Suzuki ATV's?

Don't really need an ATV but... could use one I think. No serious riding, just as a tractor with treaded tires, really. Ok I'll wind up riding it eventually on trails, I might as well not fool myself.

Anyhow, looking for something with a 1 7/8" hitch to move my 4x8 utility trailer around, no crazy rough terrain. I can run the lawn tractor over much of my yard, but then out in the woods it changes (granted the trailer ain't going out in the woods). So looking on the used market, and I see a few Suzuki 250's quads. I presume they are ok? I mean Honda has the reputation behind them, but being the cheapskate I am I'm open to looking for better deals.

I'm kinda thinking of sticking with 2WD, just less stuff to break and give me grief; but of course 4WD would be nice. Cheap Chinese is tempting but I wonder if their smaller engines and poor reputation are good reasons to avoid.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
I'd buy used before cheap Chinese any day of the week.

That's my thought. I don't mind tinkering a bit but I'm not sure I want to mess with something too low of a quality. Quality stuff tends to be fixable.

I much prefer them to Honda

People like to assume Honda makes the most reliable powersports equipment because they make cars.
My opinion on Honda ATV's is they are the most outdated and under powered of the Japanese big 4.
The Honda 250 Fourtrax Recon has crappy drum brakes front and rear that are shot after a few hard rides.
I use to ride dirt bikes and my oldest brother was into ATV's.

Where I live, ATV's are a thing of the past as most everyone wants or has a side by side instead. Look for a deal and look up common parts to see if there still available.
Also to note is guys that ride sport ATV's tend to ride harder and push the limit vs those that ride utility ATV's.

I have a co-worker that bought a Chinese motorcycle years ago. A brand called Lifan. He had lots of problems with it in short order like the rear hub ripping apart despite him being skinny.
The speedometer cable snapping, the clutch basket falling apart. The cheapest aluminum and steel was used to make that POS.

Good point on winter riding. I do get cold stupid fast if I'm just sitting around. That reminds me though, I always did want a snowmobile... maybe the wife was right, I really do need to build a barn!

Side by sides would be nice, but for such light usage I can't justify. Sure would be nice, I can see why they are popular. If I had the dough to burn, yeah I could see why I'd rather have one of those.

The best thing to wear when outside in cold winter weather is a ski outfit. Not rigid and heavy like Carhartts.
The explosion of side by sides has made used ATV's affordable, at least where I'm at. Few seem to want one anymore. You have that in your favor.
Don't be afraid to offer a price which might insult the seller.

The 110cc Tao Tao ATV my kids have used for 1 year has already had more problems than my 1992 Honda TRX300 has had in its lifetime. I would definitely get a preowned Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, etc before a knock off.

A 2wd 250-300cc unit sounds perfect for what you have in mind.

I bought a new Suzuki 250 4x4 in 1988. The guy I sold it to is still enjoying it. For trail riding or any kind of work, buy a 4x4.

Yeah, I got real tempted by a 2WD 250 but held off. I'm starting to think I should just get a "garden" tractor instead, smaller and probably better suited for my needs. Just need tire chains for extra traction. The open diff plus turf tires on my Toro means it gets around, right until something drops into a pothole or hits a rock.

I bought a Suzuki Ozark 250 new in 2011. I just replaced the original battery two weeks ago, aside from lubricants and filters thats all I have ever done. Its been perfect. Look carefully, some newer models on other brands are made in china or thiland, if you want a Japanese atv, do some homework. Kawasaki does this now with some newer models, not sure about the other brands. Suzuki's lineup has been around for years and I dont think any of them are china models rebranded for zuk.

Get a 4x4 ATV if you want to ride trails. Don't even give it another thought unless you are using it on flat dry ground 100% of the time. Do not do off brand.

I have had Honda Foreman 450, Suzuki Kingquad 750 and a Yamaha Wolverine 350 2wd. Never had a single problem always reliable.

Honda Foreman 450 - carbed, lower speed 5 speed semi automatic transmission, solid rear axle for towing heavier loads...made to work.
Suzuki Kingquad 750 - efi, independent rear axle, CVT, high speed capability, can tow but not as heavy...made to have fun with some work
Yamaha Wolverine 350 2wd - carbed, mid speed solid rear,CVT, can tow

The 2wd Wolverine was the only ATV I ever got stuck on.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Get a 4x4 ATV if you want to ride trails. Don't even give it another thought unless you are using it on flat dry ground 100% of the time. Do not do off brand.

I have had Honda Foreman 450, Suzuki Kingquad 750 and a Yamaha Wolverine 350 2wd. Never had a single problem always reliable.

Honda Foreman 450 - carbed, lower speed 5 speed semi automatic transmission, solid rear axle for towing heavier loads...made to work.
Suzuki Kingquad 750 - efi, independent rear axle, CVT, high speed capability, can tow but not as heavy...made to have fun with some work
Yamaha Wolverine 350 2wd - carbed, mid speed solid rear,CVT, can tow

The 2wd Wolverine was the only ATV I ever got stuck on.

My 2WD 05' Honda Rancher 350ES has seen some serious trails over the years, but this is dry desert and not mud. Never been stuck, except for once in the mud that even with 4x4 I would have been stuck.

Bumping my own thread. Thinking about looking at these two quads:
Quad Runner 250, 4WD: https://nh.craigslist.org/snw/d/keene-suzuki-quadrunner/7016664005.html
King Quad 300 with a plow: https://nh.craigslist.org/snw/d/loudon-suzuki-king-quad/7018391387.html
Reviews online indicate both are good; I'm dithering on if I really "need" or just want a plow. Easier to buy with a plow and remove than it is to piece together one I know, so I'm leaning towards that (plus it has less miles, the bigger motor and an oil cooler).

Originally Posted by totegoat
If you have need for a plow buy the blue one and have fun.

Working on it, but typical CL wonkyness going on (people not getting back to me--I think CL email is winding up in spam folder, that happened once already to me).

Picked up a non running quad runner today, 4WD, 1994. 853 miles if the odo is to believed. So far found both inner front CV boots are torn, one is clicking, one front brake drags, tires are kinda bald, battery is assumed bad (not run in four years). Feels like it has compression and when I hooked up a gel cell I had lights. Not sure if I just want to dump in some gas and hope for the best. Came with a plow but no winch, but if it runs and moves that should be minor.

Fun Saturday project.
smile.gif

Pulled the fuel line, poured in some gas, and it will idle and rev. Good sign! I blew out the line to the carb but I think the fuel pump is kaput. It will hold a vacuum but if I try to modulate it I don't feel it suck, and it didn't move any fuel while it was running. It might be rebuildable, or it might just be clogged.

I hacked in the battery for the lawn tractor, temporarily (unless if it works).

It moves now. Last weekend ended with the fuel pump coming to life, but pumping fuel out at a good rate. New fuel pump didn't fix the leak, but a new fuel line did. It now moves and everything. It does have an electrical problem, the headlights are on in the switch position that they are supposed to be off in (but they go out in off so not a biggie), and it appears that switched 12V goes away occasionally--have to wiggle the wiring and it comes back, so fun times in finding that issue.

I jerry rigged a HF winch on and have the plow going up and down now.

Before plow attach.
[Linked Image]

Jerry-rigged plow just to see if all the parts were there.
[Linked Image]

Finally lash-up to see if the winch would work.
[Linked Image]

Back