Curious response from Mobil 1 on mixing viscosities

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Next OCI on the Wrangler I'm going to get six single quarts of different oils and mix them all together just to see what happens.

What do you expect to happen? My guess is nothing.

lol

1 quart each:

Edge
PP
QSUD
Napa Syn
Mobil 1
Magnatec

banana2.gif

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Next OCI on the Wrangler I'm going to get six single quarts of different oils and mix them all together just to see what happens.

What do you expect to happen? My guess is nothing.

lol

1 quart each:

Edge
PP
QSUD
Napa Syn
Mobil 1
Magnatec

banana2.gif

That's an expensive OC if you are paying retail by the quart!

Originally Posted by dogememe
A while back I mixed like a dozen random oils of different brands, viscosity, etc into a big bucket. I've slowly been using that up in friends cars to top up or occasionally change oil. 0 issues. All these are older cars so nothing under warranty.

I currently have a 5QT jug that has about a half a quart of 8-10 different oils in it. Both my cars take roughly 4.3-4.5 quarts so I always have a half quart leftover and I drain them all into a clean leftover jug. It's all 100% synthetic 0w20, 5w20 and a tiny bit of 5w30. Pennzoil, supertech, mobile 1, Idemitsu, and shell gas truck.

I'm a little uneasy on using it for a full OCI. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.

But if your a quart low, "almost everybody" here says it's ok to add a quart of different oil if you can't get the original fill.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Buy a quart of each. Run one and then the other. Problem solved.

Thank you, it took two pages to get to the correct answer.

Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Originally Posted by dogememe
A while back I mixed like a dozen random oils of different brands, viscosity, etc into a big bucket. I've slowly been using that up in friends cars to top up or occasionally change oil. 0 issues. All these are older cars so nothing under warranty.

I currently have a 5QT jug that has about a half a quart of 8-10 different oils in it. Both my cars take roughly 4.3-4.5 quarts so I always have a half quart leftover and I drain them all into a clean leftover jug. It's all 100% synthetic 0w20, 5w20 and a tiny bit of 5w30. Pennzoil, supertech, mobile 1, Idemitsu, and shell gas truck.

I'm a little uneasy on using it for a full OCI. Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.

Put it in the 2005 Honda for your next OC.

Originally Posted by Throt
I mix Mobil AFE 0w20 and multiple flavors of 5w30 all the time. Usually do a half and half. Never worried a bit about it. The 1.5L in my Honda is known for dilution (in the CR-V at least) so I feel warm and fuzzy inside making a 2.5w25 just as a little reassurance it doesn't thin out too much. Probably unnecessary but I don't care. Engine will never know the difference.

Ditto - I've used *50% QSUD 5W20 + 50% QSUD 5W30 in a vehicle approved for either oil for the same reasons .

I listen to a couple of podcasts while driving and one of them said in their 45 years of changing oil in cars they can remember two oil-related failures of an engine.

2 since the middle 70's.

I'll let that sink in.

Originally Posted by leeharvey418

1 quart each:

Edge
PP
QSUD
Napa Syn
Mobil 1
Magnatec

banana2.gif

What are you trying to do, put Redline out of business??

1 Quart Each:

Ravenol
Redline
Amsoil SS
Schaeffers
Royal Purple HPS

Someone asked why I have these...They were two rebate purchases. Got each for about $11 or $12, if memory serves. Buying the other single quart at full price - about $8 - always bugs me.

What I'd really like to see is the oil companies moving to a 6 qt. jug. But maybe that only happens when we die and go to BITOG heaven.

Originally Posted by HawkeyeScott
Someone asked why I have these...They were two rebate purchases. Got each for about $11 or $12, if memory serves. Buying the other single quart at full price - about $8 - always bugs me.

What I'd really like to see is the oil companies moving to a 6 qt. jug. But maybe that only happens when we die and go to BITOG heaven.

Is Mobil one avaliable in 6 gallon box or 5 gallon buckets?

Off the top of my head I know:

5gal:
Redline
Royal Purple
Schaeffers
Gulftec
Milesyn

6gal:
Pennzoil
Eneos

Might be something to look into if you have big sumps and multiple vehicles. :Shrug:

actually you are not mixing. you are blending!
real blenders will tell you that when you blend 5W30 and 0W30, you get 2.5W30
Everyone happy now?
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Everyone happy now?
shocked2.gif

Yes, we see a lot of that here. Only the math isn't that simple unfortunately.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Everyone happy now?
shocked2.gif

Yeah, that's just wrong. And, the oil will flow more like the 5W before getting warmed up.

My general rule for mixing is if you want to mix "long term" (for reasons I don't know why) try and stick within a brand or chemistry that is similar. Mobil 1 has always used consistent chemistry across their line (other than base oil blend %'s and for some European/Diesel/Low SAP oils). Being there are only so many base oil and additive types (packages etc.) compatibility is not an issue. However, when you mix different oils with different percentages of additives and base oils you're now getting an unknown product, something I'd advise against long term. You also diluted the main oil with other oils so it can't do its job as intended. It's common sense. For this situation of a 5:1 AFE/HM blend, that's fine and very insignificant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back