Is VW507 okay for flat tappets in EA 827?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will VW 507 result in worse, comparable, or improved wear characteristics compared to VW 502 in an older VW engine with flat tappets? My concern is mostly regarding the cam lobes and tappets.

Look at the zinc/phos limits for both specs - if one is significantly lower than the other it will allow wear to occur more quickly than with the higher z&p.
Continue to use 502 if possible, or A3/B4 or A40 where 502 is not available.

This is the old 1.6 family and uses bucket under lobe not flat tappets that are commonly associated with high lobe contact pressures like those found on push rod engines and OHC engines that use a offset slipper to reduce lobe diameter operate multiple valves from a single lobe.
This engine uses full size lobes (1.1) in direct contact over the valve spring and has very low contact pressures on the cam lobes, wear on this type is not common unless the cam is defective (not hardened properly).

I read many times on here about flat tappets on engines with lower spring pressure not needing higher levels of zddp, this is incorrect, the rocker arm multiplies the force of the spring on the cam lobes, on OHC engines that use slippers to operate multiple valves from a single cam the stress on the lobe is dramatically increased and the use of a higher level of zddp may be beneficial.
You can run the 507 in your engine without concern of addition wear.

I'm glad I asked. I thought bucket lifters were considered a type of flat tappets. Obviously, VW's have had hydraulic lifter for over 40 years. Olas brings up zinc and phosphorus. 507 is low-SAPS as fas I know. Is that a concern or not with bucket lifters/non-roller cams?

Based on Travs post your cam won't suffer unless it wasn't properly hardened during manufacture. If that is the case no oil will save it.
Use your favourite brand that meets the specs in the owners manual.

Trav you typed 'bucket under lobe' but the pedant in me wants to say it was bucket under shim under lobe (pre 86 hydraulic switchover, of course..)

Originally Posted by Trav
I read many times on here about flat tappets on engines with lower spring pressure not needing higher levels of zddp, this is incorrect,

I have to ask, what is the least amount of zinc and phosphorus you would recommend running in a stock flat tappet engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back