Not sure where to post this but...what is Marvel Mystery Oil for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a gallon of it (or whatever the big jug is) that I got for dirt cheap from somewhere I cant even remember. Anyway, whats it for? Is it used like seafoam?

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Nobody really knows.

Do you mean that it's a Mystery? I Marvel at all of the uses I can find for this oil.
smile.gif

My favorite use for MMO was to lube my pneumatic air tools. I had a little squeeze bottle and would periodically shoot a squirt into the air inlet nipple. Upon first use, it blew out in a fine mist but it kept the air guns working fine for years and years.

Ray

Originally Posted by DweezilAZ
Gasoline additive. Or for adding to oil before a change.

I even have an oiler unit for it on my Valiant

That would come in handy in case a big truck starts chasing you.

It is like spirits for your car. A little does no harm and may loosen a bit of carbon. A lot causes your car to sway and trip like a wineo.

I use MMO in my gas and I may use a shot (4oz per qt) in the crankcase to dissolve gum that causes your rotating assembly to drag, its a great solvent and harmless if used properly. Just remember if adding to the sump, it drops the viscosity about 1 point (from 11 to 10). In my experience, running MMO for at least 2K has some real positive results in the sump and your fuel economy shows some improvement.. Its also a tank stabilizer in diesel or home heating fuel with the ability to clean the furnace burner.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Lubes fuel pump, upper cylinders and fuel injectors.

What is upper cylinder lube?!?
And how does it survive upper cylinder combustion temperatures???

Originally Posted by DweezilAZ
Gasoline additive. Or for adding to oil before a change.

I even have an oiler unit for it on my Valiant

how hard would it be to DIY one of those..( i know they're only like $60, but...I like making things)
would it work for tcw3? in place of dosing 1 oz /5gal fuel?

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by ZZman
Lubes fuel pump, upper cylinders and fuel injectors.

What is upper cylinder lube?!?
And how does it survive upper cylinder combustion temperatures???

On "port fuel injected" engines, the little bit of MMO enters the cylinder with the fuel mist on the intake stroke.

Most of the fuel vaporizes, but the oil mist lands on the cylinder walls, where it helps to lubricate the piston rings.

I remember in the "old" days (1980's-1990s), it was the *SCHNIZZLE* for keeping pistons and piston ring grooves clean in aircraft engines (when added to the fuel).

These engines run on AvGas, which has high lead content.

MMO had/has:
tricresyl phosphate (an antiwear and extreme pressure additive, 0.1-1.0%), and
ortho dichlorobenzene (a softening and removing agent for carbon-based contamination on metal surfaces, 0.1-1.0%)
and it really worked great for helping keep aircraft piston engines clean internally.

My BIG questions is whether the formula has changed (gotten weaker) over the years or not......

Originally Posted by whatplsty
I have a gallon of it (or whatever the big jug is) that I got for dirt cheap from somewhere I cant even remember. Anyway, whats it for? Is it used like seafoam?

Its always a Mystery why the stuff is still sold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back