Rhino Ramps Collapsed

What kind of driveway do you have? they are to be used only on flat concrete or asphalt.

I broke one with my 800lb tractor on gravel.... thought it would be ok for a 300lb load on the ramp.. was wrong.

Originally Posted by Gebo
What are you guys doing to get your cars up to change the fluids and such?

Wooden ramps?

Yep. These will hold a semi.

[Linked Image from fototime.com]

Depends on how old they are. The company that made Rhino ramps several years ago went into bankruptcy partly due to claims regarding product liability. The surviving company supposedly made improvements to the newer versions. And plastic does age out eventually.

Mine are about 5 years old. Now I know why my wife wants me to carry my cellphone when I'm using my Rhino ramps.

I've pondered pouring some sort of two-part urethane / structural foam into the cavities on the bottom of mine.

Last edited:
I made my own ramps from 2"x12" from the local lumberyard. Beveled the leading edges. Screwed them together and a perpendicular board at the end as a stop.

I think the total cost was $18.

I will never get under a car on rhino or steel pressed ramps. Never ever.

Sam

Last edited:
Yikes... maybe I need to make some wood ramps.

I had Rhino Ramps for a long time, but only used them for short intervals and always stored them indoors away from sunlight. What did them in was the rubber pad coming off the bottom of one...the wheel would just push the ramp.

I replaced them with the Harbor Freight plastic ones and they seem a little better than actual Rhino Ramps. They have more rubber grips on the bottom (but smaller) and more structure inside. I had my Explorer up on four of them with no bowing or anything else that made me uncomfortable.

I also own a set of Rhino Ramps
I use mine for my F250 4x4
Very heavy !!!!
Guess I'll be looking into another option

No problem with my pressed steel ramps, but they were bought back when they were made in USA, not Chinese tinfoil junk. I grabbed a pair of similarly beefy old ones from my neighbor when he moved and am painting them with Rustoleum. Now they look too pretty to USE.
happy2.gif

The funny thing is that if I need a vehicle lifted I'd just as soon grab a jack and jack stands, so I hardly ever use my first pair of ramps, but OCD made me want another pair because they don't make stuff like they used to, well that and they were given to me for free except for spending $10 on a can of paint for them, but I'll have half that paint left over for something else.

Last edited:
Since they both failed, it's almost certainly more of a usage problem (i.e. leaving a load on them for 6 days might be the reason).

You said they're returning to shape after you got the car off of them. You're not considering using them after this, are you ?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Since they both failed, it's almost certainly more of a usage problem (i.e. leaving a load on them for 6 days might be the reason).

You said they're returning to shape after you got the car off of them. You're not considering using them after this, are you ?

I'll know in the morning. It appears I just have to be very precise in getting my wheels in the exact spot. AND...not leave a car on them for 6 days in a row.

No... No ... No.. no....

Do not use them again... Period.

Wooden ramps or secure 6 by 6s salt treated wood or train track wood would be far, far, far safer.

All it takes is one time failure and you are gone for good.... And maybe I'm wrong .. but you have much more good to do in this world. A lot more in fact.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by paulri
Unless there was another vehicle in the trunk, I'd have a hard time believing that heaviness alone was the issue--the two types were rated for 12K and 16K pounds when I bought my pair of 16s.

16k too, I wanted wide after observing the muffler shop hoist.

Last edited:
It's not obvious from my pic, but the wooden ramps i made also come apart just behind where the tire rests when all the way up on them.

I have a sliding latch that i pull back to unlock and then i can decouple the lower 2/3 of wooden structure and pull it out of the way.

I actually added that feature after initial construction and a few uses when i found i needed to be able to position my jack along the frame rail below the door and could not since the tail end of the ramp was in the way.

Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid
That is why you have a jack stand as well

just as a back up

Like rappelling, you never have just one anchor point. ...

I would not get back under those ramps.

Last edited:
Back