Amsoil 5W30 Signature Series in Ecoboost with BG MOA

[Linked Image]

Glad you recd your UOA. Is the MOA the new synthetic version? Thought Ca and Z would have been a bit higher, but I'm no expert.

Originally Posted by buster
Fe and Cu are elevated. What's the purpose of adding MOA?

Placebo effect.

But the moly and Ca do look a bit higher than SS alone.

Last edited:
I would probably just go with Rotella Multi Vehicle or Gas Truck 5w30.

Also need to see where that silicon is coming from... check air filter and piping.

Ecoboost (per title) and it's a 5.4L (per Blackstone)? I take it Blackstone has the incorrect engine and universal averages for your truck or
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by The Critic
Originally Posted by buster
Fe and Cu are elevated. What's the purpose of adding MOA?

Placebo effect.

But the moly and Ca do look a bit higher than SS alone.

Based on other UOA's on this oil and grade, the Mg and moly are only elevated. Everything is fairly the same. What's interesting is this oil, with the BG MOA addy, sheared a full point more than the same oil in a 3.6L V6 Jeep..add insult to injury, the oil in the Jeep was ran a full 3k miles more than this oil. Is it possible the V8 v. V6 had any kind of role in the shear difference or the BG MOA addy threw off the oils chemistry/AW properties somehow?

Pretty expensive oil change in my opinion...

Amsoil 5/30 in Jeep (7.5k)

Last edited:
The Blackstone assumption is correct. This engine had significant work done on it. The chain, camphasers and many parts were replaced by the dealer. This is probably why the silicon, copper and extra iron are in this sample.

Im not sure about the Jeep but this engine is turbo direct injection and is known for fuel dilution. The dilution is my main concern. My guess is the dilution is causing camphaser failure.

While the Amsoil 5W30 stayed in grade it did so barely. Thus I am looking to an HDEO MultiVehicle 5W30 in the future...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Navi

While the Amsoil 5W30 stayed in grade it did so barely. Thus I am looking to an HDEO MultiVehicle 5W30 in the future...

Sounds like a good strategy.. have you considered a HiMi pcmo??..There are some with 100c kv in the ~12cSt+ range and TBN's from 9+... and QS, M1, Havoline all have moly in the 200ppm range. And try and keep those miles down until you find an oil that can handle your fuel issue.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Spector
Kill the MOA, waste of money! Well, so is Amsoil at a 4,600 mile OCI.

I would be hard pressed to justify using the BG product again at least in this application. It just doesn't seem like it did much of anything but who knows for certain unless you were to tear down the engine and looked at wear scars, before and after use etc...but oh well, you win some you lose some.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Navi said:

I would say it stayed pretty well in grade. Starting viscosity @ 210 is 59.7 and you're at 58.1. Also 10.3 vs 9.67, doesn't seem too bad at all.

I think the main 'benefit' of the MOA is increased TBN - after 4600 miles, TBN is still at 7, usually it would have dropped a bit more than this...usually Amsoil drops to a TBN of 4 or 5 quickly, and then seems to stay there for a long time.

For an engine that is known to be hard on oil, that has had work done to it and has new parts breaking in, I'd say the oil combo did good.

I would just have run it longer.

Originally Posted by addyguy
I think the main 'benefit' of the MOA is increased TBN - after 4600 miles, TBN is still at 7, usually it would have dropped a bit more than this...usually Amsoil drops to a TBN of 4 or 5 quickly, and then seems to stay there for a long time.

Or the TBN could still be at 7 because the oil was only ran for 4600 miles. I wasn't aware BG MOA boosted TBN retention...

Originally Posted by madeej11
I would say it stayed pretty well in grade. Starting viscosity @ 210 is 59.7 and you're at 58.1. Also 10.3 vs 9.67, doesn't seem too bad at all.

The relevant test is the 100c kv and the range for a SAE30 is 9.3~12.5...so it's on the cusp.

I searched around the internet and found that BG MOA is an "add pack". Basically such things like Moly which oil makers put into oils is in BG MOA. I struggled to find a VOA for BG MOA. I would imagine add packs by the oil maker are more effective.

So basically BG MOA fortifies the oil with additional elements the oil maker usually puts in there. The next question is for what engines or applications should it be used...BG doesnt provide an example application list or guide.

So it does work but the better question is when to deploy the BG MOA like for trucks that tow a lot or something like that.

BG MOA

Numbers from a VOA I had done awhile ago (Feb 2010).

Code:

ALUMINUMstyle='mso-tab-count:1'> 2
CHROMIUMstyle='mso-tab-count:1'> 0
IRONstyle='mso-tab-count:2'> 5
COPPERstyle='mso-tab-count:2'> 0
LEADstyle='mso-tab-count:2'> 1
TIN 0
style='color:black'>MOLYBDENUM 120
NICKELstyle='mso-tab-count:2'> 0
MANGANESEstyle='mso-tab-count:1'> 0
SILVERstyle='mso-tab-count:2'> 0
TITANIUMstyle='mso-tab-count:1'> 0
POTASSIUMstyle='mso-tab-count:1'> 0
BORONstyle='mso-tab-count:2'> 9
SILICONstyle='mso-tab-count:2'> 8
SODIUMstyle='mso-tab-count:2'> 3
CALCIUMstyle='mso-tab-count:2'> 11390
MAGNESIUMstyle='mso-tab-count:1'> 50
PHOSPHORUSstyle='mso-tab-count:1'> 1323
ZINCstyle='mso-tab-count:2'> 1429
BARIUMstyle='mso-tab-count:2'> 0

style='color:black'>
cSt Viscosity @ 100°Cstyle='mso-tab-count:1'> 60.1
SUS Viscosity @ 210°Fstyle='mso-tab-count:1'> 10.25
Flashpoint in °Fstyle='mso-tab-count:1'> 340
Fuel %style='mso-tab-count:2'> -
Antifreeze %style='mso-tab-count:2'> -
Water %style='mso-tab-count:2'> 0
Insolubles %style='mso-tab-count:2'> 0.2
TBN 18.6
TAN
style='color:black'>ISO Code

Here are the results of 2 other labs results are side by side:

BG MOA

I recently got the VOA of BG MOA oil additive done by 2 different labs. Here is the data. Lab1 Lab2 Iron 3 4 Chromium < 1 0 Nickel < 1 0 Aluminium 3 1 Lead < 1 0 Copper < 1 0 Tin < 1 0 Silver < 1 0 Titanium < 1 0 Silicon 13 7 Boron 4 4 Sodium 88 33 Potassium 13 0 Molybdenum 165 124 Phosphorus 1945 1327 Zinc 1982 1448 Calcium > 9999 12180 Barium < 10 0 Magnesium 67 42 Antimony < 30 Vanadium < 1 TBN (D2896) 32.58 VI 89 Flash Point 345F VIS CS 40C 98.9 VIS CS 100C 10.7 SUS Viscosity @210F 62.5

Back