Oil for mk6 golf TDI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first time posting here and I need insight on what oil to run for my golf, I live in phoenix arizona running 5w-30 liqui moly top tec 4200 and my golf is dpf deleted with a power increase tune. I was looking at Amsoil's european 5w30, do you guys think that would be a better oil or are there better oils I can use than those? Everyone says that VW recommends 5w-30, is that the only weight I should stick with because I notice that some 0w-40 and 5w40 oil have better specs for the most part like amsoil European 0w40 has superior stats except for a higher Noack % which is still lower than top tec 4200.

Lot's of VW guys on here that I am sure will answer. But why not save some money with Castrol 0w40 or Mobil 0w40 at WM? Those 2 oils are cheap and have lots of certifications

Originally Posted by RECON_RON
This is my first time posting here and I need insight on what oil to run for my golf, I live in phoenix arizona running 5w-30 liqui moly top tec 4200 and my golf is dpf deleted with a power increase tune. I was looking at Amsoil's european 5w30, do you guys think that would be a better oil or are there better oils I can use than those? Everyone says that VW recommends 5w-30, is that the only weight I should stick with because I notice that some 0w-40 and 5w40 oil have better specs for the most part like amsoil European 0w40 has superior stats except for a higher Noack % which is still lower than top tec 4200.

Grade (weight) is irrelevant because your VW gives a required approval. What is the required approval?

Find the least expensive oil that has the correct approval for your car.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Grade (weight) is irrelevant because your VW gives a required approval. What is the required approval?

2.0TDI is vw 504/507......comes in xW30 grade only (regulated by a vw standard)

But since he has a DPF delete.......anything in xW40 MB 229.5 (as suggested above)

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Originally Posted by kschachn

2.0TDI is vw 504/507......comes in xW30 grade only (regulated by a vw standard)

But since he has a DPF delete.......anything in xW40 MB 229.5 (as suggested above)

As far as amsoil 5w30 or top tec 4200 which one do you think is better?

As far as amsoil 5w30 vs top tec 4200 which one do you think is better?

Neither, especially Liqui Moly.
Regardless of delete, you still want diesel oil due to soot control.
Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 or Valvoline 5W40 MST of regularly available oils.

Originally Posted by edyvw

the OP can technically run Castrol Edge 0w40, because it meets 505.00, a diesel spec.

Soot isn't as bad with ULSD compared to the older days. But if you're talking real diesel oil, then go with a HDEO. Shell Rotella T6 is always a good choice, or if you want to spend the money, Mobil Delvac 1

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

the OP can technically run Castrol Edge 0w40, because it meets 505.00, a diesel spec.

Soot isn't as bad with ULSD compared to the older days. But if you're talking real diesel oil, then go with a HDEO. Shell Rotella T6 is always a good choice, or if you want to spend the money, Mobil Delvac 1

Yeah, I forgot he might as well run that.

Originally Posted by sloinker
With the delete you can run just about anything. If you want a really good oil and cost is not the object this is priced like Amsoil and should work well.
https://www.ravenol.de/en/products/usage/d/Product/show/p/ravenol-rup-sae-5w-40.html

Looks like good oil...question is where do I buy it?

Blauparts.com is the cheapest place to order Ravenol oils.

Since you're deleted there are many more options available.

I used to use Top Tec 4200, the Used oil analysis were always disappointing. It's an expensive oil that never really performed well in my 2.0 TDI.

Mobil 1 TDT 5w40 is popular with the Mk IV TDI owners like myself and has always given excellent results. It's a great value @ $25 a gallon.

You can also use 10w30 Diesel oil since the phoenix winters are mild. A 10w30 diesel oil has similar HTHS to a 0w40 with greater shear stability and a much lower volatility.

Renewable Lubricants 10w30 or SAE 30
Amsoil ACD, ADN or DTT

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
This is a decent deal in the 3 pack and is pretty good stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/TOTAL-188058-3PK-Quartz-5W-30-Engine/dp/B00KQEHHPG?th=1

Why bother with the Low-SAP oil?

For the same reason they now recommend it in the gas cars - It's a higher quality product and a tougher specification to meet.

It is not higher quality product and it is not tough to meet.

This is a decent deal in the 3 pack and is pretty good stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/TOTAL-188058-3PK-Quartz-5W-30-Engine/dp/B00KQEHHPG?th=1

Why bother with the Low-SAP oil?

For the same reason they now recommend it in the gas cars - It's a higher quality product and a tougher specification to meet.

It is not higher quality product and it is not tough to meet.

Ok edy, as usual you know best, not VW.

Compared to 502/505 it has lower saps/creates less soot, has better wear protection, better fuel mileage, and double the potential service life. As a side effect if you also get oil with 229.51 or .52 approval (like 90% of them) you also get lower noack. But yeah, it's not any better.

Ok edy, as usual you know best, not VW.

Compared to 502/505 it has lower saps/creates less soot, has better wear protection, better fuel mileage, and double the potential service life. As a side effect if you also get oil with 229.51 or .52 approval (like 90% of them) you also get lower noack. But yeah, it's not any better.

No as side effect you will not get MB229.51. MB 229.51 is harder to meet than VW 504.00/507.00.
By that argument you can say that as side effect you will get MB 229.5 if you buy VW 502.00, which is actually true.
That is the point. No one buys VW 502.00 alone. Everyone buys set of approvals.

By the way, maximum sulfated levels in VW 504.00/507.00 is 1.5%, and low SAPS in deleted SCR/DPF is absolutely irrelevant. Actually, it is desirable to be higher.
NOACK of VW504.00/507.00 is max 11%, which is mediocre at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back