Hyundai oil change. should i pay extra for syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
daughters 2019 tucson is coming up for an oil change. i noticed they offer a conventional and syn oil change for the vehicle. Syn is twice the price of conventional. $35 vs $70. Normally i would do it myself ,but i want to have the dealer do it for warranty records.

So seeing that its listed as ok , should i just go conventional?

Originally Posted by WhyMe
daughters 2019 tucson is coming up for an oil change. i noticed they offer a conventional and syn oil change for the vehicle. Syn is twice the price of conventional. $35 vs $70. Normally i would do it myself ,but i want to have the dealer do it for warranty records.

So seeing that its listed as ok , should i just go conventional?

Originally Posted by jbutch
How long of an OCI are you aiming?

5-6 k

So your doing the oil change at the dealer for warranty reasons, but then are not following the factory OCI (it is either 3,750 miles severe duty or 7,500 miles regular).
So which is it, are you worried about the warranty or not?
If you are in severe service, then change oil every 3,750 miles with conventional.
If you are in normal service, then change oil every 7,500 miles with conventional.

Both meet warranty requirements with conventional and will be covered if there is any oil related issue (highly unlikely). No need for synthetic if paying the dealer just because of warranty reasons.
Changing it early (at the 5,000 mile mark if on normal service), but again, using the argument of warranty concerns, not needed.

Or just do it yourself and document/save receipts for 1/4-1/2 the price. Warranty still in place.

synthetic even fake group III is surely better especially if you keep the vehicle a long time! that said stealer changers are NOT required for a warranty!! use their quality cheap OE filter + ANY spec oil + keep records + receipts. girlfriends 18 kia optima gets quaker state ultimate durability 10-30 in pa summer + their 5-30 in winter, they are spec approved oils in the owners manual!! throw away $$$$ at the stealers if you like!

You will be fine with conventional. Most of today's conventional oils are a synthetic blend. Our local Hyundai dealership uses a Quaker State blend as their conventional oil. Ask the service department what brand they use.

Originally Posted by MParr
You will be fine with conventional. Most of today's conventional oils are a synthetic blend. Our local Hyundai dealership uses a Quaker State blend as their conventional oil. Ask the service department what brand they use.

This 👆...and having the dealership perform it and provide the oil is a huge CYA. For a 5k'ish oci, I'd get the basic oil change and not lose any sleep over it.

Last edited:
Plus you never know if they charge you for synthetic and dump conventional oil in it to make even more money off you.

Had four Kia's and a Hyundai and all have done fine on 5k conventional, which is really syn blend. Put on about 22k a year with lots of long trips. Synthetic is close if you change your own but not worth the spread if you pay to get it done. I have a half dozen $10 conventional oil change coupons so it'll be VWB 5-30 til it hits six figures.

You'll be fine with Conventional oil in either, 2.0 or 2.4 naturally aspirated engine (1.6T is no longer available from MY 2018+), it meets specs. You don't need to change at either 3750 or 7500 miles either, like mentioned above. So long as you don't go past 7500, you're covered unless someone can prove severe service usage. Great vehicle, congrats and enjoy.

i know i can do it myself for less. i want to do it at the dealer so there is a record in case my daughter has issues in the future and i am not close by to assist. i have read, whether true or not, that Hyundai has a habit of denying oil related claims unless there are records , and i don't want her to have to go through the hassle if it can be avoided.

How long she is gonna keep it is up to her. either way oil needs to be changed. So it seems the consensus is that a 5k oil change interval with dealer oil is ok.

i know i can do it myself for less. i want to do it at the dealer so there is a record in case my daughter has issues in the future and i am not close by to assist. i have read, whether true or not, that Hyundai has a habit of denying oil related claims unless there are records , and i don't want her to have to go through the hassle if it can be avoided.

How long she is gonna keep it is up to her. either way oil needs to be changed. So it seems the consensus is that a 5k oil change interval with dealer oil is ok.

Completely understand your reasoning since different dealerships can vary where warranty is concerned. Keeping it simple is a great policy.

Also, many times I've supplied my own oil and the invoice states "customer supplied oil and filter". I now wonder if that can be a liability as well since a shady dealership can claim there's no proof spec'd oil was used. Extreme? Maybe but a real possibility.

Originally Posted by atikovi

More important, how long you plan on keeping the car?

There's a lot of cars with 150k+ miles on them that have been fed nothing more than bulk oil from a VIOC.

All things being equal, I'd say changing it regularly and using a quality filter per the OM, will have more of an impact than what oil type is used. He could easily hit 200k+ miles on that engine just changing out a syn blend every 5k miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by atikovi

More important, how long you plan on keeping the car?

There's a lot of cars with 150k+ miles on them that have been fed nothing more than bulk oil from a VIOC.

All things being equal, I'd say changing it regularly and using a quality filter per the OM, will have more of an impact than what oil type is used. He could easily hit 200k+ miles on that engine just changing out a syn blend every 5k miles.

100% this... and yes "even" GDi vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back