Looks like Glock listened to their customers

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have given all gen 5 pistols front slide serrations which they advertise as newer and better and by demand. But they have also quietly removed the dumb front grip cutout that most people hated and make no mention of it on their web page. Interesting that...

-BF, unhappy gen 5 owner

By front grip cut out, are you referring to finger grooves?

I'm yet to try a gen 5. I'm happy with my gen 4s. Also did not have an issue with gen 3.

Just curious, what makes you unhappy with the gen 5? If you're unhappy with a gen 5, you can't go wrong with an older model.

Quite possibly the most conservative gun manufacturer ever. Solid design but their idea of "innovation" is laughable.

Originally Posted by Reddy45
Quite possibly the most conservative gun manufacturer ever. Solid design but their idea of "innovation" is laughable.

Only if you think success is somehow funny. Glock is one of the most successful pistol designs in modern history. Why would you want to change that?

Most gun companies that are constantly chasing "innovation", are usually chasing more proven designs like Glock. You saw what happened when Coke tried to reinvent itself through "innovation". It was a total disaster. When something isn't broken you don't try to constantly fix it.

Originally Posted by Hakkinen

I'm yet to try a gen 5. I'm happy with my gen 4s. Also did not have an issue with gen 3.

Just curious, what makes you unhappy with the gen 5? If you're unhappy with a gen 5, you can't go wrong with an older model.

No. Please look at pics of a gen 5 Glock. Finger grooves are removed but a cutout in the grip was added. No one liked it. Some didn't care. Most hated it. I despise it.

Originally Posted by billt460

Only if you think success is somehow funny. Glock is one of the most successful pistol designs in modern history. Why would you want to change that?

Most gun companies that are constantly chasing "innovation", are usually chasing more proven designs like Glock. You saw what happened when Coke tried to reinvent itself through "innovation". It was a total disaster. When something isn't broken you don't try to constantly fix it.

I get that their formula works, but the way that they grandly announce each "generation" is a joke when each generation is adding/removing finger grooves, grip lengths, slide lengths, slide serrations, frame colors, etc.

At this point why not just condense all the improvements into a single generation for each model number and call it good?

It seems like they're mostly trying to justify having law enforcement agencies buy new guns. If nothing changed then the agencies wouldn't get the funding.

I think it was initially innovative how dead simple the original 17 was. It seemed other manufacturers didn't realize how basic you could make a functioning pistol work and still make it reliable and 'safe'. Glocks are beautiful in their simplicity and ugliness. lol

Ah I see. Must have been for prying stuck magazines.

Yep, which happens like, never. It was a problem that didn't need solving. And using cutout-filling mag baseplates is a band-aid that does not work as well as it looks. Those just introduce a different problem, pinching your skin.

Beyond that it's a nice pistol for sure, a nice 'thing' to own but I've since moved on to a non-cutout 17 MOS and two Polymer80s. I'm hoping to sell it soon.

I think the one mistake Glock has made with the later generation guns, was getting away from Tennifer. Whatever they are now using is nowhere near as rust or wear resistant. Everything else is a bunch of cosmetics. None of which everyone will like.

They got away from Tennifer because our EPA won't allow it to be applied here in the states. While popular, they don't sell anywhere near the numbers in the states that one would believe. They are roughly around #6 with about 350,000 pistols sold in the states, compared to Smith and Ruger who go back and forth between 1&2. They sell around a million handguns per year each in the states.

I really want a gen 5 Glock 17. I also want to remove the finger grooves from my gen 3 but I have an RTF frame and I don't want to modify it.

They should have made it like that from the start instead of coming out with all these different versions, like they were using their customers as beta testers.

Never been a Glock fan, personally.

I have shot the 19X though, while it is accurate, I'm glad the military chose the Sig over it. Although I woulda liked to have seen the last iteration of the M9 instead.

Glocks just never fit right in my giant hands.

You don't need to do a lot of innovating when you have a great product. A lot of times you start going backwards.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder

No. Please look at pics of a gen 5 Glock. Finger grooves are removed but a cutout in the grip was added. No one liked it. Some didn't care. Most hated it. I despise it.

*Glad Glock dropped that stupid FBI hold over bottom grip cut out (supposedly to help extract magazines faster should they get stuck) - I hated the "feature" , good riddance !!
Conversely ,it stinks to be a owner of the early Gen 5's that have the cut out at the bottom of the grip .

Lots of Glock experience, the Gen 4s seem to suit me best. I do get frustrated with their propensity to tease buyers with staged minor changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back