Emirates A380 dropped during maintenance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I find amazing is that this big, flea ridden dog was produced in the first place? I know it came out way heavier than was first planned. Did that kill it off with added fuel consumption? It would seem that the marketability of this thing wasn't researched very well out of the starting gate.

Limited routes that could be profitable. The need that it had to be all but full, or lose their shirts flying it. Few airports that could handle it. Ungodly purchase prices and maintenance costs. All add up to what it came to be..... A financial disaster that airlines seem to be unloading faster than a day trader dumping a penny stock.

The first planes off the line were heavier as I recall.

It was a strategy move by Airbus. They focused on the hub strategy while Boeing went long and thin with their Dreamliner. The Dreamliner opened up more routes that previously required a hub. As an example, Phoenix to Tokyo. A person flying that route before May have had to fly to LAX and then on to Tokyo.

Emirates went all in on the 380. They built a massive airport in Dubai to accomplish the strategy.

Long and thin won out. Customers prefer a nonstop flight these days versus stopping over and transfer.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Plus those other planes can go to other destinations without restrictions. That is one problem with the A380. Only a certain number of airports can handle the whale.

Interestingly enough, ANA picked up a couple, probably at a good contract price. They are using them for their Honolulu flights from Tokyo exclusively.

That's weird - ANA seems like a mostly-Boeing fleet. Do they have the butts between Tokyo-HNL to fill those seats though?

A while ago, it was an AF or BA A380 that was flying info SFO but the plane either had a medical or mechanical issue on board. The plane had to fly into OAK which was odd since the two airports are basically across San Francisco Bay. How did they manage to get onto the plane, I dunno. OAK does mostly 737/A320 traffic. But it's also the main airport FedEx and UPS uses from the Bay Area.

From what I've read the initial numbers for the ANA 380 flights are very good. These are high density passenger config as well. The Japan-Hawaii routes have always been popular. Many Japan domestic routes use wide bodies.

It is interesting as you say though since ANA is mostly a Boeing fleet. They are really big on the Dreamliner. I've ridden on that many times over the Pacific.

The A380's I have been in had the same business class seats as the other planes those airlines operated - so no big deal for me.

Perhaps ANA (who was also a ground level supporter of the B787) is actually using the plane as intended. It's one airline in particular who thought they were smarter than the rest - and assumed I wanted to go out of my way to connect in a country I'd rather not be in even for 3 hours in their fancy lounge.

Really, who without outside money would buy over 100 of these beasts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back