Everstart Max or AC from Menards

Status
Not open for further replies.
any experience with size 24F battery, Everstart Max 3 year free replacement/2 year prorated $93.76 from Walmart or AC Delco Advantage 3 year free replacement $84.54 from Menards.

Looking for real experience

Thanks,

I'd get the $49 battery from Walmart. Speculation is that it's the same as the $100 battery, but the more expensive battery has a longer warranty, which you pay almost $50 for. You can warrantee you own battery every couple years at $50.

I got the $49 one from Walmart for two different cars in January. I made sure it was the East Penn battery instead of the JC made battery. The model number will start with "EP" and there won't be any raised vent caps on them. Hopefully you're area stocks the EP batteries. I emailed EP to see which Walmarts are stocked by them and they got back to me about it which helped the search. Now I think all of them carry them around here but it does vary by region. Back at that time the stores would have half EP batteries and the other half JC batteries.

Originally Posted by kasone
any experience with size 24F battery, Everstart Max 3 year free replacement/2 year prorated $93.76 from Walmart or AC Delco Advantage 3 year free replacement $84.54 from Menards.

Thanks,

I am going for East Penn manufactured batteries these days. Not too hard to find. NAPA are, at least the AGM is. I am not going to the absolute lowest dollar cost any more.

any experience with size 24F battery, Everstart Max 3 year free replacement/2 year prorated $93.76 from Walmart.....

I put one in my car a few months ago so I can't really speak for the longevity of it yet.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I'd get the $49 battery from Walmart. Speculation is that it's the same as the $100 battery, but the more expensive battery has a longer warranty, which you pay almost $50 for.

I "speculated" that a while ago. I want to say I even compared many of the specs, mainly weight. Walmart could "underrate" (CCA, etc) the less expensive battery to make it appear to be different too.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
I made sure it was the East Penn battery instead of the JC made battery.

What part of Ohio ? In SW Ohio, it used to be Johnson Controls but they're switching over to Exide.

The Everstart Max we got for my wife's Santa Fe Sport has performed quite nicely for close to 5 years now. No experience with AC.

My n=1 survey (anecdotal evidence) backs up this. I bought one in December 2016 and it's still going strong in my 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis.

If you get 2 years out of it, you are money ahead. if mine keeps going, and I'll test it in December, it will start its fourth year of service this winter.

I'd get the $49 battery from Walmart. Speculation is that it's the same as the $100 battery, but the more expensive battery has a longer warranty, which you pay almost $50 for. You can warrantee you own battery every couple years at $50.

I work at Walmart. It seems to me Walmart has the economy battery warranty down to a science. It's rare to see those last more than 2 years. I do believe it is different than the Maxx but don't have proof. The Maxx usually does last the full 3 years and usually ends up dying in the almost worthless pro-rate warranty. A lot of times I've only given back $5-$15 on the proration only good towards a new battery.

If it was me I would buy the Maxx and call it a few years.

In July they switched production from Johnson Controls to Exide. At least in my part of the country. No idea on the build quality of them vs the JCI made batteries.

I have always had great luck with Walmart's Everstart Maxx. I've used several. There's a 24F in my Odyssey that's about 7 years old that's still working nicely. Had one in a Pontiac Bonneville last like 12 years IIRC, but the battery was located in the passenger compartment so that likely contributed to long life. All the ones I've used were made by Johnson Controls.

Had an Exide valu-start fail on me in only a couple years. Learning little, I bought another, but this time made by East Penn. So far, so good, and I'd do it again.

It's hard for us to know the future 5 years in when they don't keep a supplier or formula for 5 years. And this isn't really just walmart and batteries-- it's tires and other semi-durable goods.

I did have a very positive walmart battery warranty experience a while back.

The longevity of any lead acid battery is directly related to its average state of charge and its average temperature.

Reports of longevity good or bad, without knowing whether the battery averages 97% state of charge or 79% state of charge, are meaningless.

Kept cool and 100% fully charged is ideal, anything less, is just that, the only factor is the degree. hotter and lower average state of charge will destroy capacity and cranking performance much faster as well as extending the time it takes to get teh battery to a true full 100% state of charge, should that be attempted.

The average state of charge of a starting battery, without intervention by a maintenance minded human who uses an external charging source regularly, is determined by the vehicle's voltage regulator, and how much battery capacity is used those times when the engine is not running.

So comparisons are vaild amongst the same vehicle in the same usage in the same climate, and almost totally irrelevant in all other situations.

If one really wants to get excellent battery longevity, plug in and recharge it often to as close to full as your charge is capable of.

Expecting ones vehicle is capable of quickly and fully charging a somewhat depleted battery, each time the vehicle is driven, is ignorance at its finest, as widespread as it is, and will continue to be.

If comparing two batteries of the same size group, the heavier battery will likely be the better one., but it will not be immune to excessive heat or living chronically undercharged.

I had a Maxx for nearly 5 years in a Camry with a bad alternator. The thing started the car every time until just a few weeks ago. The alternator was putting out just 9 volts toward the end and the battery didn't care. It tested at about 75 cold cranking amps and was obviously on the way out but it still started the car.

Finally, one night, the alternator completely bit the dust. The car was running off the battery alone. It ran for about a mile and finally died.

If I were to get a battery today, I'd consider a Maxx. I did get a battery recently, but it was a AGM from O'Reilly for the price of a regular Maxx. Employee discount rocks!

Last edited:
I can't speak for a group 24F size, but Walmart's not selling the same thing with a different label for twice the price on other Everstart Maxx group sizes I bought. There is a significant weight difference.

Thanks,

I have bought nothing but Everstart max's. I average 5-7 years with them.

Last edited:

I doubt it. I would bet there is a big difference in weight between the two.

The Valuepower group 24F actually weighs 41 pounds which does correlate to the East Penn 624fmf battery... The mid tier battery EP makes in group 24f size..

The lower tier group 24f battery from East Penn weighs 37 pounds aka the 524fmf battery. The highest tier flooded group 24f battery from East Penn weighs 42.5 pounds is the 724fmf battery... And that is the battery at Walmart that sells for $100.

So the Valuepower battery made by East Penn is actually the same battery that has a two year free replacement warranty from O Reilly's and the exact same battery that carries a 3 year free replacement warranty from Federated Auto and Auto Value.

I just know it's been a good battery for my 99 MGM. It had no problem starting the car last winter when it was something like 5 or 10 below after sitting outside all night.

https://video.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.90...c11375dffc61d726ee9aa4c2&oe=5D6A9510

Seems like a low risk gamble to choose one of these.

Originally Posted by bbhero
The Valuepower group 24F actually weighs 41 pounds which does correlate to the East Penn 624fmf battery... The mid tier battery EP makes in group 24f size..

The lower tier group 24f battery from East Penn weighs 37 pounds aka the 524fmf battery. The highest tier flooded group 24f battery from East Penn weighs 42.5 pounds is the 724fmf battery... And that is the battery at Walmart that sells for $100.

So the Valuepower battery made by East Penn is actually the same battery that has a two year free replacement warranty from O Reilly's and the exact same battery that carries a 3 year free replacement warranty from Federated Auto and Auto Value.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
I made sure it was the East Penn battery instead of the JC made battery.

What part of Ohio ? In SW Ohio, it used to be Johnson Controls but they're switching over to Exide.

This is in NE Ohio. Hopefully, they keep stocking this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back