Recommend a 7 passenger w/10,000 tow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
At this point, I would pay a premium to NOT get a diesel.

Gas motors are quite capable -I don't know when I would decide to move in to a diesel. Probably after about a 9,000 pound trailer. Yea-I know what the specs are on some half-tons (Ford's max tow pkg) and those specs are a joke-at least for those of us who tow on a regular basis.

Yeah for some reason the new HD suburbans have a low tow rating in favor of high payload. You have to get an older used model, like 2012-2013, and that one has a high tow rating. The HD Suburbans aren't even sold to regular people on regular lots anyway. I believe they are targeted to government and armored car upfitters.

Originally Posted by dareo
Yeah for some reason the new HD suburbans have a low tow rating in favor of high payload. You have to get an older used model, like 2012-2013, and that one has a high tow rating. The HD Suburbans aren't even sold to regular people on regular lots anyway. I believe they are targeted to government and armored car upfitters.

GM probably keeps the tow rating low to avoid liability with end users who max out the payload with equipment and/or armor.

The real answer would be a 3 row F450 dually 6 door. Some companies stretch trucks to 6 doors and sell them for a ton. This is America why can't we have a 6 door 6 wheeled diesel truck that weighs 10,000 lbs empty costs well into the 6 figure range?

Originally Posted by Iowegian
Look at a Nissan 3500 NV passenger van.
8,700 lb towing
2,500 lb payload.

More luxury, and way better seating arrangement.

Lots of them here in Utah for the large families. Get's the job done....not a great looking vehicle tho.

Originally Posted by CKN
Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
At this point, I would pay a premium to NOT get a diesel.

Gas motors are quite capable -I don't know when I would decide to move in to a diesel. Probably after about a 9,000 pound trailer. Yea-I know what the specs are on some half-tons (Ford's max tow pkg) and those specs are a joke-at least for those of us who tow on a regular basis.

Diesel power has jumped the shark. I would move in to a diesel...when what I am towing requires a semi tractor, and not before.

If we are talking full size HD vans not for short trip city work the diesel is always worth it. Giant van is the worst aerodynamics of anything and they all guzzle fuel. Sure a 6.0 6 speed GM gas will get the job done towing at high RPMs and high loads, but a duramax van will hardly even stress at all. In fact they derate the power in the vans so they can last even longer than the duramax pickup. Ive had a ford gas and a currently have a ford 7.3 full size van for business use and the diesel gets far better highway.

If we are talking full size HD vans not for short trip city work the diesel is always worth it. Giant van is the worst aerodynamics of anything and they all guzzle fuel. Sure a 6.0 6 speed GM gas will get the job done towing at high RPMs and high loads, but a duramax van will hardly even stress at all. In fact they derate the power in the vans so they can last even longer than the duramax pickup. Ive had a ford gas and a currently have a ford 7.3 full size van for business use and the diesel gets far better highway.

The only drawback I see is if the majority of trips are short. Diesels tend not to be the most reliable drive trains if short trips are the primary mode of travel.

After 2007, the diesel isn't worth it. Period, end of discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back