Effect of a tragic event on value of a home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw you guys ask how do people find out? It's pretty obvious when they roll out the stretcher and 4 of the neighbors are standing their watching.

Probably little to no effect in the hot markets. Prob already mentioned but.....location, location, location. In slower markets just have to wait for the right buyer to come along. Not everyone cares. They just want a nice home.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by gfh77665
Originally Posted by Skippy722
Bad voodoo man, I wouldn't step foot in the place.

Seriously? LOL.
lol.gif

Laugh all you want, it would always be in the back of my mind and it'd drive me crazy. Hard pass.

Sorry about the laughing, but you guys just slay me! Get it? SLAY ME!!
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by Kestas
Two houses over the owner committed a nasty suicide. A couple years later there's a nice family living there.

I believe these things need to be disclosed in Michigan.

I'm in a no disclosure requirement state. I don't even ask or research the property that deeply with the owner. We're only required to answer if we know, but if we don't know, can't be held against us. Did one sale where I knew one of the owners had passed away. Had one question where they asked if they had died in the house and I asked the owner and they said yes. Then I guess maybe they googled it or just had a concern about suicide, but they asked if it was by suicide and I ended up having to ask the owner that question, didn't occur to me that the answer was yes. So no offer from that party. But I did end up selling the house to someone else where those types of questions never came up. We sell the property. There's no scientific evidence for ghosts. There are many homes here that are 100-150 years old. Someone probably died in it at some point before hospitals became popular. If there are ghosts, probably the most are in the ER. People still go there though. Saw one house on the market from 1640, must have had a lot of people die in that one.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I'd pass.

Strange noises in the middle of the night where a murder occurred is not fun. Especially when strange things happen without an explanation.

This.

Plus, blood and body fluids seep into the floor and possibly walls.

Overly active imagination. There's wind and heat expands and contracts materials at different rates depending on the material. There's tons of blood and bodily fluids at the hospital. Even long lived virus/bacteria will be dead after a few days.

People watch horror movies, Amityville, Exorcist, Shining, and think what they see is real. There is currently a reality TV show about ghosts. The "researchers" go into long abandoned properties where people died and ghosts supposedly exist. Everything is filmed at night or in the dark, probably for more dramatic effect. Why can't they detect ghosts in daylight? Wouldn't be as scary.

People confuse entertainment with real life. Maybe that's part of the reason for bigger homes, higher priced cars. People want what they see on TV. Although to be fair, once you get it, they can be quite nice.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Overly active imagination. There's wind and heat expands and contracts materials at different rates depending on the material. There's tons of blood and bodily fluids at the hospital. Even long lived virus/bacteria will be dead after a few days.

But hospitals are made of materials that resist bodily fluids. Homes aren't. And hospital stays are brief. In the home that I mentioned, a couple was bludgeoned to death with a baseball bat. Their bodies laid there for a week. You can imagine what happened to the subfloor.

I don't believe in ghosts, but I couldn't live in a house where that gruesome scene unfolded even if the flooring and walls were replaced

Well that's just flooring. They cut out the section where the body was in the house I saw. Really just need to add some plywood for the subfloor and then do some new hardwood flooring and no one would ever know.

For all anybody knows, there could have been a serial killer or a regular murderer that lived in the very home that you're in now unless it's new construction. If they never got caught, then there'd be no news of it. You always hear of them solving some cases 20-30 years or more after the fact. I'm sure many others like Jack the ripper never really get solved.

I have decided to pass on the house and not bother with an offer. The house needs a lot of work and is all smoked up, not worth it in my opinion even without its history.

There is a house nearby my parents looked at that was the scene of a messy suicide back in the 70s, the original owner who I believe was a Vietnam Veteran used a shotgun, very sad situation. The house was only two years old when it happened and the only reason we knew its history is we knew the people that owned it, they bought it from the widow of the guy that killed himself. They lived there for over 30 years and enjoyed the house greatly.

The house where I lived during much of my childhood was built in the 1880s and has at least 3 natural deaths occur in it that I knew of, both my grand parents and my great grandmother passed there. This was during the 60 years that the house was owned by my family who bought it in 1950, so there was over 60 years of unknown history. I do know that there was a fire in the house prior to 1950 but I don't know how bad it was or if anyone passed because of it.

I will say in that house there was a bedroom on the second floor that always made me feel uncomfortable, even as an adult. Maybe it was just a carryover from my childhood, but even at 30 years old it really bothered me, it is just something I cannot explain other than it felt like someone was watching me. I am not sure if I believe in the paranormal or not.

If it is a famous murder then it would be difficult to sell later on (especially if it is paranormal or murder of a whole family, etc).

A typical death would likely impact for a few years until the disclosure clause expire, and then people will start forgetting about it.

Originally Posted by Ws6
This shows just how illogical people are. Cancer patient with dangerous drugs and so forth in their system...no problem. Murder with no lingering issue...run!

You can't fight the market. The same illogical people are buying all kinds of stuff for all kinds of reasons, but hey, if you want to buy it and never sell it ever, more power to you.

Unless the event was well known like the Manson murders then the affect will be limited.

Didn't you used to have 54 acres?
No, unfortunately not. This is the most land we have ever had. Must vbe thinking of another person, unless I fat fingered in a 4 in a previous post.

I have a nephew who lived in a haunted house. Was told his dog "saw" figures in the house, and he saw unusual events like balloons flying in circles by themselves. His mother (my SIL) swears she was confronted by a the figure of a slim man wearing a hat...she described it as a shade or shadow. It eventually "ran" away. My nephew didn't last more than a year in that house. I was never there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back