Dropped off the Accord at Maaco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by supton
TBH I'm intrigued. My wife loves green and I'm starting to toy with how I can get her a green car again. A cheapo paint job might work good enough. An Accord in green might be the ticket.

Take her Camry to Maaco and have it painted Honda green.
smile.gif

Although my dad had an '86 Riviera in a teal/emerald green that I liked a little better. Just a little deeper in color than the Op's car.

Last edited:
My wife's XB has a few dings and scratches and etching from bird plop.

When she gets the new car itch in a few years I might send it to maaco, if it buys me five more years of no car payments thats worth $1000.

Originally Posted by JustinH
My wife's XB has a few dings and scratches and etching from bird plop.

When she gets the new car itch in a few years I might send it to maaco, if it buys me five more years of no car payments thats worth $1000.

That's why I get some Ultima waterless wash concentrate for $21 or so from autogeek.net. Carry a bottle of wash solution in the trunk along with some plush MF towels. Take care of bird bombs, tree sap, bug splatter to the front end, etc. The 05 Matrix still looks good although being silver also helps. But it does sit outside all the time and is still shiny.

Nice looking car! I like that era of simpler styling.

I was following a 2000-ish Camry yesterday, driving my low-mileage 2010, and I had to admire both the simple styling and the excellent condition of the paint on the car, both better than my (not too bad) 2010. The owner obviously took pride in that vehicle! Maybe it was a repaint like yours.

Anyway, well done, good choices made.

Wow, I too am impressed at that work for less than $1000! Looks great, and I also like that color green metallic it was VERY popular in the mid 1990s!

About the A/C condenser...Frankly as long as the fins just broke off and it is NOT leaking I would just carefully remove the broken detached segment off if possible
Do NOT pull/ put pressure on the part of that line of fins that is STILL connected to the piping in the condensor. probably tin snips would work you want to take the pressure off the segment that is STILL connected to the piping.

Car does look good.

I had an old S10 about 8 years ago. I half way prepped it, and took it to MAACO for their $250 paint job (they were running a sale.) I thought the truck turned out great for the price. I kept it about 5 years, and it still looked fine when I got rid of it.

Had a car get totaled out many years ago, took the insurance money, bought the car back, bought new fenders and parts, bought a new compressor and spray gun, used some plastic sheeting to make a paint booth in my garage out of 2x4s and the sheeting, bought a respirator, and fixed the car and repainted it. I'd never done it before but watched some YouTube videos. Oddly, people commented on how smooth my paint looked on such an old car and asked where I got it painted and how much. I guess it must've been first time luck. I probably could've started a "no guarantees" cheap body shop for people with old cars LOL

Last edited:
See if you can carefully pull off that lower section of condenser fin. That section is not critical. If it won't pull off easily, just use snips or quality scissors and neatly cut it off.

Last edited:
My only car painting story. Got my 71 Celica all ready to paint (I was 20 or so) and Dad (rip) had a gun. Had gone to the auto paint store and they mixed me up a Fiat yellow IIRC. Started painting and it looked yellow-orange, like a school bus!!!!! [censored],maybe it will dry differently. No, it didn't. And Dads gun had a vent hole in the top and while painting the roof it splooged out, dripping on the (nice paint job so far) roof. This pic is not mine, but original 71, 72 era car. First car I ever had that didn't break. Drove it from TX to FL at 70-100 with the AC on. Got pulled over while racing a Nova on the Interstate (I was ahead a little). The cops told me to go on, they pulled the Nova over. I guess they thought the gun aim was off. Wahoo! Sorry, no pics of the paint job.

Toyota_Celica_02.jpg

Originally Posted by mclasser
The clearcoat has been failing for years but it had become a real eye sore lately. I got an estimate last year from a local Maaco for $1200. Went to another one 30 min away and for $900, they'll be doing the urethane pkg + additional sanding of the shot CC areas.

I dropped off the car this morning and am looking forward to the final product!

What was the original color? I can't believe the job they did for $900!

(BTW: I really like your color choice; in one of the photos, it looks metallic...correct or no?)

Looks nice. Clean and respectable. Great color !

Just had my 86 Olds Calais done with the mid grade package, some body work and old paint sealant upgrade. $1250 out the door.

The dead and dying repaint from One Day Paint 20 years ago and some body work and paint I had done made the thing look so scabby and trashy just having it back to a little bit shiny and even would have been enough.

Happy to report it looks lush, no orange peel, deep gloss and no over spray.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MarkM66
I half way prepped it, and took it to MAACO for their $250 paint job (they were running a sale.)

Oh man! I need a Maaco nearby to run that sale. My Mustang needs the hood and bumper cover resprayed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back