Oil filter recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
65 GTO, driven less than 2k miles per year. Running 10w30 VR1, 505 CID, aluminum heads, hydraulic roller, 10:1 street engine. Cost and OCI are not concerns, just want a quality filter. I was running the K&N HP-2006 but saw some comments suggesting K&N quality has declined. Today I picked up a Wix 51522. If there is something better than the Wix filter for my application I don't know it.

Thoughts?

I would add that the car does see some very cold starts and high oil pressure at those times, over 80 PSI. My shop is cold but I will drive the car sometimes on a cold day if there is no snow or ice.

Bypass pressure is 60 PSI on the pump and it bypasses at 60 PSI when hot, but can get pretty high on initial cold startup.

Last edited:
XG3675 or the 1522/51522 is what I would run, in that order. Good on paper, cheap, available, with a good record of failure.

I don't think you can go wrong with that Wix you are using.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Dyusik
XG3675 or the 1522/51522 is what I would run, in that order. Good on paper, cheap, available, with a good record of failure.

Thank you. Does your recommendation change if I beat on the car regularly? You know, first and second gear up to 6k RPMs or so at full throttle. Only when the car is fully warm, of course.

I guess I have this vague idea that maybe a filter that is really, really, really good at removing small particles might also show a slower response on the oil pressure gauge?

A racing filter. Fram HP series would be good if they make the thread size. Then a Frantz to keep the oil the cleanest and absorb water, if there is a way to mount the bracket to existing bolts so as not to drill anything.

Looks like there is probably a Fram HP that would work, thanks for the tip.

Has K&N quality really declined?

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
I don't think you can go wrong with that Wix you are using.
thumbsup2.gif

+1 The Wix is a great filter.

Yeah I have no reason NOT to use the Wix, just thought I would ask.

I guess that a "normal" high quality oil filter like a Wix makes sense in an average street/strip hot rod that doesn't go above 6k RPM. Maybe you need something fancier for a true race car, I dunno. I floor it in first, grab second, and I'm out of it before I even shift into third most of the time. Gives me a giggle and then I just go back to cruising.

I would use the Wix with no hesitation for the conditions you describe. A Fram Ultra would also be a great filter, but probably overkill, especially if you are changing oil annually.

Wix is on, replacing the K&N. For my application the nut on the end of the K&N is pretty helpful, might go back to K&N next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back