Virginia gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

mez

About 3-4 times a year i drive from MA to NC, when i stop for gas at ANY Virginia gas station my mileage on my Honda Ridgeline increases by 2mpg. Any one knows why? It does not matter the brand of gas either. Just curious. Thanks

I get the same 2mpg increase on the return trip home!! i figure they use less or ethanol free gas?

Maybe the refinery serving the stations you bought at contains no ethanol.
There is an easy way to find out if the gas your buying has any ethanol in it. You add water to gas and shake it up.
You will see three phases if the fuel has 10% ethanol in it.

You are most likely buying ethanol free gas. When you get away from Northern Va and Richmond you find it. I used to drive from N. Va. down thru the center of Va. and buy cheap gas along the way. My mileage went up 2-3 mpg on that one tank.

Unless you're at a marina gas pump or a sunoco pump buying 100 octane, I'm not aware of any normal use gas pumps which aren't E10 in this state anymore.

Sure you can find non ethanol but it'll be only 87 octane and it'll cost a dollar more a gallon.

Don't fill up here next time, bring gas from your home gas station and run the same test, might be the road surface as we have some road surfaces designed for low drag in the non snow regions

Originally Posted by mez
About 3-4 times a year i drive from MA to NC, when i stop for gas at ANY Virginia gas station my mileage on my Honda Ridgeline increases by 2mpg. Any one knows why? It does not matter the brand of gas either. Just curious. Thanks

Also the price is usually good. Today in Virginia Beach I saw regular unleaded at a Citgo and a Shell station for $2.27.

I had the same thing happen while driving from Florida to NY last March (a 2 mpg improvement in my Escape).....I attributed it to my use of Exxon gas....but maybe you are on to something with the formulation....

I've wondered if we actually have the ethanol content indicated on the pumps. I've never experienced the ethanol issues that the rest of the internet complains about.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Imp4
Is it downhill from VA to NC???

Past Fredericksburg, pretty much.

Downhill both ways
smile.gif
However, be prepared for the worst traffic backups from Fredricksburg to the DC Beltway on the weekend.

FOR CHEAP GAS - Rt 95 at Exit 104 (aka Route 207) generally has really inexpensive gas, although frequently they are generic brands.

https://www.google.com/maps/search/exit+104+fredericksburg+va/@37.9336129,-77.4822605,14z

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Originally Posted by mez

Also the price is usually good. Today in Virginia Beach I saw regular unleaded at a Citgo and a Shell station for $2.27.

This past weekend it was $2.09 at Rt 95 at exit 104, which is close to Doswell . About 30-40 cents a gallon cheaper than my area.

Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Originally Posted by mez

This past weekend it was $2.09 at Rt 95 at exit 104, which is close to Doswell . About 30-40 cents a gallon cheaper than my area.

Outside of The dc area, VA gas prices are decent. I often fill up in King George county for very good prices.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
Originally Posted by mez

Outside of The dc area, VA gas prices are decent. I often fill up in King George county for very good prices.

Have you gotten the gas at the Marathon in Port Royal off 301 ??

Many of the gasoline stations along I95 on that corridor say on the pumps "May include up to 10% ethanol".

My take is that some stations may have a smaller percentage of ethanol, perhaps the Virginia stations have a smaller percentage. One of my fill-ups on my last run was in Virginia, a shell station right off a northbound exit in the 20's, an isolated stretch. If I got better mileage, I didn't notice.

Originally Posted by SeaJay
Many of the gasoline stations along I95 on that corridor say on the pumps "May include up to 10% ethanol".

I generally only fill up around the Richmond metro area, but I can't remember ever seeing a pump that didn't have that sticker.

Here's my guess about the OP's mileage--If you're filling up after the constipation around DC, Fredericksburg, and sometimes Richmond, maybe your mpg is better because you can actually set the cruise and maintain a steady speed.

^^^^^^^
Great point...

And to add to that... Interstate 95 is quite hilly in northern Virginia above Fredricksburg. And south of Richmond it is rather flat which would greatly help fuel economy too... Parts of 301 south of Richmond in which 301 runs right beside 95 it can be really flat and straight for miles at a time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back