Would you change oil before a LONG trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 Forester, non-turbo, ~38K on the odometer. Current fill is PP 5w-30 with close to 5K miles. My scheduled oil change is mid-Oct, but before that, we will be making 2500 miles trip over a week. Would you recommend to change the oil before the trip? Next fill is going to be Miles Lubricants Syn 0w-20.
Thanks in advance.

If your trip is mainly highway miles without towing I wouldn't change it. Using my F150 as an example. I had 6k on the odometer and drove about 1600 miles from NY to SC. My OLM started at 13% and remained at 13% when I returned home.

My Subaru is different than yours and maybe your driving conditions differ as well. Nothing wrong with a 5k OCI but maybe do an UOA and see if you can extend a bit. I'm doing 10k in my 3.6 and it works for my driving conditions.

No.

But I don't remember the warranty requirements for Subaru. But you are probably out of warranty (unless extended)?

If no warranty issues then by all means keep the oil in and change it when you get back.

I would only change it if there's a chance going 7500 would void the warranty. If no negative affects to the warranty, I would run it as is. I would also have a few extra quarts on hand since those FB25s like to consume oil now and then.

I do change it . It do make me feel better having fresh oil , Incase I need go 4000 miles trips instead of 2500 miles trip as plan . But whenever I stop for gas . While the car fill up , do a quick pop the hood and check the oil level .

That oil holds up well as proved by UOA. I'd drive with confidence. I use M1 EP 5W-30 and take them all out to 12K.

I don't think it is necessary, but if it were me I would change it.

Depending on how the 5k miles were. If short trips or city driving I would. Now if mostly highway then check oil on fill up since you will be pushing 8k.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
No. 7500 miles on that oil, with highway use doesn't concern me.

+1. Just make sure it's at the full mark before you leave for your trip.

Last edited:
Thank you, folks. Almost 60-40 split in no vs yes. I will see how many miles we will put next month. Will check 1st Oct and then decide.

5K on this oil are about 75-80% highway miles. The trip is about half highway and half country roads (speed < 40mph). No towing. I topped up ~8oz of oil earlier this month.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back