Water coming from exhaust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I am looking at buying an old E320 coupe Mercedes as a restoration project.

The seller says that when it runs, water spits out of the exhaust.

I know these commonly had head gasket issues.
Just wondering if this is a head gasket issue or possibly a cracked head?
And can cracked heads be repaired?

Could just be condensation in the exhaust system and I see this all the time. However, there are ways to actually check if the head gasket is leaking or if there are other more serious issues. Others will chime in with that.

You would have an unpleasent "sweet" odor and white smoke coming from the exhaust if it were from coolant. One reason if not present, I drill a small hole at the lowest point on the back of the muffler to let the corrosive condensation drain out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Could just be condensation in the exhaust system and I see this all the time. However, there are ways to actually check if the head gasket is leaking or if there are other more serious issues. Others will chime in with that.

In addition to what I mentioned here^^^.
Whenever I watch a youtube car review video and the reviewer/host shows off the engine(idling & reving), then the camera goes around back to the exhaust and shows the driver absolutely revving the snot out of the engine for the viewers listening pleasure(?), there is typically water just completely spitting out of the tailpipe. To me, that is just condensation.

As mentioned it could be condensation. A simple fool proof way to check if there's a head gasket, or cracked head is to pressure test the cooling system. If I were interested in buying the car I'd either ask permission to pressure test the cooling system or have a shop do it. If the seller refuses I'd probably pass on the car, or make an offer reflecting the cost of the worst case cost of the repairs.

normal Every single time Im at the gas station a river of water coming out of mine (could be the slope at the gas station)

05.gif
or at lest a ton of it comes out of the second muffler (yes mine has two mufflers in parallel )

i would check the oil cap to see if it has been cleaned(RUN away if it has been cleaned) and loook for oil in the cooling system the radiator cap will get crusty (if it's new run away )

it's not fool proof but worth a look

but the second muffler IS HUGE i mean huge its about 4.5 feet long and 2 feet wide
makes for a very quiet ride

the other day i passed a motor bike cop he was looking at my suv listing to my rear brake pad squeak wondering why the engine is quiet I was in auto stop..

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid

or at lest a ton of it comes out of the second muffler (yes mine has two mufflers in parallel )..

Probably not parallel …

most likely in series: engine-> cat conv -> main muffler -> resonator -> tailpipe

typ single exhaust =

resonator-> Muffler -> Tailpipe

and to add weight and complexity so you can have a dual exhaust LOOK

------------------/ Mufflerette 1->tailpipe 1
Resonator ->
------------------\ Mufflerette 2->tailpipe 2

So that's in parallel.

Last edited:
Considering water is a combustion byproduct, it can be anything from normal to major issue depending on the amount, smell,color etc.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

It isn't condensation. I didn't see it, however the seller told me over the phone that "you put a liter of water in, and a liter of water comes out of the exhaust".

I decided against the purchase of the car though as it was sadly a bit too far gone and the cost of a neat example is far less than the cost of getting this one up to spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back