Paranormal and the rigors of good science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not discussing belief or lack thereof. It bothers me that blanket statements of supposed scientifically supported fact abound on these paranormal television shows. Has there actually ever been a controlled study concerning any of the "scientific" devices used on these shows?

They could do things by the book, avoiding sensationalism, and use only tested and verified equipment, but no network would waste the time and effort to film or buy a single episode of that.

Stanford Research Institute did scientific studdies with Statistical analysis...but not those ghost things.

Myself, since becoming a non self imposed hermit, I've bought a Ouija board and spirit box, but am summoning first the courage to use them.

Science nowadays deals only with the natural & doesn't have anything to say about the supernatural. They're using the wrong tool to perform the study.

Originally Posted by billt460
I've always wondered why they called the show, "Finding Bigfoot"..... When they never found him?

Because if they found him, they'd have to change the name of the show to "Found Bigfoot"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by billt460
I've always wondered why they called the show, "Finding Bigfoot"..... When they never found him?

I can only take those shows for a minute or two before I have to change the channel. It's just funny when they claim to talk to some bigfoot expert. What's their expertise? Same with those ancient astronaut experts. Technically we could all be as none have been found.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I'm not discussing belief or lack thereof. It bothers me that blanket statements of supposed scientifically supported fact abound on these paranormal television shows. Has there actually ever been a controlled study concerning any of the "scientific" devices used on these shows?

If the actual science and evidence was shown it would be beyond boring.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by sloinker

If the actual science and evidence was shown it would be beyond boring.

Well there wouldn't be a show because there's no actual science and no evidence.

You should read some of theories and research conducted into the various paranormal fields. Plus some ties into mental health. But since you made your comment it is further confirmation reasoning and understanding is not one of your interests.

Originally Posted by dave1251
You should read some of theories and research conducted into the various paranormal fields. Plus some ties into mental health. But since you made your comment it is further confirmation reasoning and understanding is not one of your interests.

My reasoning and logic is actually pretty sound and pretty strong. We haven't found bigfoot yet. There's lots of hoaxes out there though. What fields are involved in the paranormal fields? There's quantum field theory, magnetic fields, the Higgs field etc.

There are things we don't understand....a different dimension. always expect the non explainable.

Originally Posted by Schmoe
There are things we don't understand....a different dimension. always expect the non explainable.

Well string theory talks about different dimensions, 10, 11 or 26 depending on which variant you're talking about.

If you don't understand it, how do you know there are different dimensions? And maybe your lack of understanding makes you expect the non explainable?

It's fine to say you don't understand it. But then to draw conclusions based on that?

But you clearly don't get a lot of things...and are quite confidently commenting on and ridiculing them for quite a few years.

Originally Posted by Shannow
But you clearly don't get a lot of things...and are quite confidently commenting on and ridiculing them for quite a few years.

Yeah and it's strange that no one proves me wrong.

I've yet to see an article that says ghosts are real.

The basic problem is that the evidence is weak or non existent. It's fine to say that we don't know, but people come to conclusions based on assumptions which haven't be shown to be true.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Originally Posted by Shannow

Yeah and it's strange that no one proves me wrong.

I've yet to see an article that says ghosts are real.

The basic problem is that the evidence is weak or non existent. It's fine to say that we don't know, but people come to conclusions based on assumptions which haven't be shown to be true.

You have been proven wrong quite a bit. The issue you have you are unable to come to the conclusion you are wrong. Ignorance is supposed to be bliss. I hope you find this to be true.

Repeating the same mantra over and over until people shake their head and walk away isn't winning an argument, or convincing others that they are wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back