Stupid XG7317 cap tool question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using the XG7317 on numerous cars, including 3 Acura TSXs with the K24.
Horrible filter location.
My cap tool doesn't fit the filter due to the black non-slip coating.

Which cap tool are you using?
Thanks.

Originally Posted by chainblu
Have you tried tapping it on with a (small) hammer?

On the 1st gen TSX, the filter is in back, kinda high up. Zero room.

The Hyper Tough 65-67mm cap wrench from Walmart has a stepped business end that works very well with the XG7317 and other non-grippy filters. It is not particularly heavy duty but is fine for DIY. AZ has some that are a little heavier.

Lisle 63600.
Every. Single. Time.

shopping.jpeg

Last edited:
A 65-68 mm oil filter cap wrench with 14 flutes fit the Fram filters.

I have this Plews 70-781 Mini Cap Style Aluminum Filter Wrench. You can find it at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Plews-70-781-Aluminum-Filter-Wrench/dp/B001VGJAVW/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Filter+Wrench+-+Aluminum+Cap-Mini+70-781+Plews+%26+Edelmann&qid=1567300965&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Originally Posted by Imp4
Lisle 63600.
Every. Single. Time.

I have this tool. It has failed me, Every. Single. Time.

No grip. Tried everything. Maybe I just got a bad one or something.

I have not had a K motor for 13 years, is the filter still on the middle of the motor on the back side between the fire wall and the motor below the manifold. I would have thought they would have relocated that by now if that the case. I have 4 J motors and they are pleasant to remove the filter, I use big channel locks, and J motors are not messy!

When I had F and K motors I learned not to put the filters on so tight and I just used nitrile gloves and removed them by hand, but I was younger and stronger then too!

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Been using the XG7317 on numerous cars, including 3 Acura TSXs with the K24.
Horrible filter location.
My cap tool doesn't fit the filter due to the black non-slip coating.

Which cap tool are you using?
Thanks.

This one will get it off it doesn't care about coatings. Non-slip coatings make it grip even better. Best money I ever spent on a oil filter tool.

Motivx Tools Small Adjustable Oil Filter Wrench

https://www.amazon.com/Motivx-Tools-Adjustable-Filter-Removing/dp/B01BS5B3ZQ/ref=sr_1_5?crid=1LLP3WYIB0Q73&keywords=oil+fiter+wrenches&qid=1567335076&s=gateway&sprefix=oil+fit%2Caps%2C208&sr=8-5
[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Originally Posted by Sunnyinhollister
Lisle 63600. It has never failed me.
After looking at the Lisle for many years, recently purchased one from Amazon for $6.85, (lower price than in past). Used a couple times now on 7th gen Civic and 17 Rogue...works like a champ. In addition to being functional for all 7317/6607 slight filter dome variations, unlike the fitted cap wrenches I own, it doesn't get stuck on the filters and have to be knocked off after removal. Cam action works great. I would add like most bitogers doing diy, filters aren't over torque/tightened on the stud. Though I've read anecdotes expressing positive results, personally can't say how it works on a severely over-torqued filter. Made in the US. Here's a view of working/cam part the tool.

[Linked Image from amsoil.com]

Over-torquing has to be part of my problem, as I service the cars.
I have used M1 and Wix almost exclusively; BITOG has me on the Frams now.
I've almost never needed a tool to remove the filter.
It sounds ridiculous that the Frams tighten up more by themselves...
Maybe the 2 OCIs; dunno.

Thanks for all the responses.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Over-torquing has to be part of my problem, as I service the cars.
I have used M1 and Wix almost exclusively; BITOG has me on the Frams now.
I've almost never needed a tool to remove the filter.
It sounds ridiculous that the Frams tighten up more by themselves...
Maybe the 2 OCIs; dunno.

Thanks for all the responses.

Every filter I've ever installed always comes off harder than it took to put it on. Just the nature of the beast.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Every filter I've ever installed always comes off harder than it took to put it on. Just the nature of the beast.

Firm hand tighten on, really firm (sometimes super firm... ) wrench to get off ... gasket stiction, or maybe swelling ... or filter gremlins late at night ?

Aftermarket gaskets are almost always a square cut gasket unlike the OEM P-bead "stopper" type. I've always had to mangle off a Fram or Wix with an old Lisle 3-jaw filter wrench.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back