My first bad experience with a part ordered from Rock Auto.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used RA a lot. Never had an issue until now.

I ordered a grill for the Santa Fe as the other had paint that was all chipped up.
I ordered a part that was just above economy but not CAPA. Big mistake!

It has been a month and already the black paint is peeling and chipping off.

The funny thing is I thought the black paint was black plastic. Underneath the paint looks like fake chrome that was painted over.

Use better manufacturers RA!

20190831_151254-2016x1512.jpg

20190831_151247-2016x1512.jpg

20190831_151924.jpg

RA really doesn't care, they're just an online clearinghouse for a bunch of auto parts warehouses, who may or may not be selling good parts. In my experience, they're kind of like gambling. At least on eBay and Amazon, there's some kind of buyer protection against inferior parts.

I fail to see how this is RA's fault. RA doesn't make parts they sell them. This rant should have been against the manufacturer of said part, not the retailer.

Now see if Rock Auto will make it right. Unless you purchased one of those warehouse clearances. Then you might have a rant.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

Now see if Rock Auto will make it right. Unless you purchased one of those warehouse clearances. Then you might have a rant.

I am pretty sure I can ship it back and get a refund.

The bummer is taking off the front end fascia to do the repair a second time....
frown.gif

According to RA's policy, no full refunds on parts already installed. it is getting harder and harder to have them make it right

Yeah! Scroo RA! You should have went to the dealer and spent that $500 for that part. Lesson learned.

Originally Posted by csandste
If I already installed I might just try to patch it up with matching black paint. Especially if I saved big bucks over the "proper" part.
Scuff it, clean it with a solvent (I wouldn't use anything more volatile than alcohol) and repaint it. Guaranteed their crappy prep works on plastic but not chromed plastic.

So you knowingly bought a cheap part at a level less than OEM or even less as CAPA, and advertised as such, and the anger is with the seller?

You bought cheap junk and shouldn't be surprised at the results. Sometimes you get what you pay for. And in body parts to boot...

I got a Buick Encore totaled last year. A crash so slow that no airbags blew but which ran into $12000 in front end parts alone. A crappy grill from China was priced at well over a thou without installation. Decent parts would have run much more.

What does capa mean? Corrective/ preventive action? Lol.

You should've went with OE or at least used OE from eBay. If this is your first complaint from RA, you're doing pretty dang good my friend.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
What does capa mean? Corrective/ preventive action? Lol.

Certified Auto Parts Assoc

CAPA oversees a testing and inspection program that certifies the quality of automotive parts used for collision repairs. CAPA ensures that parts meet quality standards for fit, component materials, and corrosion resistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back