Rhino Ramps Collapsed

I'm probably gonna buy me a set of 16000's. Only $10 more.

They look pretty good this morning. I ran back on them and only a slight bulge on one.

My conclusion is as follows. My old set was much tougher and not as exacting in getting the wheels in the exact right spot. With my old set you could have 1/2 of the tire off the side and everything was fine.
I have thrown the old set away and I don't know what brand they were. I had them for 15-20 years.

With this new set, you have to be "spot on", right in the center, front to back and left to right.

I have an asphalt driveway and if I try to go super slow and sneak up on the ramps, they will often scoot forward. That is why I sorta have to umph up on 'em.

If I go slow and steady, I'll probably just squirt the ramps out in the grass after about 5 attempts to mount.

Still waiting for pics, and if they buckled they are ready for the trash can. Dont use again.

Originally Posted by Rand
Still waiting for pics, and if they buckled they are ready for the trash can....
Agreed. But they've (or it) now recovered ~90% of shape. hmmm.

Guess the Rhinos can't be too bad as the OP now going with the 16k Maxx Ramps instead. I've owned the latter for a while now, and they've functioned perfectly, ie., without issue. Will continue to use with confidence.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Wood just sounds terribly heavy and I ain't getting any younger.

Do they make a low profile ramp similar to the Rhino Ramps that is steel?

The weight of my wooden ramps is more than I'd like, but not too much to be prohibitive to moving them around or lifting up to store on the wall.

I weighed them once, and IIRC each side was about 25 lbs. Now that each side can be decoupled from itself, the weight of each piece is down to ~12-13 lbs (but double the pieces obviously).

The incarnation of wooden ramps i have would not be ideal for everybody, but they do the jobs i need them to do exceedingly well, so i won't be using anything else for the foreseeable future.

Originally Posted by Gebo
They look pretty good this morning. I ran back on them and only a slight bulge on one.

How many people and how many times has it been said to not use these ? It's like you're testing them and you're going to decide, "ehhh, I think they're okay after all".

Originally Posted by billt460
Looks like I'll be making my ramps out of 2" X 6" lumber. Lowe's here I come.

2" x 6" will work for many cars but doesn't leave a lot of room for side-to-side. I have a mini-height set made of 2" x 10" but I only use them to raise my G35 up enough to get my low-profile floor jack under the front end so I can then use jack-stands.

Remember, a 2" x 6" isn't 6" wide, it's only 5-1/2" wide. If your car's tires are 140 width, they'll be the same width. A 235 tire is 9-1/4" wide so even a 2" x 10" is barely wider.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

How many people and how many times has it been said to not use these ? It's like you're testing them and you're going to decide, "ehhh, I think they're okay after all".

If Gebo suddenly quits posting then we will know what happened.

This sounds like a fishing expedition.

I am testing them because they came back to shape. I've had the GX on them since this morning. They look fine.

I screwed up by driving on too far and then backing up too much. I wish I had a pic. If I feel froggy later today, I may go out and duplicate what I did last night and take a pic.

I'm just messing around trying to decide whether to buy the 16000 ones.

I've always stored my ramps outside. It sounds tacky but if you saw my driveway, brick wall and garage it would make more sense. They are hidden from public view. It would be difficult to store wooden ones in my garage.

Storing them outside exposed them to uv degradation. Wooden ones don't take anymore space. Mine hang flat on a wall.

Originally Posted by PimTac

This sounds like a fishing expedition.

Heaven won't be so bad. ...

Originally Posted by billt460
Looks like I'll be making my ramps out of 2" X 6" lumber. Lowe's here I come.

2" x 6" will work for many cars but doesn't leave a lot of room for side-to-side. I have a mini-height set made of 2" x 10" but I only use them to raise my G35 up enough to get my low-profile floor jack under the front end so I can then use jack-stands.

Remember, a 2" x 6" isn't 6" wide, it's only 5-1/2" wide. If your car's tires are 140 width, they'll be the same width. A 235 tire is 9-1/4" wide so even a 2" x 10" is barely wider.

Width of the tire is pretty irrelevant. If wide tires overhang a little on both sides of 2x6" ramps, not a problem. Using wider lumber would be too cumbersome. My five level 2x6" ramps made of pressure treated wood probably weigh 25-30 pounds each. Wouldn't want to handle any heavier ones.

Storing them outside exposed them to uv degradation. Wooden ones don't take anymore space. Mine hang flat on a wall.

Where the Ramps stand up, they never see direct sun.

If you saw my garage you would see there are no walls
shocked2.gif
available.

I was underneath My Escalade just the other day on a set. Nothing happened but I did wonder because the pavement was really hot.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
I pulled my GX470 up on the black Rhino Ramps to change the oil and squish. What in the world?

What are you guys doing to get your cars up to change the fluids and such?

Wooden ramps?

I wood use wood if I fir you

[Linked Image]

I was like what in the world ... then I realized ooooo... Easy to store them if the separate.. Clever.

2 X 12s work well for me too, although not a ramp configuration just blocks to put the wheels up on.

I originally used 2 heavy 6 X 6s 2 foot long bolted together with all thread. We had so many heavy timbers going into the dumpster on a jobsite that I got them free. And in good shape.

I made those when I was doing the oil pump in my Silverado. With so much going on underneath the front end and differential coming out I thought jack stands may take up extra needed room underneath. So I made a set for front and rear, the rear had a couple 4X4's across the top of each for wheel chocks. When I needed it higher I made another set to get it almost a foot off the ground while still being very stable.

After that project I started using them anytime I wanted the truck up but was keeping the wheels on. Even for an oil change it's quicker to jack it up and slide the blocks under the tires than it is to position jack stands.I use them front and rear which makes it easy to give the underside a good inspection when I service it.

When I started using the blocks for more things I decided the heavy hardwood 6X6 creations were just too heavy. I made replacements out of 4 layers of 2X12, 2 feet long for the front and 32" for the rear. Every layer heavily glued and screwed. The rears are longer to bolt 2 4X4s across the top as wheel chocks.

I painted the ends since the end grain transfers moisture faster than the rest of the wood. They are holding up well and are very stable.

Right!... friends don't let friends get under a car using deformed ramps!...‚

My Burb is high enough for me to get under without lifting it, but there are times when I've needed other vehicles up a bit. I built my own support blocks out of 2x4. Cut pieces 12" long, lay two in one direction and two across the first pair to create a 12" square. double nail or screw each intersection, then add another two pieces until you have the height of block you want.

You can then slip a 2x6x24 into the top "pocket" and drive your vehicle up onto the block. The notch between the top two pieces of 2x4 act as a tire cradle. With the vehicle up on the blocks you can then remove the 2x6 ramp for an unobstructed workspace. Stronger and more stable than any plastic ramp or jack stand.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
I found this pic showing squish, so it can happen.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

It's just the front stops that buckled. The part that actually holds up the tire has a honeycomb block under it.

My dad and I were working on a van that was up on steel ramps when I was a teenager. I remember the ramps collapsing. The rhino ramps are way more sturdy than most steel ramps.

Back