Commuting in a truck (a year later).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't be happier. Made the switch a year ago...always thought people were nuts for doing it...been pleasantly surprised. Now I know why I see so many pickups on the road.

The driving height and visibility is great. The gas mileage has been a pleasant surprise (I average around 25 mpg over my 500 mile weekly commute).

I need to have a truck anyway, as I've always had a beater truck in the driveway. And I needed something where when repairs are needed, parts wouldn't be hard to get or overly expensive. I owned a Lexus LS 460 before this...great car...but when you're replacing the entire front suspension every two years and it's costing you thousands?? Kind of gets old. Of when the heater blower motor breaks in the dead of the winter and you figure...oh it'll be a $150 dollar part...and it quickly turns into a $350 dollar part (not labor, but price at the parts counter).

Pleasantly surprised how quiet, comfortable and smooth the truck drives. Love the driving feel of being able to sit up a little higher and being able to see what's ahead of you. It's been great. Love not having to worry about road conditions, snow, getting stuck.

Anyone else commute in a truck? Or make the switch?

Originally Posted by Railrust
The driving height and visibility is great.

That's what I always liked about driving either my truck or Jeep, if I ever got stuck in heavy traffic. The visibility was so much better compared to a low riding sedan. Now being retired, along with living out here it's not an issue any longer. But I still like the advantage of seeing what's out in front of me.

Railrust - what truck did you switch to? Details would be nice to know. You must be very easy on the pedal to get 25mpg from a truck (any truck) and presuming a lot of highway miles?

As a related conversation, the "visibility" advantage will continue to diminish as more and more folks get into SUVs and trucks. The height advantage goes away when a lot more are doing the same thing.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
Railrust - what truck did you switch to? Details would be nice to know. You must be very easy on the pedal to get 25mpg from a truck (any truck) and presuming a lot of highway miles?

As a related conversation, the "visibility" advantage will continue to diminish as more and more folks get into SUVs and trucks. The height advantage goes away when a lot more are doing the same thing.

He mentioned in another thread that it's a 2018 Silverado with the 5.3L.

I've always driven pickups as my daily vehicle. I enjoy taking the 442 out occasionally, but for daily work nothing beats a pickup. I'd hate to be trapped in a little econobox every time I need to go somewhere, especially on a longer trip.

You basically nailed it on the head why people buy and prefer recent compact SUVs in droves in terms of comfort and visibility with even better MPG then a full size.

Our 2018 Tiguan is so comfortable and quiet.

Last edited:
No worries, there are a few skunks who are offended that other folks drive bigger vehicles than they drive.

But pay them no mind, enjoy your ride!

I work with a guy who just got a new Raptor. He traded a Focus RS in for it. He also has a GT-R and, before that, a Charger Hellcat.

He doesn't have any kind of beater for his commute, which is about 45 minutes of highway. He's never owned a truck before, but I told him that after his experiences with the RS, GT-R, and Hellcat, the Raptor will probably become his favorite daily driver yet. It will be comfortable, fast, and convenient - pretty much the same reasons why truck sales outpace car sales on a national level. So far, he loves the Raptor.

I couldn't be happier in my '19 2.7 EB F-150. Went to Lake Placid last week, took the 90 from Buffalo to Syracuse, 81 up to Watertown, then 3A/3/86 over to Lake Placid. Averaged 24-25 MPG, filled up in Lake Placid before we left to return home and had 100 miles to empty when we got home.

It's about the same fuel economy as our Taurus (or my old Accord when I'd hammer foot it all the time to just get the thing to move), driving to work, shorter trips I do see a lot of 20-22 MPG.

I will agree, I love the visibility, the ride height and overall comfort. Pickups are just a great package. Plus it is a lot easier to go four-wheeling/ATV when you have a truck versus a car.

I went from a 2004 VW Jetta TDi wagon to my 2010 Tundra to my 1999 Camry. Let's see...

The truck is more quiet, no doubt about it (although the wife's 2011 Camry is more quiet, no driveline noise). The Jetta was more nimble, less bouncy, but for commuting that really isn't too big of an issue on the highway. The truck though tends to crash on the bigger bumps and then rebound a bit; the cars seem to recover faster. The solid rear axle makes its presence known on occasion on some bumps. Ingress/egress doesn't bother me, both have their issues (I was always bashing a shin in my Jetta, the truck I have to step on a running board and then grab a handle to swing up and in, the Camry is ok but I do feel like I'm sitting pretty low).

Without a doubt parking sucks. I've always been in the habit of pulling through, but otherwise visibility sucks. Part of that isn't the trucks fault, it's the rollover standards dictating massive pillars. There's a few intersections where I need to turn the wrong way so as to uncover blind spots. Then there's other blind spots, mostly fixed with convex mirrors and a backup camera, but I always feel like i'm driving something rather large--and often am worried about what I might hit.

Getting into my Camry reminds me that all trucks have their headlights at eye level. It's rather annoying! It can also be annoying at intersections, if they pull alongside I loose all visibility on that side if they pull ahead, as I can't see through them.

I'm starting to dread working on my truck. I almost need a stepstool to add oil; I need a ladder to wash the roof. I have to use two bottle jacks to lift the front end during tire changeover--and guess what, those wheels ain't light. Bed is a mile off the ground. Makes for a good work bench but it sucks getting into. I recently moved, did the vast majority of work. No issues with my back. Go to help out a friend, and within 5 minutes my back is hurting. The difference? On my move I used an enclosed trailer that I could stand upright in. For him I just grabbed my truck and.. when I went to move a box in the back, hunched over under the camper shell / topper, I wind up lifting in the wrong way. Starting to think that, if I can't use the bed properly, I might as well trade down to something that doesn't have cargo space that I can't use, or that I really should think about taking the topper off (and then dealing with a tonno cover instead).

On the flip side, sure is nice to have cargo space. See something on the way home from work that you want to get? Sure, just pick it up. Am thinking about building a shed in the backyard; fill the bed with lumber and just drive out there (if I had a SUV I'd have to back up the trailer instead). It's the worst vehicle in snow I've ever had--but at the same time, once I flip it into 4WD it'll go through a good amount of snow (although that primitive 4WD is a drawback).

In the end, the pitiful mpg of my truck kinda pushed me into a beater commuter. Fuel savings on my 100 mile roundtrip pays for reg&ins on my Camry. Not enough that I could swing a car payment mind you, but it's a substantial cost. It's also nice having N+1 vehicles. The Tunda could crack 20mpg in summer with careful driving but never more than 16 in winter. The Camry is about 28-30 year round.

"The Tunda could crack 20mpg in summer with careful driving but never more than 16 in winter."

Pretty well identical to the gas mileage I get with my company's 2018 Ram 1500 Hemi. The only two things I don't like about this truck (as far as buying one for myself) is the fuel economy in comparison to a car, and parking. I had a personal truck for ten years (many years ago), sold it and bought a utility trailer instead. Since then trucks have come a long way though.

Originally Posted by dnewton3

2018 Silverado 5.3

And you're right, I am very easy on the gas pedal. The truck glides very easily, and I do a lot of highway.

Now if I have fun driving it? Yeah I'd probably average 18 or 20

And I guess you're right, visibility will diminish as more and more people go to these SUV's and pickups...seeing that more and more. The sedans are getting fewer and fewer every year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton
I went from a 2004 VW Jetta TDi wagon to my 2010 Tundra to my 1999 Camry. Let's see...

The truck is more quiet, no doubt about it (although the wife's 2011 Camry is more quiet, no driveline noise). The Jetta was more nimble, less bouncy, but for commuting that really isn't too big of an issue on the highway. The truck though tends to crash on the bigger bumps and then rebound a bit; the cars seem to recover faster. The solid rear axle makes its presence known on occasion on some bumps. Ingress/egress doesn't bother me, both have their issues (I was always bashing a shin in my Jetta, the truck I have to step on a running board and then grab a handle to swing up and in, the Camry is ok but I do feel like I'm sitting pretty low).

Without a doubt parking sucks. I've always been in the habit of pulling through, but otherwise visibility sucks. Part of that isn't the trucks fault, it's the rollover standards dictating massive pillars. There's a few intersections where I need to turn the wrong way so as to uncover blind spots. Then there's other blind spots, mostly fixed with convex mirrors and a backup camera, but I always feel like i'm driving something rather large--and often am worried about what I might hit.

Getting into my Camry reminds me that all trucks have their headlights at eye level. It's rather annoying! It can also be annoying at intersections, if they pull alongside I loose all visibility on that side if they pull ahead, as I can't see through them.

I'm starting to dread working on my truck. I almost need a stepstool to add oil; I need a ladder to wash the roof. I have to use two bottle jacks to lift the front end during tire changeover--and guess what, those wheels ain't light. Bed is a mile off the ground. Makes for a good work bench but it sucks getting into. I recently moved, did the vast majority of work. No issues with my back. Go to help out a friend, and within 5 minutes my back is hurting. The difference? On my move I used an enclosed trailer that I could stand upright in. For him I just grabbed my truck and.. when I went to move a box in the back, hunched over under the camper shell / topper, I wind up lifting in the wrong way. Starting to think that, if I can't use the bed properly, I might as well trade down to something that doesn't have cargo space that I can't use, or that I really should think about taking the topper off (and then dealing with a tonno cover instead).

On the flip side, sure is nice to have cargo space. See something on the way home from work that you want to get? Sure, just pick it up. Am thinking about building a shed in the backyard; fill the bed with lumber and just drive out there (if I had a SUV I'd have to back up the trailer instead). It's the worst vehicle in snow I've ever had--but at the same time, once I flip it into 4WD it'll go through a good amount of snow (although that primitive 4WD is a drawback).

In the end, the pitiful mpg of my truck kinda pushed me into a beater commuter. Fuel savings on my 100 mile roundtrip pays for reg&ins on my Camry. Not enough that I could swing a car payment mind you, but it's a substantial cost. It's also nice having N+1 vehicles. The Tunda could crack 20mpg in summer with careful driving but never more than 16 in winter. The Camry is about 28-30 year round.

You gave some good points, I definitely agree about the parking - and that's the one negative I've found with the truck compared to the car - it's just a pain in parking lots as I stick out, or find it hard to maneuver around.

As far as working on it, I actually find it easier as I am tall and I didn't like hunching over the engine on my previous car. And my gas mileage has actually been pretty close to my previous vehicle, plus I no longer have to use Super.

Commuting in a truck is miserable. Gas mileage stinks, changing lanes, parking, storage while parked is all more difficult. I don't want to make the drive any more miserable than it is.

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Commuting in a truck is miserable. Gas mileage stinks, changing lanes, parking, storage while parked is all more difficult. I don't want to make the drive any more miserable than it is.

All depends on where you commute....an hour in LA vs an hour on a two lane in BFE are worlds apart.

I have commuted in a 1/2 ton for more than a decade. It is more expensive because of fuel, but since I want to have a truck for helping looking after my property and to carrying out personal hobbies, it's worth the cost to me. I have thought about having another commuter car and just saving the truck for when I need it, but the cost savings are minimal. For me, it's not worth the hassle of having an extra vehicle to maintain (we currently have two daily driver's and two hobby cars). I am tall, and I find the high seating position and the good head and leg room of a truck to be more comfortable than most cars. The ride is a bit more primitive, but it's well suited for my rough rural roads I commute on. While maybe a minivan or SUV with a trailer would work in place of a truck, quite frankly, I just like the way trucks drives. The higher seating position isn't really a plus or minus for me. I can see fine in driving a Corvette or a truck.

So for me a truck has a practical side, but I also admit some of it is also my personal preference to drive what I like. As for fuel mileage, I find reducing your commuting speeds makes a big difference in fuel mileage over the long term, while there is often minimal to no impact on your commute time. My current truck is going on 12 years old, but it's lifetime fuel average (including winter) is 16.9 MPG (US). I can touch 20 MPG on the highway, if I keep the speed to about 70 MPH.

Originally Posted by supton
I . It's the worst vehicle in snow I've ever had--but at the same time, once I flip it into 4WD it'll go through a good amount of snow (although that primitive 4WD is a drawback).

That's surprising. I have a Tundra like yours (although it's a 5.7L) and it's a tank in the snow. It runs circles around my wife's Subaru (with Michelin Winter tires), especially in really bad road conditions. I live on a poorly maintained hilly rural road and typically leave work before the roads are plowed. My Tundra has been unstoppable even in the absolute worst winter conditions. The area I live in has very harsh winters, lots of snow and cold, but the majority of the winter I can easily run 2WD. Only when the roads get rough do I need 4WD. MInd you, I run four winter tires, but even with the all seasons I have been caught in the snow, and it's been good.

I personally like the "primitive 4WD" in the snow, as it distributes power 50:50 making it a well balanced vehicle in the snow. My wife's Subaru on the other hand has way too much front bias and causing understeer.

I owned a Lexus LS 460 before this...great car...but when you're replacing the entire front suspension every two years and it's costing you thousands?? Kind of gets old.

What road obstacles were you attempting to clear with your Lexus that caused that much damage?!
crazy2.gif

My Lexus is still on it's original suspension with no rattles, or slop whatsoever

But yes, I kind of wish we chose an SUV over the Lexus.
Something with 2wd, yet luxury like the Lexus.
Does such a vehicle exist?

Originally Posted by JLTD
Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar

All depends on where you commute....an hour in LA vs an hour on a two lane in BFE are worlds apart.

As someone who lives in BFE I take offense!
lol.gif
My trip of 54 miles to work takes, according to Android, 54-55 minutes. I can think of only two traffic lights that are in a 20 mile radius of where I live...

Originally Posted by Oldswagon

That's surprising. I have a Tundra like yours (although it's a 5.7L) and it's a tank in the snow. It runs circles around my wife's Subaru (with Michelin Winter tires), especially in really bad road conditions. I live on a poorly maintained hilly rural road and typically leave work before the roads are plowed. My Tundra has been unstoppable even in the absolute worst winter conditions. The area I live in has very harsh winters, lots of snow and cold, but the majority of the winter I can easily run 2WD. Only when the roads get rough do I need 4WD. MInd you, I run four winter tires, but even with the all seasons I have been caught in the snow, and it's been good.

I personally like the "primitive 4WD" in the snow, as it distributes power 50:50 making it a well balanced vehicle in the snow. My wife's Subaru on the other hand has way too much front bias and causing understeer.

I run in 2HI as long as I can. I know myself. In 4HI I can't feel road conditions very well, but in 2HI, if I feel TC kick in, or the tires spin, I know to slow down. In 4HI i'd be one of those people flying down the road (well I usually am, but only worse).

My driveway usually requires lock to lock turning, so driveline binding is a constant nuisance. This summer I parked a trailer in a friends yard; he said to use 4WD in the yard. So I did. Lock to lock turning on dry grass and I kept having to goose the throttle so spin a tire while moving around. Even on snow the tires get good bite; roll 4 feet, come to stop, gun the engine... repeat.

But yeah, in 4HI it has quite a bit of traction, not lacking there. Well until it gets high ended, get some packing snow and it's gave over. Thankfully that is not very often.

Anyone else commute in a truck? Or make the switch?

Went from an IS250 ( 25-35mpg) to my 15-23mpg, and while no surprise, not exactly a something I'm enjoying (although the range per fill up is a sweet 500+ mi). However, it is worth the extra couple bucks at the pump to have the utility, visibility and cleanliness (dog is finally out of the pass compartment). I imagine my repair bills will eat me alive, as the Lexus had 0 [cost] problems, and this is a CryCo product.
I do have to say the 8' box crew cab length is a pita, but a blessing in disguise, forcing me to walk longer distances. And I can't stand the AS69RC, feels like a tranny with 400k on in, but I hear it butters out when you hook up, which I haven't yet.
With maintenance going up about 3x, fuel cost 2x, and the ability to park in the same neighborhood as the destination under constant threat, won't even get into reliability, I view it as an expense I choose to pay for the luxury of a truck. Because at the end of the day, every single thing outside of food, water and shelter, is a luxury, and every decision comes with a consequence.

20190623_133745.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back