Costco Tire Rotation Recently

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, on my most recent visit to Costco for the tire rotation, they did not rotated my tires due to even, flat or worn out threads on my Bridgestone Turanza tires; It was a first time to face such scenario at Costco; They approach me and offer another set of Bridgestone tires at deep discount tires; So in the end I've rotate the tires on my own, visibly with lot of thread life left on the tires

Has anyone here been in such situation and why they would do that in your opinion;

Thanks for all constructive input!

IMG_6314.jpeg

IMG_6322.jpeg

They must have been looking at the inside edge. It looks like your alignment is out. Kudos for them offering you a new set (at a deep discount) when it appears to be a problem with your vehicle.

Originally Posted by miden851
....they did not rotated my tires due to even, flat or worn out threads on my Bridgestone Turanza tires

Not quite sure what you're trying to say there, if your tires are wearing evenly or if they have "flat or worn out threads". Which is it ?

The tires certainly look fine (from the pictures). If they are saying you don't need to rotate them because they're wearing evenly, well duhhhh to them ! That's why you rotate tires, to promote even wear !

Yes, I was told they were worn out more than certain percentage/rule they implement so that they do not do rotation in such situation

I put 40k on the set and they look decent and pretty much wore evenly across the width

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They are not even down to the wear bars. A little feathering on them would be reason to rotate. I would have pushed the matter up the ladder. What a bunch of Bull.

Never had that issue. It's been years since I've done a rotation at Costco. I'm using winter tires, so normally I don't need a regular rotation.

What are you going to do? Run the existing tires until they are worn out more?

How many 32nds are left across the width of each tire? It's difficult to determine how evenly your Bridgestones are wearing from your photos, given their assymetric tread pattern. They don't look great to me (the wear bars are looking like they're within a couple of 32nds), so I wouldn't say that you've been cheated, particularly if they're giving you a reasonable proration on a new set.

The tires are absolutely wearing more on the inside than the outside. I don't understand why they would not rotate them. I think they should have rotated them and alerted you about the problem and recommend that you need to solve the alignment issue. BTW: Most cars wear the tire more on the outside, not the inside.

When they are worn a bit more, you won't get that great discount. My Michelins look about like yours and I am getting them rotated soon so will see. Those guys get a lot of training so there must have been a reason for them not to rotate. 4 wheel drive, FWD, AWD or RD?

Thank y'all for quick responses!

the tires are warranted up to 75K miles and I'm sure I can squeeze another 30K from it; it is 215/50/17 tire; I don't mind Costco offer but I really do not have any problem with driving dynamics of my vehicle or with tires; to me is such a waste on their part; in addition, I haven't done alignment for a long time on my car but I've check it anytime i'm due for another set but never had issues with the alignment

and yes, they court me with an offer that I cannot refuse

as far as my toes go, this is a mechanical forum not a nail saloon right
laugh.gif

Costco will not rotate tires that have a tread difference between front and rear tires is more than 2/32nds of an inch. This is policy at sam's club as well. It is because if they move tires with less tread onto drive wheels, it is considered a safety issue. They have been sued in the past for it after people get in accidents, so don't blame Costco, blame the lawyers who go after deep pockets.

Originally Posted by BeerCan
Costco will not rotate tires that have a tread difference between front and rear tires is more than 2/32nds of an inch. This is policy at sam's club as well. It is because if they move tires with less tread onto drive wheels, it is considered a safety issue. They have been sued in the past for it after people get in accidents, so don't blame Costco, blame the lawyers who go after deep pockets.

A few years ago when replacing a rear tire (destroyed by a pothole) on my FWD car, I asked to put the new tire on the front. But Discount Tire insisted on putting it on the rear to minimize the risk of losing control due to oversteer. This might be a legitimate concern on the race track, but for commuting at legal speeds what's the risk? Besides, either way they are vulnerable to an unscrupulous lawsuit, because it could be argued that the driver could have stopped faster and steered straighter had the new tire been put on the front and the accident avoided.

Originally Posted by SandCastle

A few years ago when replacing a rear tire (destroyed by a pothole) on my FWD car, I asked to put the new tire on the front. But Discount Tire insisted on putting it on the rear to minimize the risk of losing control due to oversteer. This might be a legitimate concern on the race track, but for commuting at legal speeds what's the risk? Besides, either way they are vulnerable to an unscrupulous lawsuit, because it could be argued that the driver could have stopped faster and steered straighter had the new tire been put on the front and the accident avoided.

If you read the article on tirerack, it basically says that the reason they're on the back is that on a curve, the rear will spin out if there's less tread on the rear. If the worn tires are on the front, the front will give out first, but it's easier to control. Once the rear starts sliding out, very few people are good at recovering from it and you end up in a spin.

Ancient Youtube video that shows what happens when you have new tires on the front with have worn tires on the rear. 56K WARNING!

Yes their explanation was along these lines; Personally I think it is way too much, too restrictive policy because tires were just fine and could be driven for many more miles but since I've got a great deal on the new set I was compliant;

[Linked Image]

Once they changed the tires I went to nearby PepBoys to do alignment but it was little too late; I got there around 8pm when they were closing the place so I pan to do it sometime today after work;

I'll try to post current readings of alignment here tonight

Again, thanks for all constructive replies here!

These are the readings; I haven't done alignment in more then 120k miles now...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back