Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
why not put 1/3 cup of coolant in the ww fluid

hmmm.... where to start.....
coolant is greasy, never fully dries, will leave a film behind
It stinks.
it's expensive
its not good for the environment

Give it a shot and let us know though...

Originally Posted by demarpaint
For a dollar or two a gallon, I run the winter mix all year.

Yup. Worth it for the peace of mind and knowing I don't have to think about it and worry about the first freeze of the year.

Originally Posted by Tman220

It stinks.
it's expensive

Living in floirda all my life, the thought of ww fluid freezing has never even crossed my mind. I have never once purchased ww fluid either, its always been the hose and a splash of carwash soap or a quick squirt of dishwasher soap from the kitchen.

Texas heat boils the alcohol out, no matter what "formula" you buy

I just dump a pint bottle of cheap 70% isopropyl alcohol from CVS in the tank when winter comes.

If you add enough concentration, it'll become deicing fluid!

Originally Posted by Tman220

It stinks.
it's expensive

Coolant can damage the finish on your ride also. Google coolant damage paint and you'll find numerous horror stories of people's paint job (clear coat?🤔) being ruined after a hose break or similar.

I guess that's one more reason to keep up on your wax job... and wash any coolant off as soon as practical.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by pkunk
I have 4 vehicles that don't individually see enough road time to empty the WW fluid reservoir by winter. I have no way to know if the antifreeze property is still sufficient for extreme winter cold. It's difficult to drain them. Can I just add some rubbing alcohol to increase freeze protection?

Yes you can
I mix windex and alcohol for my washer fluid

Originally Posted by kstanf150
I have 4 vehicles that don't individually see enough road time to empty the WW fluid reservoir by winter. I have no way to know if the antifreeze property is still sufficient for extreme winter cold. It's difficult to drain them. Can I just add some rubbing alcohol to increase freeze protection?

Yes you can

Do you dilute it? Cuzz that seems like a pretty expensive mix.. unless it's Dollar Store glass cleaner. But still, I think I pay no more than $4 for a gallon of Prestone winter mix at Wally's...I used to swap it out in the Spring for generic SuperTech but after reading all this maybe I'll just leave it in and save the trouble of having to flush it come Fall.

Originally Posted by nthach
No one has answered the question yet. Can I bump up the freeze protection with rubbing alcohol?

That's what I did as a CYA for a Tahoe trip since you can't buy "winter" fluid in the more populated parts of CA. It worked fine. If I can, I'll buy a gallon of the good stuff in Truckee or Pollock Pines.

Rubbing alcohol has IPA and additional additives in it and will leave a film. Just get the 70% IPA at WM or drug store. No residual film.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Yes you can

Do you dilute it? Cuzz that seems like a pretty expensive mix.. unless it's Dollar Store glass cleaner. But still, I think I pay no more than $4 for a gallon of Prestone winter mix at Wally's...I used to swap it out in the Spring for generic SuperTech but after reading all this maybe I'll just leave it in and save the trouble of having to flush it come Fall.

Yeah
Buy the cheapest no name brand type of windex you can find and cheap bottle of alcohol
I usually mix 50/50
It's always worked well for me

Yeah
Buy the cheapest no name brand type of windex you can find and cheap bottle of alcohol
I usually mix 50/50

Never thought of doing that but I guess that would work.. I'm no chemist but I can't see why it wouldn't. Is there anything in a typical glass cleaner that would damage the clear coat from over spray? I know some cleaners have ammonia, is that pH high enough to be bad???.. I guess if you've got a good coat of wax that might not be a concern???

Originally Posted by willbur

Rubbing alcohol has IPA and additional additives in it and will leave a film. Just get the 70% IPA at WM or drug store. No residual film.

I haven't seen anything else but IPA and DI water when I buy rubbing alcohol, maybe the colored stuff with menthol or wintergreen is what you're referring to.

Hey just curious, can I bump up the freeze protection with rubbing alcohol?

Any solute dissolved in water will depress the freezing point and elevate the boiling point. For water it is 1.86 degrees C per mole (regardless of the solute) up to 50%.

So yes you can but it is "bumping" it down, not up. Plus "rubbing alcohol" is mostly water to start with.

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by willbur

I haven't seen anything else but IPA and DI water when I buy rubbing alcohol, maybe the colored stuff with menthol or wintergreen is what you're referring to.

Isopropyl alcohol (C3H8O), also known as rubbing alcohol, is an alcoholic mixture intended for external use as an antiseptic; it usually contains 70% by volume of absolute alcohol or isopropyl alcohol; the remainder consists of water, denaturants, and perfume oils; used as a rubefacient for muscle and joint aches...

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Yeah
I usually mix 50/50

Never thought of doing that but I guess that would work.. I'm no chemist but I can't see why it wouldn't. Is there anything in a typical glass cleaner that would damage the clear coat from over spray? I know some cleaners have ammonia, is that pH high enough to be bad???.. I guess if you've got a good coat of wax that might not be a concern???

Don't over think it to much
It want hurt your paint
It's a great glass cleaner
And it's something most of us only refill maybe two to three times a year
So it's not a big deal

Well, it seems there's a mix of solutions and advise. The -20 Windshield washer fluid must have the alcohol evaporate in the summer heat as the reservoir lids are not airtight. In a few of the vehicles, it's probably several years old. They're difficult to drain or I wouldn't be asking about how to bump the antifreeze rating. 91% Walgrens rubbing alcohol (9%water-no other ingredients) is relatively inexpensive. Some of you say yea-some say nay. Summer here gets into the 90s and winter 0 to minus 20F so protection is mandatory.
I suppose I could just sit in the driveway and keep activating the washer pump until it's empty and refill with fresh winter mix.

Where are you again? Are you talking wind chill or actual temperature? If it regularly goes down to -20F, they should be selling fluid good to -35. If you're just talking wind chill, then that doesn't matter.

Normally for the summer, I just add water to the windshield washer fluid instead of doing anything. By the fall, I stop adding water and just use full strength. While it sometimes goes down to 0, most of the time in the winter it's in the 20-30 range. There's charts out there that show you the mix of methanol to water to get -20. I think it's somewhere around 40%. I use my windshield washer fluid all the time, just not as much in the summer, usually just once when first starting out. I don't know how some people just drive around without ever washing their windshield, sometimes they're all covered it dust. Certainly doesn't help if you want an unobstructed view of traffic.

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/methanol-water-d_987.html

Isopropyl will work, but it's bad for the paint. That's a different chart than methanol, but you will still need a lot. Methanol is best and cheapest. It's considered bad for the environment so that's why there's summer mix now. You're basically paying for a gallon of water with some dye and some cleaning solution. That's why I just add water to the existing mix in the spring/summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back