How to uninstall program that won't let me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I got my new computer a month ago I needed Office for school stuff. I did not want to pay for a new Office license so in my "if it ain't broke don't fix it" attitude I whipped out my trusty Office 2003 disc and key and got it put on.

Well now I need newer Office because of school (curse you .docx!!) and my computer will not let me uninstall office 2003 because something with the uninstaller program on the install disc is corrupted.

Is there some other way I could uninstall it so I'm not cluttering my PC with multiple editions of Office?

Last edited:
I'll try Revo Uninstaller because I have already tried the repair/change options on the install disc.

I wonder if installing newer Office will just overwrite the old program anyways... either way I'd feel better uninstalling the old one and doing a "clean" installation.

It's been my experience that MS Office programs do not simply overwrite older versions, and that this can cause some complications, so i agree unless you have a specific need for both, uninstalling one or the other is best.

Originally Posted by cwilliamsws6
I'll try Revo Uninstaller because I have already tried the repair/change options on the install disc.

I wonder if installing newer Office will just overwrite the old program anyways... either way I'd feel better uninstalling the old one and doing a "clean" installation.

Maybe you can yet keep your 2003 version. Anybody remember the downloadable Microsoft software you run and makes the old MS Office recognize and edit docx (and xlsx too IIRC) files? I ran it successfully but that was ages ago.

Last edited:
Once you get Office out with either Revo or the tool, try downloading Libre Office, it can read and create documents in .doc and .docx, Excel files, and it's free. It is a very good office suite which may work for you.

Revo works well, Iobit Free Uninstaller is also great and is free, run it in admin and use the "Powerful Uninstall" tool to remove the program and all residual files.

https://www.iobit.com/en/advanceduninstaller.php

WPS is what I use for documents and spread sheets, it is absolutely the best substitute for MS Office. It is 100% compatible with Word and Excel docs and is also free. I tried Libre but found it too complicated. WPS is a great freeware tool.

https://www.wps.com/office-free

Can't help with the uninstall...but instead of paying more to MS for their uodated office, check out Apache Open Office. It is free and likely has the functionality you need. I have been using it now for over a decade.

you can use a third party tool (free like CCleaner, etc) to remove OFC2003. you can also look into the free online
version of Office. which can be better since it uses OneDrive and you get access everywhere.

cwilliamsws6 - Are you at a college or university? Check to see if you have access to a free version of Microsoft Office? This is the 4th college/university I've worked at and I've had access to a full free version of Microsoft Office....for work and personal use.

I use ashampoo uninstaller then run win optimizer from the same company and all is gone that you want gone. I do a lot of writing and use poser and Photoshop in my books.

Originally Posted by dtownfb
cwilliamsws6 - Are you at a college or university? Check to see if you have access to a free version of Microsoft Office? This is the 4th college/university I've worked at and I've had access to a full free version of Microsoft Office....for work and personal use.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back