Is FRAM good to go now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must have missed something from way back when FRAM filters had the cardboard and every other possible cost cut measure in them.....However, these days I seed people using and recommending them. What gives? Did they change their ways or what?

They were never as bad as they seemed. They were just the most commonly sold filter so naturally you would see more reports of bad QC.

i do think their QC was bad for awhile but the company has changed hands several times, too. It has been a good while since I've seen someone post a problem with those endcaps. Please link if I'm wrong.

On the other end of the spectrum their XG filters seem to be top notch in both construction and filtering efficiency. I've been running them in my vehicles, and while I've not seen the inside of a can, the cartridges have come out looking great. Of course, they should. I've put nowhere near the 20k miles on them for which they are rated.

People would get all riled up about the fiber end caps and make a fuss about Fram using them. Fram is and never was the only filter maker to use fiber end caps. For a lot of folks the issue was that for the price of the basic Fram filter you could get a better filter.

You can get a fram extra guard for less than $4, it has a silicone ADBV and has an efficiency rating of 95% at 20 microns. There are more expensive filters with worse efficiency than the extra guard. I honestly think the extra guard is probably the best value in filters right now if the fiber end caps don't bother you and you are doing regular oil changes 5,000 - 6,000 miles.

This Fram Extra Guard has 13,000 miles on it and is changed out at 15,000 miles on my Triton V10. On my 5.9 Cummins I switched from Amsoil to Fram Ultra and run these to 30,000 miles. Great filters.:)

[Linked Image]

Nobody's going to complain about the EG's 95% efficiency, costing below $4. That efficiency at that price point are hard to beat. But I have to say I would LOVE to see an EG cut open after 15,000 miles. Could you please send it to one of our forum filter cutters (53 Studebaker is one, he's cut one of mine open), if you don't do that yourself?

Originally Posted by A310
This Fram Extra Guard has 13,000 miles on it and is changed out at 15,000 miles on my Triton V10. On my 5.9 Cummins I switched from Amsoil to Fram Ultra and run these to 30,000 miles. Great filters.:)

Last edited:
Sure will
Originally Posted by paulri
Nobody's going to complain about the EG's 95% efficiency, costing below $4. That efficiency at that price point are hard to beat. But I have to say I would LOVE to see an EG cut open after 15,000 miles. Could you please send it to one of our forum filter cutters (53 Studebaker is one, he's cut one of mine open), if you don't do that yourself?

Originally Posted by A310

I sure will.:)

Originally Posted by tundraotto
I must have missed something from way back when FRAM filters had the cardboard and every other possible cost cut measure in them.....However, these days I seed people using and recommending them. What gives? Did they change their ways or what?

I have used tons of FRAM TOUGH GUARDS. Never a issue. Same old wives tales saying QSGB and PYB caused sludge.

Besides the point; I have cut hundreds of FRAM and fram made filters as well
smile.gif

Originally Posted by Bud
... For a lot of folks the issue was that for the price of the basic Fram filter you could get a better filter.

That was my issue with them in the past (like 2004-2005 timeframe). At that time, I could get a Wix filter for about the same price, and the Advance Auto store brand (the ones with the grippy paint) and Carquest filters were excellent filters for less.

Now the Extra Guard is still about the same price as 15 years ago, and updated internals, yet the others are 2-3 times the price with no changes.

My prefered filter is WIx/NAPA, but have not run one in a few years (aside from the Wix made CarQuest Blue on my Scion) due to cost, my local NAPA never follows national 1/2 price sale.
Most of my filters are clearance or package deals with oil, but if I ever need a filter right now and have to run to the store to buy one, it is either a Supertech filter or an Orange Can (I don't like the combo valve on any filter, so I won't buy an ST2 for my truck, would be a PH2).

Fram claims to have undergone a new quality control system several years ago, whereby every filter is scanned before leaving the plant where they are made--and then the scanned image is compared with a model of what it should look like, to make sure that bad filters don't leave the plant. At any rate, one way you can verify a bare minimum of quality is simply to go through cut and posts here of Fram EGs, especially the one that fits your car. Now looking at a filter will not tell you how much gunk in the oil it captured, but it will tell you if there was a tear, or some other failure of the unit itself.

Not a fan of the orange frams. I think they are over priced for what you get. The higher rated Fram filters are ok if oyu get them onsale/clearance.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
They were never as bad as they seemed.

They were HORRIBLE 20 years ago when Allied-Signal/Honeywell owned them!!

They've been really good the last 10 years or so

Do they still have less than half the amount of filter media (of really thin paper) compared to mfg & champion labs etc (I have seen people not so fond of Champion labs filters in the past few years) I'm kinda scared now I don't know whats up or down anymore!? With the pressure relief PSI ratings and filter media microns I usually go with mfg filters but theres always a few 4-wheelers and lawnmowers....

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I just wish they'd thicken up the cans.

When was the last time you seen a can burst from oil pressure?

They are in use every day. All across America
I have not seen any bad pictures of them in quite a while on this forum
Good bang for the buck

Originally Posted by toneydoc
They are in use every day. All across America
I have not seen any bad pictures of them in quite a while on this forum
Good bang for the buck

They were in use all-day-every day-all across America when they weren't doing ANY filtering either......
Good bang for the buck, kinda depends if they have any real amount of media that filters anything at the right micron level, without the media bursting a hole in it, or the filter running on full bypass all the time.....I figured lots of people would have cut a lot of them open by now...... ('the new' FRAMS) and deemed they had improved and become popularly recommended....When the change/improvements and what are they - if any?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back