Post your latest oil change

Originally Posted by Twopair
I would stay away from Fram unless they changed the design. Heard several stories from mechanics they don't circulate well after a few thousand miles.

I'd love to hear from these mechanics about how exactly they'd know that was happening. Sounds like garage BS. I've done a good number of UOA's with Fram filters and they don't indicate any issue, at all.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Moronic first post from a troll is what it is.

Do people troll internet sites like Bitog just looking for places to make stupid posts?

I hear a lot of the same things from older people that come through Walmart. Probably in the 50+ age group. Especially about Pennzoil and Fram. I've heard a lot of people comment on Pennzoil sludged there engine even changing it every 3K. Even had a mechanics tell me this too. My dad will say the same thing when he worked for Buick in the mid 80s. Funny thing is all of the stories come from about 1970s-1980s. I do believe Pennzoil was junk back then, not the same case now.

And you very well know BITOG disliked Fram for many years. It wasn't until a few years ago that image started to change, especially accelerated with Purolator's nonsense. I've heard complaints also from the older age group about Fram filters. Such about the poor ADBV causing terrible dry starts. Again this is obviously not the case anymore. These complaints where warranted at one time, but not anymore.

Originally Posted by Twopair
I would stay away from Fram unless they changed the design. Heard several stories from mechanics they don't circulate well after a few thousand miles.

That was like 25 or 30 years ago...

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

I hear a lot of the same things from older people that come through Walmart. Probably in the 50+ age group. Especially about Pennzoil and Fram. I've heard a lot of people comment on Pennzoil sludged there engine even changing it every 3K. Even had a mechanics tell me this too. My dad will say the same thing when he worked for Buick in the mid 80s. Funny thing is all of the stories come from about 1970s-1980s. I do believe Pennzoil was junk back then, not the same case now.

And you very well know BITOG disliked Fram for many years. It wasn't until a few years ago that image started to change, especially accelerated with Purolator's nonsense. I've heard complaints also from the older age group about Fram filters. Such about the poor ADBV causing terrible dry starts. Again this is obviously not the case anymore. These complaints where warranted at one time, but not anymore.

Spot on.

2018 TRD Pro 4 runner 13500 out with Havoline pro DS 10w30 in went bulk 0w20 -Toyota cafe. Filter changed. Time driven OC as Toyota care period ending.

2018 TRD Off-road Tacoma 22500 out with bulk 0w20 Toyota care oil in with Mobil 1 0w40 no filter change.
Convenience or "ahead of time OC since starting a new position in a town 240 miles away and don't know what life is goi g to look like.

2014 jeep wrangler
3.6 L pentastar V6

OCI: ~5k miles

OUT:M1 5w20
Microgard filter (OReillys)

IN: STP (Autozone) conventional 5w20 6 qts
STP standard oil filter

2002 Nissan Terrano 2,7 Tdi, 245k km,6 k OCI, 11k on filter . Leftovers used, 5lt of Total 5w40 a3b4, 1 litre of Yamaha oem 10w40 outboard that has been 10 years in garage, and some e7 5W30 Urania. Filtron filter (made for MANN Hummel).

2018 Honda Pilot - Out was 10 month old 0W-20 Mobil EP and a Fram Filter and in went mostly (5L) 0W-20 Ravenol ECS and a little (0.4L) leftover 0W-20 Valvoline Syn with a Mobil 1 EP filter. Going to get a UOA on the Mobil EP I dumped since I've gone to 10K mile OCI because I don't think it really matters and because it's easier to remember.

2013 F150

Havoline high mileage 5w20. 6 qts.

Mc blend 5w20. 1.7 qts

Had it in hand. Or I could've used Miles Petroleum Blend 5w30.

Stuck with recommended grade.

Info sheets.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid 69,918mi
out - 4.5qts MC 5w20 & FL910s(probably, oil change by ford dealer before i bought the car in march)
in - 4.5qts Havoline Full Syn 5w20 & Napa Gold 1348

Took the car to the AAA Car Care Plus near my Buddy's place in Columbus, they ONLY use Havoline Full Syn, and Napa Gold Filters.
$35.99 for AAA members, $40.99 or non-members. wish there was one nearer to my house.(not 100mi away)

only reason I went to a shop, I'm still a bit gun shy about ramps after going OVER my old ones in my old car...

1996 Chevy 1500 WT 4.3 238,201.
Out Harvest King All Fleet 5W40 treated with lubegard bio/tech. 5,000 miles.
In Four qts Harvest King All Fleet 5W40 treated with 15 ounces of lubegard bio/tech.

Filter is left in place i change it every 15,000 miles it will be changed on the next oil change.

2006 5.3L Silverado K1500 Crewcab w/ 183K miles, 50K miles in new crate engine:
Out: Chevron Supreme 5W-30 and D3332 filter
In: QSUD 5W-30 and Fram XG3506

Also the 4th transfer case fluid change with Auto Trak II.

Slapped 4 new BFG A/T KO2 tires on it as well. Size LT265/70/17C.

It's a good dependable Alaskan truck.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
You only got 133k miles on the previous engine?

Yes. Bad cam/lifter failure -- terrible scraping noise. Unfortunately, somewhat common for this engine.
frown.gif

And yes, I did baby or properly take care of the first engine.
NL7W

2018 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5i
74,307 miles
Rotella Gas Truck 0W-20

I feel like the engine is noticeably quieter and smoother running Rotella Gas Truck compared to Mobil 1 AFE that I have used in the past.

20190904_093531.jpg

Back