Rhino Ramps Collapsed

Yeah if they deformed, that's it, it's been stressed something awful lol. In the trash they go!

I regret buying my Rhino Ramps. They seemed like a good idea but jacking up a car is so much simpler. I don't like that nervewracking feeling of not centering or overshooting or any of that. Especially when I'm working on a car in the street. A jack lets me raise the car without moving the car and the stands feel more substantial to keep the car raised. The Rhino Ramps sit unused collecting dust. I wish I could just give them away but I don't like the idea that it may become a liability if I give it away and someone does something stupid and dies. I don't want to be sued for stupidity.

I've used my ramps maybe ten times. The one good thing is they give me a massive amount of room, I don't even think my 20" height floor jack can even come close. I could probably do jumping jacks under there.

If I were throwing them away, I'd smash them to bits first. The people around my parts have a habit of picking stuff out of trash. The last thing I want it someone picking it out, using it, dying and then going after me lol.

If I were throwing them away due to damage? I'd definitely destroy the ramps first, wouldn't even be a question. In today's society litigation is everywhere, leave a door on the fridge when you put it curbside? A kid climbs in, dies and now you're on the hook. I don't even want to argue whether it was my fault, easier to just destroy the ramps than waste a breath arguing someone shouldn't have taken it from my garbage.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Depends on how old they are. The company that made Rhino ramps several years ago went into bankruptcy partly due to claims regarding product liability. The surviving company supposedly made improvements to the newer versions. And plastic does age out eventually.

Mine are about 5 years old. Now I know why my wife wants me to carry my cellphone when I'm using my Rhino ramps.
I don't think this is accurate. I remember Blitz going out of business due to issues with flame arresters on their plastic gas cans, not anything that had to do with Rhino Ramps. As far as I'm concerned the Rhino Ramps have always had a good track record. They were sued to oblivion over their gas cans though.

I found a ramp made of 2x10s. It is heavy, but fine for my gravel driveway. Ramps will sink in asphalt. I have pieces of 3/4 plywood for bedding my jacks and stands. I keep a small pile of scrap 2xs, a few bricks and blocks . A concrete block used as it is in a wall, cores up, with wood on the ground and wood on top will hold tons. Flat side up, I wouldnt put 500 lbs on it. I had a cheap set of steel fold up when a weld tore ,more welds let go.. No welds to fail in a well cribbed pile of dunnage.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
For those that are uncomfortable with them, you can STILL put some jacks under the frame for extra safety. From an engineering perspective , I think they are very safe, as they are not likely to just collapse. They are more likely to smush down like pictured above, which still should leave you enough space to get out and not get injured. Metal ramps will instantaneously collapse without any warning whatsoever, all the way to the ground, and are much more dangerous.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Donald
I recall when you could sit in FRONT of a Subaru and change the oil and filter without going under the car.
That was almost true of my Subaru. I could lie in front of it and reach the drain and filter.
The Mazda was even easier, because I could reach both by reaching in from above, while standing.
No way to change the Prius without lifting it, though. I run it up on solid wood on one side, solid wood+concrete on the other side.

I have two sets of 12,000 lb Rhino Ramps. One is an older gray set that I've had for years and I can tell you that the plastic is thicker than the newer ones I just bought. I've had all kinds of vehicles on the older set including trucks and they are still solid. I'm not so sure how these newer ones will hold up but this thread does not instill confidence in them.

I used rhino ramps with my 3500 while hooked to my 5 horse. It was +30c out and it was up there for a few hours. Worked great and no deformation. I also don't run the wheels over the front lip.

Originally Posted by E365
I've pondered pouring some sort of two-part urethane / structural foam into the cavities on the bottom of mine.

My family used to be dead broke, and my dad found a functional fan that has a broken "neck". He fixed it by pouring epoxy (some left over from his work) into the plastic "cavity" and used it for another 20 years.

Originally Posted by red7404
oh no? 5,000 lbs have you ever had one?

Yeah, they're big, but I'm pretty sure any 4x4 1/2-ton pickup will weigh more.

Originally Posted by red7404
oh no? 5,000 lbs have you ever had one?

So, lighter than my Tundra.

And the Rhino ramps handle the Tundra just fine.

That said, when my previous set of Rhino Ramps hit ten years old, I replaced them.

UV exposure, age, whatever, I am simply cautious.

Cars, and the Tundra, sat on them for days at a time, outside, and they worked great, but after a decade in service, I got new ones.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
For those that are uncomfortable with them, you can STILL put some jacks under the frame for extra safety. From an engineering perspective , I think they are very safe, as they are not likely to just collapse. They are more likely to smush down like pictured above, which still should leave you enough space to get out and not get injured. Metal ramps will instantaneously collapse without any warning whatsoever, all the way to the ground, and are much more dangerous.

As a result of this thread I will be certain to put jack stands under the vehicle when it is on the ramps. I did that from time to time when using them, now I will do it all the time.

Eeesh....my Rhinos are more than 10 years old. They've never looked strange under load, but it may be time for replacements before they drop the Mustang on me.

Back