Is Shell/Pennzoil Platinum the only Natural Gas based oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Shell and Pennzoil Platinum the only manufacturer and oil brand using base oil made from natural gas or are their others?

Be aware, not every Shell helix ultra is made from gas (GTL) only ones that have sticker ""Pure plus technology".

For example my oil Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF (ACEA A5/B5, Ford 913D) is not pure plus (only have "Active cleansing technology" sticker) is ordinary HC oil. So look for sticker with piston with Pure plus on it!

That leads to the question, by volume how much of the oil is GTL. I think people make the assumption that it is 100% GTL, less add pack. But these big corporate oil companies are pretty crafty in their advertisements so I wouldn't be surprised by any proprortion.

Originally Posted by sloinker
That leads to the question, by volume how much of the oil is GTL. I think people make the assumption that it is 100% GTL, less add pack. But these big corporate oil companies are pretty crafty in their advertisements so I wouldn't be surprised by any proprortion.

Yes, and they change/tweak the formula from time to time making it difficult to keep track. Not all changes are for the better either.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Is Shell and Pennzoil Platinum the only manufacturer and oil brand using base oil made from natural gas or are their others?

some Mobil1 oils uses gtl.

Not as one of a kind as some think … other majors and smaller companies have patents and know the process … Shell had to commit big in the Persian Gulf region whereas XOM remains all LNG heading to Asia etc …

Here is a lesser known producer:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sasol

Pretty sure Imperial Oil has a natural gas to olefins unit in Sarnia, Ontario that produces the basestocks of what was the XD-3 motor oil line.

There are a number of different ways to convert natural gas to liquids.

Originally Posted by Bjornviken

I thought XOM abandoned GTL for now due to costs and uses a blend of crude derived Grp3 and 4??

I'm not aware of any company aside from Shell, making pcmo stock from NG... and there probably won't be so long as the price of crude is well below $100 (currently abt $55/brl)... Monetizing NG is very expensive.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I thought XOM abandoned GTL for now due to costs and uses a blend of crude derived Grp3 and 4??

I'm not aware of any company aside from Shell, making pcmo stock from NG... and there probably won't be so long as the price of crude is well below $100 (currently abt $55/brl)... Monetizing NG is very expensive.

Good point. Think exxonmobil is moving from gtl to group 2 in near future

https://www.hydrocarbonprocessing.c...p-ii-base-stocks-from-rotterdam-refinery

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Good point. Think exxonmobil is moving from gtl to group 2 in near future

https://www.hydrocarbonprocessing.c...p-ii-base-stocks-from-rotterdam-refinery

Possible. The refining process (hydroprocessing) by some companies like Chevron are producing grp2+ base oils with VI's, volatility numbers and purity approaching grp3.

Chevron's Grp2+

Originally Posted by anjan42
Maybe this one

NAPA PROFORMER 5W30 SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL is a superior quality synthetic motor oil specially formulated from 100% pure virgin base oil and high performance additives

https://www.napacanada.com/en/p/PFQPF5W30SY5L?searchCategory=700.7011&searchIndex=Prod

Possible but if I had to guess I'd say no. The product description says it's made from a "from 100% virgin base oil", so to me that reads like it's made/refined from crude??..dunno

If I recall correctly (read: don't quote me on this) only Sasol, Shell and Chevron have operations capable of producing a pcmo from F/T GTL tech. (Sasol licensed the tech to Chevron for use at it's joint operation in Nigeria)..but I think Chevron's Nigerian ops is only producing no sulfur diesel syn fuel right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back