Repair the tire, or keep driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a small screw in my tire tread tonight, tires are fairly new, were put on around 4 months ago. It does appear to be in a location that is safe to repair, I'm just not sure if I should since the tire still holds air just fine.

Tread depth where the small screw went in = 8/32 or 9/32, around 6.35mm - 7.14mm.

Shaft length of small screw, 11-12mm (can't remember the exact number with dial caliper.)

It kind of seemed like the screw went in at an angle when I pulled it out, I can't remember exactly. Would you still repair the tire just in case? Or keep driving, and not worry about it.

*Oh, just to be clear. In the pictures the screw is just sitting on top of the tire, I included it for a size reference.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Get out the soapy water and check for a leak. If there is no leak, the screw did not pierce the inner part of the tire, so no worries. If it leaks, then patch it.

To patch it, you would have to put a hole in it (ice pick) so you know where the patch would go. I would just run it. Watch the TPMS.

Watch the air pressure and drive on. Breaking the tire down just to fix something that does not need to be fixed just stresses the tire somewhat. I have seen beads torn by the machine during removal.

Over the years I've taken many a pointed thing out of my tread rubber without leaks.

Bring your tires to an exact pressure (exact here means something with a round, easy to remember number with the needle of the gauge lying EXACTLY on the mark) and check it a couple of times.

No leakage = no problem

I'd probably leave it. Reminds as a couple of months ago I picked up a drywall screw and had it plugged. I said to my local repair shop guy that I used to get such fairly often years ago, but I hadn't had any in decades. Wouldn't you know a few weeks later the same thing in another car. So back to my guy and he said there was a news story about this had been happening in an area about 20 miles away very frequently. Then the other day they arrested some older dude that was seen dumping drywall screws on a road and when the cops located and stopped was found to have more in his vehicle=it's a crazy world sometimes!

Pull it out. ... there NO GUARANTEE that it is going to remain leak free tomorrow!

A tire plug is an easy repair, and if done right - is permanent.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Get out the soapy water and check for a leak. If there is no leak, the screw did not pierce the inner part of the tire, so no worries. If it leaks, then patch it.
This. That is the exact procedure Discount Tire (and most any reputable tire place) would do before doing RMA plug-patch repair in the same situation. I'd add you could air the tire up over placard some before checking, just to help assure bubbles show if punctured. Then set to the pressure you normally use.

It is in a repairable area if. Just to be on safe side, check pressure in that tire more often for awhile.

Originally Posted by Lapham3
I'd probably leave it.

Helll no! You're just going to pound it deeper into the tread. If it's not leaking now, it will soon as the tip penetrates the interior.

I just repaired 3 tires/screws almost exactly like yours. I unscrewed them and did a standard plug. All tires are holding air nicely.

2016 RAV4
2015 Altima
2015 Civic

I realize that to do a proper repair, the tire needs to be dismounted from the wheel and properly Plug/Patched. Then remount & rebalance the tires...not doin' it!

Id remove the screw. If you keepdriving it might push it in further. If after removing it, you see that it hasnt pierced through, leave as is and carry patch kit with u just in case.

Correction, I see you already removed the screw. Leave as is as long as no air leaks but be prepared in case you get one by carrying a patch kit.

Last edited:
I am old fashioned . Unless it is an emergency , I do not have tires plugged . Patches , only .

Were it me , I would have it patched , ASAP . But do as you think best .

Driving a service truck , I have picked up my share of dry wall screws on construction sites . Usually do not know it until tire starts loosing air .

Thank you for the replies everyone, I appreciate it.

Opinions in this thread are pretty split, which is how I feel on the inside, still not sure what to do.

The tire is not losing any air after being driven on, and there are no bubbles from the hole. One of my concerns is that the screw seemed to go in at an angle from what I remember. I'm kind of worried that if someone attempts to repair it, they might make a hole straight down, and not at an angle, since there may not be any evidence inside the tire to make reaming it out easier. This is also coming from someone that is not a tire tech, after thinking about it more, the tool they use may naturally take the punctured path.

I'm also thinking that since the screw was so small, and going in at an angle, it might have stayed 100% in the rubber layers. Anyway, I know I'm thinking too much about this, but I just wanted to share my additional thoughts.

twopics.jpg

So in summary, no air bubbles when tested, tire not losing any air, suspect and appears that screw took more of an angle and only in tire tread itself. Btw, that's what the pics appear to indicate to me too. All those things taken together, I'd drive on and just check air a bit more frequently. I think you'll be safe with that choice too. I wouldn't want a plug/patch where unneeded.

Correct, that's my plan too, just to keep an eye on it. I also think the type of screw worked in my favor. It looks like a self tapping screw without a point?

screw.jpg

Originally Posted by sxg6
The tire is not losing any air after being driven on, and there are no bubbles from the hole.

For now. For every tire revolution the screw get hammered deeper in. Kind of like having a splinter in your foot. Would you leave that in too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back