AISIN T-IV ATF Input wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used Mobil 3309 or Toyota T-IV in our Volvo V70s for years. Cooler line exchange every 30,000 and a drain and fill at 15,000. Excellent shifting. Why use a different fluid when the OE spec works so well?

Originally Posted by Sayjac
….. their ATF-0T4 (T-IV) he said they have 3 different ATF fluids for Toyota Transmissions and they all are sourced from the OEM suppliers for Toyota although he wouldn't give me the names of the sources since its all Hush hush about divulging that info, so I mentioned would Mobil be a source because I know the OEM T-IV or JWS 3309 is a Mobil product but he wouldn't come clean on it.
Not sure why the "hush hush", sounds silly to me. So in essence the Aisin tech dude said (or implied) they are using the XOM manufactured/blended Toyota T-IV ATF and putting it in their own bottle? That's the way it appears to read here imo. The Toyota T-IV ATF product is clearly in an XOM bottle. I suppose if you trust his information, want to stick with T-IV and can obtain the Aisin ATF bottle for significantly less than Toyota T-IV, seems a logical choice.

Fwiw, I'd add the Aisin ATF (Honda) DW1 bottle makes the same "OEM Engineered Formula" claim, and Amazon bullet points, "Genuine OEM automatic transmission fluid". VOA's posted here have proven the bullet point to be a false claim.

the hush hush is that Toyota nor Aftermarket suppliers never give out the names of their suppliers so its all a guessing game on who manufactors the OEM fluid nor do we really have any idea what source or formula the aftermarket equivilents are, its a pretty good guess based on the bottle type and the fact that JWS 3309 is manufactured by MOBIL there is also a thread floating around here at BITOG that has the MOBIL company heading with the Toyota T-IV formulary on it. Now as far as aftermarket sourcing their stuff from MOBIL being exactly the same as JWS 3309 (T-IV) is the reason for my thread having spoken to a Rep from AISIN its is but he didn't come right out and directly say because he told me they are not suppose to divulge that info or else Toyota will have problems with them because people not buying their fluid or maybe copyright violations. I agree 100% with what u say I don't know if I truly trust what the Rep told me with out more validations im trying to get here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Sam_Julier
I've used Mobil 3309 or Toyota T-IV in our Volvo V70s for years. Cooler line exchange every 30,000 and a drain and fill at 15,000. Excellent shifting. Why use a different fluid when the OE spec works so well?
im trying to figure out if the AISIN T-IV is the same exact thing as the OEM Toyota T-IV fluid not a cloned copy of what AISIN thinks is in the T-IV formula, from what ive gotten by talking with a AISIN Tech guy at their US aftermarket office in California is they source the same formula from the same supplier to Toyota im assuming that to be MOBIL but I couldn't get that specific info, only that AISIN sources their ATF fluids from 3 of the suppliers to Toyota corp., im trying to get any input from others on what they think or know about using AISIN type ATFs in their transmissions and performance of them.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by jrvn
im looking into substitutes for my Toyota Tacoma truck with a T-IV required ATF, my biggest issue would be to introduce a ATF that wouldn't be compatable with the OEM T-IV and start issues,

What do you want the substitutes to do that the Toyota fluid doesn't?
cause my transmission from having slippage,bad shifting etc. because the formula isn't exactly what the OEM spec requires

Originally Posted by Trav
That depends on the unit, some are more fussy than others.
yes!

Not to belabor the point, but without VOA comparisons of Toyota T-IV, Mobil 3309 and the Aisin product not sure how else there would be an authoritative confirmation. If I was 'purely speculating', Id say a greater chance the Mobil product is OEM T-IV than the Aisin product. Again, without VOAs that would be speculation. All that said, not saying the Mobil 3309 or the Aisin product perfectly fine to use.

In the case Honda DW1, Aisin for DW1 and Idemitsu for DW1, multiple VOAs are available.

And while I may not be able to absolutely confirm Toyota T-IV is an XOM product, using the bottle as clue, 'I' feel fairly confident it is.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Toyota T-IV is about $6.50/quart at my local Toyota dealer. I'm absolutely certain that it's compatible, and meets specifications. I've used the Genuine Toyota fluid in multiple Aisin transmissions, including the Volvos in my signature, and it works great.

Why not buy it there?

this what i'll probably end up doing and I have been using the OEM Toyota T-IV for 2 pans drains since ive gotten this truck but the price in my area went from $6 to $10.50 from the closest dealers I used to buy it from, and to buy it online and add shiiping and tax is maybe more, I would be a nice thing tho if there were a definitive answer to using a aftermarket fluid that's either the exact formula from the exact supplier at less cost than OEM stealership stuff that price seems to increase every time I need some. Rockauto sells the AISIN T-IV for less than $5 per quart. the other aftermarket multi vehicle types like Maxlife or Castrol equivilents I don't feel comfortable using ive heard/read some trans performance issues using those in AISIN auto transmissions.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Not to belabor the point, but without VOA comparisons of Toyota T-IV, Mobil 3309 and the Aisin product not sure how else there would be an authoritative confirmation. If I was 'purely speculating', Id say a greater chance the Mobil product is OEM T-IV than the Aisin product. Again, without VOAs that would be speculation. All that said, not saying the Mobil 3309 or the Aisin product perfectly fine to use.

In the case Honda DW1, Aisin for DW1 and Idemitsu for DW1, multiple VOAs are available.

And while I may not be able to absolutely confirm Toyota T-IV is an XOM product, using the bottle as clue, 'I' feel fairly confident it is.
agree 100% only comparison ive found online T-IV Compaison AISIN,JWS 3309

Last edited:
Mobil 3309 ATF. The spec for T-IV is 3309. I purchase Mobil 3309 by the case on internet. I have used it since first ATF change fifteen years ago. No problems. If you look at Toyota T-IV ATF container you will see 3309 mentioned. Any ATF with 3309 spec will work in your AT. Regards.

I'm not sure I still follow the 3 supplier issue. If Aisin contracts out to 3 blenders that exact spec that goes to Toyota, it really shouldn't matter (doesn't Supertech do this with Amalie, Warren etc?).

I went through a similar rabbit hole with BMW/Mini ATF6 spec and found the following chart from Aisin. To me, I trust the transmission manufacturer more so that the car manufacturer bc they actually built it, not requested a spec sheet.

https://www.be.aisin-europe.com/files/1915/1738/1940/PDS_Aisin_ATF6_Low.pdf

Originally Posted by NYSteve
I'm not sure I still follow the 3 supplier issue. If Aisin contracts out to 3 blenders that exact spec that goes to Toyota, it really shouldn't matter (doesn't Supertech do this with Amalie, Warren etc?).

I went through a similar rabbit hole with BMW/Mini ATF6 spec and found the following chart from Aisin. To me, I trust the transmission manufacturer more so that the car manufacturer bc they actually built it, not requested a spec sheet.

I add there is nothing nothing magical it's a transmission. It has a viscosity, coefficient, torque, and stability requirements. I don't know how this topic has turned into mythological theology.

its funny again this AISIN ATF6 seems to be a multi vehicle fluid it specs TOYOTA JWS 3309 and WS plus numerous other applications. im assuming the tech from AISIN I talked with meant there are 3 different manufactorers that each make a version of ATF to their specs, like MOBIL makes JWS 3309 and another maker makes the WS world standard. youll never get a straight answer from AISIN nor TOYOTA Corp. on who makes what

Originally Posted by dave1251

I add there is nothing nothing magical it's a transmission. It has a viscosity, coefficient, torque, and stability requirements. I don't know how this topic has turned into mythological theology.

READ THIS

I wish ya'll had as good of a Lexus Dealer near you as I do. Although they are 1 1/2 hour drive one way.

[Linked Image]

The only way you will know with 100% certainty you are getting Toyota T-IV is buy it from a dealer.
Same process when buying oil and air filters. There may be many other brands that will work just
as good or even better. IDK.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Gebo
I wish ya'll had as good of a Lexus Dealer near you as I do. Although they are 1 1/2 hour drive one way.

(Picture deleted)

The only way you will know with 100% certainty you are getting Toyota T-IV is buy it from a dealer.
Same process when buying oil and air filters. There may be many other brands that will work just
as good. IDK.

I had to delete the pic. I'll get another one shortly

true, only other validation on using an aftermarket ATF is reviews from people who've used it in their cars, ive read thru numerous threads on Toyota truck sites about this. like most online reviews some people rave about using MAXLIFE or CASTROL and there are others saying their transmissions are slipping and the shifting has degraded using those types in their Toyotas with a WS or T-IV required. I checked a few LEXUS dealers the best deal with them is a 6 quart case about $30 plus tax.

Last edited:

READ THIS

I don't believe salesmen this another fluff piece from a shady tree mechanic. Your rudimentary understanding of transmission fluid is from YouTube. There are encyclopedias of information available and you chose to utilize YouTube.

READ THIS

Not a fan of Pat Goss but the Toyota vid is interesting.

I have a Lexus GX470 with the 4.7 V8 and 5 speed auto that I've run Amsoil Fuel Efficient ATF for 35k miles with no issue. Before that I have a Volvo 4 speed that I ran Redline D4 and Supertech Dex6 with the issues.

The Lexus had its first ATF flush at 75k miles and the Volvo around 115k miles both no issues.

I'm not putting down using only Toyota or Aisin fluid as you can see what I use. I have a Mini that has $45/quart sealer fluid. Will be using Aisin or Redline D4.

I think you are trying to find fluid that is cheaper that dealer, guaranteed to work, and is the exact spec but you can only pick two of those and that's why you keep coming back to Toyota fluid instead of Aisin.

At the end of the day you need to pick what will make you sleep at night and if you can live the consequences on you decision. If I mess up my atf flush or pick the wrong fluid I'm ok with paying for a new trans.

Are you if you go with Aisin over Toyota or vice versa or pick max life?

READ THIS

I have a Lexus GX470 with the 4.7 V8 and 5 speed auto that I've run Amsoil Fuel Efficient ATF for 35k miles with no issue. Before that I have a Volvo 4 speed that I ran Redline D4 and Supertech Dex6 with the issues.

The Lexus had its first ATF flush at 75k miles and the Volvo around 115k miles both no issues.

seems like a full flush works better than a pan drain and fill using an aftermarket ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back