Rhino Ramps Collapsed

Years ago, like 10 years ago, I had a pair that was cracked terribly. I threw them in the trash and bought a new set. The new set has been solid. They were better designed.

"ramps just sliding forward if I go too slow so I sorta hit them with a little umph to get up"

The ramps slid. The base was pushed back toward the rear tires, and buckled under.

I never trusted plastic ramps..always used steel...I saw a steel ramp bend once...I had a friend make a set for me...all welded and rather long so I could get a low profile car up without damage to the bumper covers . they are kinda heavy , rather long but safety is number one in my book

Originally Posted by Reddy45
I found this pic showing squish, so it can happen.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Using them on that type of surface is asking for trouble!! OP thank God no one got hurt.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Originally Posted by Gebo
I pulled my GX470 up on the black Rhino Ramps to change the oil and squish. What in the world?

What are you guys doing to get your cars up to change the fluids and such?

Wooden ramps?

I wood use wood if I fir you

[Linked Image]

That is insane.

Originally Posted by billt460
Looks like I'll be making my ramps out of 2" X 6" lumber. Lowe's here I come.

I'm thinking 2x10 or even 2x12.

Wood just sounds terribly heavy and I ain't getting any younger.

Do they make a low profile ramp similar to the Rhino Ramps that is steel?

If the failed ramps are only 3 months old, they will send replacements free. Similar thing happened to me driving a 2005 Suburban onto the front ramps.

Originally Posted by Dave9
No problem with my pressed steel ramps, but they were bought back when they were made in USA, not Chinese tinfoil junk. I grabbed a pair of similarly beefy old ones from my neighbor when he moved and am painting them with Rustoleum. Now they look too pretty to USE.
happy2.gif

The funny thing is that if I need a vehicle lifted I'd just as soon grab a jack and jack stands, so I hardly ever use my first pair of ramps, but OCD made me want another pair because they don't make stuff like they used to, well that and they were given to me for free except for spending $10 on a can of paint for them, but I'll have half that paint left over for something else.

This^ is what I use also, I've had them probably 35 years. Bent one once by overloading it...just straightened it out and welded the strap back on and been fine ever since.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Years ago, like 10 years ago, I had a pair that was cracked terribly. I threw them in the trash and bought a new set. The new set has been solid. They were better designed.

Yep. Spend $40 so your wife doesn't have to buy a casket.

Wood is the way to go.

Don't use those ramps again. Once they have deformed like that then they are dangerous. Structural integrity has been compromised.

You have to put a 4x4 on ramps for an OC?

Since when?

Undertray removal?

You will have about 2 tonnes on those ramps after it's settled.

Originally Posted by Kestas
I use 2 x 12.

This is the best way to go. If you can get a hold of scrap wood then it's cheaper.

I have had an Expedition up on 4 Rhino ramps without issue. They come in various capacities. I have three pairs of 12000 GVW Rhino ramps. There is a 16000 lb GVW set available now. What capacity were the OP's ramps?

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
You have to put a 4x4 on ramps for an OC?

Since when?

Undertray removal?

You will have about 2 tonnes on those ramps after it's settled.

I use the ramps for all OC's. Just makes it easier for a big ol' boy to move around under there.
13.gif

Originally Posted by aba4430
I have had an Expedition up on 4 Rhino ramps without issue. They come in various capacities. I have three pairs of 12000 GVW Rhino ramps. There is a 16000 lb GVW set available now. What capacity were the OP's ramps?

Back