Best Chassis Grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am wondering what is the best chassis is to keep my ball joints, tie rods, universal/axle joints etc going? I don't mind having a second gun for trailer axles etc but my main usage is steering components and universal joints in my driveshaft of my 2002 chevy 2500hd. I recently rebuilt the front end and greased it with what ever was in the gun at the shop (Schaeffers 229 I believe) and am about to grease it again but ran out in my personal gun.

Im going to go with Mystik High Temp #2- its GC-LB and has excellent washout resistance. Widely available.

if it was shaeffers 229 "ultra red" you need to make sure whatever you use is compatible with that.

Originally Posted by Rand
if it was shaeffers 229 "ultra red" you need to make sure whatever you use is compatible with that.

Correct, I know for certain it was Schaeffers and I believe it was 229. How do I determine what is compatible? The ball joints/tie-rods etc all have Moog's "gusher" bearing technology.

I've thought about going to Amsoil's chassis #2 (LINK)or their multi purpose grease #2 (LINK)

I believe balls joints and such benefit from a moly grease where anything like wheel bearings or universal joints can get damaged by high moly grease. Anything with a sliding surface use moly grease and any rolling surface use moly free grease.

I just use Lithium Soap chassis grease such as Valvoline and don't worry about having the best molly or any other marketing language. The Amsoil grease was not all that great when compared to any other premium grease available (beware of compatibility issues).. I have a tube of Mystic JT6 for my ball joints and its some thick stuff, it will replace the Amsoil (purple) Truck grease I was using.

I prefer something with a little moly in it for ball joints and tie rods.

If looking for a 1 size fits all then Valvolines Synthic grease meetsing wheel bearing specs and also has just a little moly in it as well.

But I run moly grease in my gun and high temp bearing grease in my bearing packer.

I guess my question more so is will I have a problem running a grease containing moly in my u-joints with a "one size fits all" grease?

Originally Posted by Bdsankey
I guess my question more so is will I have a problem running a grease containing moly in my u-joints with a "one size fits all" grease?

If its a low moly grease, like the Valvoline, it will be fine. I am not a fan of the high moly greases in bearings though.

Thats why the valvoline full syn grease is a good all round grease.
https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/grease-gear-oil/full-synthetic-grease

Ford recommends a moly grease in wheel bearings.

I suggest checking the Schaeffer website and reading. They have great PDS sheets.

229 contains what they describe as synthesized moly. It is also an aluminum complex.

It also has this in bold in the PDS if you planned on bearing application
"Due to its superior cohesive and adhesive properties Ultra Red Supreme is
not recommended for use in passenger car automotive wheel bearing or in
electric motor bearing applications"

The best grease is the one you use every 2 months. Which is what 90% of vehicle owners don't do. The last time I took my truck to the dealer for service the service writer told me my truck did not have grease fittings. I had been greasing them for the last 4 years. I was on vacation and did not have my grease gun.

When in Canada:

1B6020A0-482B-49FB-B3A6-70F3E1424CDA.jpeg

94BA63F8-A093-4D4E-A513-0E0DC0DE294F.jpeg

Originally Posted by OILJUNKIE
The best grease is the one you use every 2 months. Which is what 90% of vehicle owners don't do. The last time I took my truck to the dealer for service the service writer told me my truck did not have grease fittings. I had been greasing them for the last 4 years. I was on vacation and did not have my grease gun.

I completely agree. I grew up working in my father's auto garage and have seen the horror/lack of care given at dealerships/quick lubes. I am very OCD about maintenance. I used to change my synthetic motor oil in my diesel every 5k miles simply because I've done it for the past two decades until I decided to try extending intervals. Currently I am at ~9k on my oil fill with the next sample point at 15k and all looks well but that is another story.

If 229 #2 won't give me issues I will just stick with that. I know it states not recommended for wheel bearings but how closely do universal joints with needle bearings mimic the greasing requirements of a roller ball wheel bearing? I currently only have 1 grease gun but if I am going to do more damage then I will pick up a second and fill with an appropriate grease.

I recently did a complete rebuild on the front end of my 2003 Ford Focus and installed parts with grease fittings (as opposed to the non-greasable factory parts). I see the recommendations of every 2 months or every 2,500 miles on this thread, which is what I will adapt moving forward.

My question is how many "squirts" of grease is ideal for each fitting type? Or are there other factors that dictate how much grease is needed?

Any information that can help to best maintain the new front end and suspension parts would definitely be appreciated.

If 229 #2 won't give me issues I will just stick with that. I know it states not recommended for wheel bearings but how closely do universal joints with needle bearings mimic the greasing requirements of a roller ball wheel bearing? I currently only have 1 grease gun but if I am going to do more damage then I will pick up a second and fill with an appropriate grease.

In a wheel bearing application a very tacky grease can curl around the spindle between the bearings rather than staying in the bearings as intended. If you are just using the 229 for general chassis lubrication, it should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back