Torn Motorcraft date codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a stash of Motorcraft filters does anyone know the most recent date codes of torn filters that they have found? My filters all have a manufacturing date of mid 2018. Has anyone seen a torn FL910s?

I have cut open a good many of the 910S that I use on my Toyota pickup, and all of them have looked top notch.

Originally Posted by Corollaman
I've got a stash of Motorcraft filters does anyone know the most recent date codes of torn filters that they have found? My filters all have a manufacturing date of mid 2018. Has anyone seen a torn FL910s?

I have used the 910S for many years with no issues at all.

Trolling.gif

You realize any brand and model of filter can have a defective one slip through and end up on someone's car. Inspecting it (cutting it apart) after it's been on a car for thousands of miles accomplishes what ? You find a defect then, so what do you do ? Worry ? Tear the engine apart to look for damage ? Do nothing and hope for the best. You don't know if a defect was in there from day one, if it occurred (3) days prior to removing it, if it caused harm or was absolutely harmless.

I don't know any date range, however in my observation of anecdotes posted the 820S seems to be the primary tear offender. The 910S and 500S posted seem to be ok. Not saying that like other OFs there couldn't be an occasional outlier in those two, but overall good.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
I don't know any date range, however in my observation of anecdotes posted the 820S seems to be the primary tear offender. The 910S and 500S posted seem to be ok. Not saying that like other OFs there couldn't be an occasional outlier in those two, but overall good.

I use the FL910s on a fusion, but the FL820s on a 1997 Mustang. Most of the pictures I've seen here have me a little concerned in regards to the fl820s.

The FL910 (and FL500) have not been a problem filter from postings. As said, the 820s has been the biggest failure, but there have been other filters made by Pennzoil (I had a PZ-37 tear) that have had issues.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
You realize any brand and model of filter can have a defective one slip through and end up on someone's car. Inspecting it (cutting it apart) after it's been on a car for thousands of miles accomplishes what ? You find a defect then, so what do you do ? Worry ? Tear the engine apart to look for damage ? Do nothing and hope for the best. You don't know if a defect was in there from day one, if it occurred (3) days prior to removing it, if it caused harm or was absolutely harmless.

Cutting it apart lets me know if the filter worked correctly. If I find a torn filter, I am a little concerned, but not enough to be an idiot and tear my engine apart. I don't know when the defect happened.
I do know when I see a pattern of a particular brand to fail that I will quit using that product.

Inspecting it (cutting it apart) after it's been on a car for thousands of miles accomplishes what ? You find a defect then, so what do you do ?

Most logical people would start using filters that don't have a history of tearing/failing.

On the other hand, what kind of person would continue using filters that have had a history of tearing when there are alternatives that have not shown that history?

One can rationalize it all you like but that does not make it rational. I don't have to cut open any filters, all I have to do is use ones that have not been shown to tear.

Yep, it's that simple ...
And I did cut them open - several unused filters just to get my hands on the media
Hard to believe how weak it is compared to other brands I have attempted to tear -
The Puro/MC's tear with little effort at all - so a bit of P*A = force to fail that media
The information is out there - but sometimes brand loyalty trumps it all - rock on !

Ive had them fail...and I've cut new ones and just like 4wd was shocked at what i found. All 820s.

I wouldn't assume engine damage resulted though. I simply switched to Fram and moved on and ran that way until the truck was totaled.
I won't buy a [censored] motor craft or a [censored] tear plus as i can get better quality for less money...simple as that.

I have zero brand loyalty unless we are talking about beer or guns.

Originally Posted by Doublehaul
why is [censored] tear plus censored? Has this become N Korea now?

See the sticky thread.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Inspecting it (cutting it apart) after it's been on a car for thousands of miles accomplishes what ? You find a defect then, so what do you do ?

Most logical people would start using filters that don't have a history of tearing/failing.
Trolling.gif

I guess I'm going against the grain here. I'm so NON LOGICAL I might just get a tattoo of the number 820S.
coffee2.gif
35.gif
28.gif

Five minutes of fame. Nothing to see here....move along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back