look at the bar code that appears on the label on top of the battery, you will see an alphanumeric code that corresponds to the bar code. The first two letters represent the manufacturer of the battery. For example, if you look at the OP's 2nd photo, the alphanumeric code starts with "EX" representing Exide. Similarly, the "JC" batteries are from Johnson Controls and the "EP" batteries are from East Penn. Sometimes the label will also identify who the manufacturer is (as shown at the bottom of the 2nd photo); however, not all EverStart batteries have this disclosure. Trust the serial number adjacent to the bar code.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Nukeman7
When shopping for the EverStart batteries at WalMart, you can easily determine the manufacturer of the auto or marine battery.

Why is that important to know? I mean, are you going to walk out the door if it's one manufacturer or another?

Originally Posted by atikovi
When shopping for the EverStart batteries at WalMart, you can easily determine the manufacturer of the auto or marine battery.

Why is that important to know? I mean, are you going to walk out the door if it's one manufacturer or another?

You bet I'm walking if it is manufactured by Exide. I'm not wasting a penny on any Exide battery. My experience with them has been atrocious. On BITOG, StevieC and Chris 142 have had similar history with Exide.

You bet I'm walking if it is manufactured by Exide. I'm not wasting a penny on any Exide battery. My experience with them has been atrocious. On BITOG, StevieC and Chris 142 have had similar history with Exide.

Evershart, a good name for these batteries

Johnson Controls or Deka (East Penn) are pretty good at Walmart when you can find them.

I hate Exide - huge waste of money

Yes if Excide

Back