Spark plug is toast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have oil consumption issue in my car where there is white/blue i cant really tell when the car is cold but it stops after moving, i have kept an eye on the oil level and it dropped after driving 1500km on 20w50 oil SL, the mechanic did a test to know if its valve stem or piston rings he pressed accelerate too high that dark smoke came out but not white or blue he told me that piston rings are fine, i took out spark plugs to check on them and 3 out of 4 look like the pictures i have attached, i drive 1997 Mitsubishi lancer 1300cc

IMG_20190830_005837.jpg

IMG_20190830_005822.jpg

Take some side cut pliers and clip the ground electrode at it's bend so the tip is at 45° from the center electrode. Won't stop the oil burning but you will get more life out of the plug before it bridges shut from the burn't oil. Try it!!! It works!!!

stock up on plugs. I had a work car do the same thing and I just got used to changing out two plugs every 3-4 weeks. You may want to see if a hotter plug is available which might buy you more time.

Its very hot in Egypt and as per the manual i need to use 20w50, i am tempted to use oil stop leak

Originally Posted by Espada
Its very hot in Egypt and as per the manual i need to use 20w50, i am tempted to use oil stop leak

I would give an HM oil a try. Maybe it will help but if valve seals have broken up or rings, nothing will help but repairing.

Originally Posted by Anduril
It's the valve sealsm. For whatever reason they always fail on Mitsubishis.

For as long as I can remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back