Do you need to tell your insurance that you tow a boat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My concern is they deny a claim and say well we didn't know you were towing a boat behind this truck.

I once told an insurance company that I periodically towed random trailers, and about 3 months later the insurance company called asking me why and I said cause I have a truck and it's a buddies trailer. For some reason he couldn't comprehend this and I never did get an answer about whether or not the truck is still covered if it had a trailer connected to it with no insurance.

Same company that has all my vehicles has my boat - when I login, have to select car or boat icon

People (drivers) should be insured. Some of us have several vehicles and pay high premiums. I can only drive one at a time. But, what do I know? Insure the person for any vehicle....Though this isn't reality.

OP your rates will increase!

Going by memory of years-old knowledge, I believe if you own the trailer, it needs to be added as an endorsement to your auto policy for that specific vehicle. If you borrow a trailer, it doesn't need to be specifically endorsed. Please double-check with your agent first as I could be remembering this wrong!

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman
Every trailer you add adds like 200 bucks to the premium and I have 3 of them.

Check with Texas Farm Bureau Insurance.

I have three trucks, two cars, two farm tractors, two trailers, an RV, a welding rig, all my tools, buildings, and all my property liability under one combined policy for really quite cheap (No accidents or driving violations, credit score 800+)

They wouldn't take my two motorcycles, though. That's OK, they're less than $100 a year through Dairyland.

I'd suggest you add your trailers used for business at very least.

Originally Posted by madRiver

I'd suggest you add your trailers used for business at very least.

They are and the truck has a commercial policy.

I put separate insurance on my trailers. My two trailers are high dollar so it's worth it to me. My insurance company (pure) doesn't do it so I have progressive on the trailers.

Uhhhh, read your policy ?

That's just it I ask the insurance people and they don't know either.

And that's the end of it ? When they tell you "we don't know", your response to them is "I need you to check with your underwriters and find out for 100% certain. Give me a call when you hear back from them. Thanks."

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Uhhhh, read your policy ?

That's just it I ask the insurance people and they don't know either.

And that's the end of it ? When they tell you "we don't know", your response to them is "I need you to check with your underwriters and find out for 100% certain. Give me a call when you hear back from them. Thanks."

Towing is very common . If I had an insurance company and/or agent that didn't know how the policy covers it-I'd be looking for another agent/company.

Is this insurance to get comprehensive and collision, or just liability? Quick scan indicates that liability is covered by the tow vehicle's insurance (in case you as the driver screw up). Or is this for commercial applications?

I've never bothered with trailer insurance. For years I had a cheapo HF trailer, not going to insure that.
wink.gif
I do have a larger cargo trailer now but it is likewise cheap and rarely full of anything I'm worried about.

The guy just wanted to add it to the policy is all. He used the term insurable interest. My question was will the truck still be covered with the insurance it currently has if a boat is attached to it. He kept running in circles with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I'm saying is if I tow the boat and I don't have insurance coverage on it, obviously they won't cover it, but since the truck DOES have comprehensive insurance will that insurance take care of any problems?

I'm not going to pay for insurance on a boat that drives 2 miles down the road to the boat ramp a couple times a month. The boat and trailer is already insured in case it sinks or the trailer gets stolen, but I don't think they includes vehicle wrecks while being towed down the road.

I'm not going to pay for insurance on a boat that drives 2 miles down the road to the boat ramp a couple times a month. The boat and trailer is already insured in case it sinks or the trailer gets stolen, but I don't think they includes vehicle wrecks while being towed down the road.

I think you need to call your boat ins company, I am sure it is covered for all loses. Your car ins company is NOT going to pay for something you trailer.

Last edited:
regular car ins would probably just cover liability. So the boat would not covered for a loss per se.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back