'04 F-250 brake issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stiff pedal, poor stopping. Replaced booster, still have stiff pedal. Seems to have strong vaccum, truck runs fine. Back brakes don't work at all. Did not have problems compressing rear callipers when putting on new pads. Booster was brakebest Re-man. Did not have vaccum tester, but it seemed strong enough to operate the booster. Any insight would be helpful.

Something that rarely happens...but it does: Check the flexible brake lines for an internal failure that turns them into a one-way valve. In other words, sometimes the brake fluid can travel in one direction down the line but can't return back.

Originally Posted by Kruse
Something that rarely happens...but it does: Check the flexible brake lines for an internal failure that turns them into a one-way valve. In other words, sometimes the brake fluid can travel in one direction down the line but can't return back.

+1

At some point i usually replace flexible brake lines as part of a brake job, usually around the 100k mark or 10 years. But i'm not in the rust belt. Some things i replace before problems start.

Last edited:
The problem started before replacing the pads. The brake switch on the pedal has like seven wires coming off it. It seems to me that it does more than just operates the lights

After a little reading, the switch has wires to the cruise control, and to the computer. Does the computer then send a signal to the master cylinder to make the brakes work?

Originally Posted by dalton
After a little reading, the switch has wires to the cruise control, and to the computer. Does the computer then send a signal to the master cylinder to make the brakes work?

no.

Originally Posted by spasm3

+1

At some point i usually replace flexible brake lines as part of a brake job, usually around the 100k mark or 10 years. But i'm not in the rust belt. Some things i replace before problems start.
Wouldn't be a BITOG brake thread without "make sure them flex lines ain't plugged in one d'rection".

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by spasm3

+1

Wouldn't be a BITOG brake thread without "make sure them flex lines ain't plugged in one d'rection".

Because its good advice. Brake lines do degrade, and while not extremely common, but on occasion, with age, they do fail internally and collapse when the master cylinder is released.

I prefer with brakes, to replace some items that are aged during a brake job, rather than wait for a brake line to fail on the road. I had this happen and it's not fun. It's also being considerate of the other drivers around you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back