Alternative for John Deere power steering fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been researching power steering fluid for my 1958 John Deere 620. I found lots of old threads on the antique tractor forums saying that you have to use Deere's AF2235R. They say the pumps don't work correctly unless its John Deere. Then others that use Hygard without issue.
Here is what I have found so far. Deere's AF2235R is made my Citgo and it's an EP 68 gear oil

My questions are:

Will Hygard work instead of the expensive AF2235R? What other fluids will work?

deere power steering oil

data sheet

msds

Hygard MSDS

Deere Hygard is ISO 48 to 68 which means it's basically a 10-20 weight oil vs the Deere AF2235R which is a 20W oil.

What is the latest thinking on this?

Thanks

I would use it. The new Hygard is used in modern tractor power steering, and transmissions. These newer units have very critical tolerances and run under very demanding conditions.

I've owned a number of two cylinder John Deere tractors and have used both fluids. When I actually used the tractors for field work, I found the JD power steering oil to be the better option. If you use Hy-Gard use a good brand, not generic that just claims to be 303 fluid

About thirty years ago I spoke with an engineer at Shell who at one time made the JD power steering oil. He explained the differences which i didn't fully understand but the overall picture was the power steering oil had some different extreme pressure additives and was a distinctively different product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by CJWinWA
I've owned a number of two cylinder John Deere tractors and have used both fluids. When I actually used the tractors for field work, I found the JD power steering oil to be the better option. If you use Hy-Gard use a good brand, not generic that just claims to be 303 fluid

About thirty years ago I spoke with an engineer at Shell who at one time made the JD power steering oil. He explained the differences which i didn't fully understand but the overall picture was the power steering oil had some different extreme pressure additives and was a distinctively different product.

Thanks I only use Hygard. Well I take that back my compact track loader and skid steeer uses Hydrau - of course it's a John Deere product too.

I don't plan on working the tractor any other than maybe seeing how it does pulling my 6' brush hog for a few rounds.

Over the years, I experienced some issues with the seal on the shaft that powers the PTO. There is a seal on the PTO input shaft where it enters the PTO clutch compartment. When this seal goes, gear lubricant from the transmission sections gets into the PTO clutch compartment that is supposed to be filled with 10W engine oil. I never had an issue with these seals when I used the PTO for light work such as running an auger, the seal issues did pop up when I used the PTO for heavy stuff such as mowing as running a baler. The inner PTO seal is a major PITA to replace.

Just an FYI.

Originally the hydraulic system specified 10W engine oil, I switched to Hy-Gard with no issue.

Thanks, I just drained and refilled the gearbox, hydraulic and PTO today. I used Traveller 90W GL1 mineral oil from Tractor Supply for the gear box and first reduction gear. For the hydraulics and PTO I used Hygard

My comments about the PTO input shaft seal should not be regarded as meaning the seal system is a bad design or that the PTO is weak, just that the seals are getting old in these tractors.

Do you keep the tractor inside? If it lives outside, water gets into the transmission/differential around the clutch fork shaft and the gear shift. If you can cover those areas in some way it greatly reduces water getting into the case.

Originally Posted by CJWinWA
My comments about the PTO input shaft seal should not be regarded as meaning the seal system is a bad design or that the PTO is weak, just that the seals are getting old in these tractors.

Do you keep the tractor inside? If it lives outside, water gets into the transmission/differential around the clutch fork shaft and the gear shift. If you can cover those areas in some way it greatly reduces water getting into the case.

Thanks again. Yes sir, it stays in my barn or shop. I don't know what kind of life it had before I got it but I plan on taking care of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back