New HOA pres. / VIOC moving fwd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
HOA are unconstitutional. Do they pay your taxes? They have no say whatsoever about what you do on your property. People need to start minding their own business. It's ridiculous that people would ever come up with such a concept. I live where you're free to do any car repairs you want, mock illinois all you want for taxes, but our people are free.

The Constitution defines what the govt can/can not do to YOU, not what private citizens can/can not do to each other. Private citizens often self impose codes and covenants (CC&R's)..an Elks Lodge or gym membership for example.

Exactly. I feel like the whole concept of HOAs is very unAmerican personally, but people are free to choose whether or not live in them, and that's good enough for me. An HOA has no power over you unless you give them that power by choosing to live within one.

And I'm sure there are many HOAs that helped the neighborhood, I just cannot stomach someone else telling me what I can and can't do on MY property, especially nosy, bored busybodies that contribute nothing to the community other than complaints about other people doing things they don't like.

Originally Posted by Donald
What about changing the oil in your lawn mower? Does the HOA allow that?
His HOA might be taking care of landscaping, so he doesn't need a mower.

Originally Posted by Jetsfan421
HOA are unconstitutional. Do they pay your taxes? They have no say whatsoever about what you do on your property. People need to start minding their own business. It's ridiculous that people would ever come up with such a concept. I live where you're free to do any car repairs you want, mock illinois all you want for taxes, but our people are free.

Ugh, you enter into the contract with the HOA when you purchase the home.
Don't like it??? Don't purchase.....

Please don't enter into the agreement, then complain.
Your mother would scold you for this.....

It's the lowlife DIYer who ruins things for everybody....I rented a small 1BR condo very close to the job for which I moved to New England, my wife joined me about 3 months later after our house sold and then about 4 months after that our new house was done.
Every Friday and Saturday night in decent weather, a guy in the next building over would pull his pickup over the curb, bring out a case of beer, invite his buddies over, and blast the stereo while he messed around under the vehicle. Usually there was some kind of fluid all over the lawn the next day and they sure were a bunch of ill-mannered, trashy SOBs to boot. I knew I was not staying in the place so I didn't really care since they would finish up before I went to bed, but I'd imagine owners with kids must have been aghast.
Reminded me a lot of the people who would come into the parking garage at my first job on weekends and do their oil, usually just dumping it on the pavement and leaving the bottles behind as well. Each level was offset about half a floor from the one facing it and it was a good setup to work underneath a vehicle without a jack. I came in to get some work done quite often on weekends and these folks would glare at me like I was intruding...outrageous that they acted like that when I was the one who actually belonged there and was being productive instead of destructive! Never understood why security was not after these folks...maybe they figured the confrontations weren't worth it, IDK.
It's folks like that who lead to DIYers being associated with spilled oil, junky vehicles, stacks of bald tires, and just being trashy in general. Nobody notices the conscientious guy getting his job done quickly and without making a mess...

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Originally Posted by Chris142
Move.

Although unpractical I tend to agree. My wife and I agreed we will not be moving to an area where they have a homeowners association for reasons like this and others. I agree they have a certain value and appeal, but when we weigh the pros and cons, the cons outweigh the pros for us.

OP I'd find a friend who doesn't live in an area with a HO association and see if you can work on your car there.

^^^^^^^^

I agree one hundred percent...

Only place I could possibly put up with a HOA... A big money home gated community...

Last edited:
This is the "rules" at my HOA, regarding oil changes. This is a high end neighborhood, all my neighbors are doctors, surgeons, and lawyers. I would petition to have AT LEAST oil changes added to the approved list of vehicle maintenance procedures.

Motor Vehicle Repairs. No Owner of any Unit, nor a member of his family, guests, invitees, licensees, or lessees, shall engage in the construction, reconstruction, repair or maintenance on the Unit of any motor vehicle, regardless whether said motor vehicle is owned by the Owner; provided, however, that an Owner may wash and/or apply polish, change a tire, or change the oil (provided that used motor oil shall be disposed of in the manner required by law for such hazardous materials) on his own motor vehicle on Owner's Unit. There shall be no repair, assembling or disassembling of motor vehicles, except inside the Owner's garage.

As to the HOA, what can they do if you change your oil for 45 minutes? What is their enforcement level? Are they just going to ask you not to do it again? If that's the case, change the oil and forget about them. If they have no enforcement action, then consider it a rule without teeth.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
This is the "rules" at my HOA, regarding oil changes. This is a high end neighborhood, all my neighbors are doctors, surgeons, and lawyers. I would petition to have AT LEAST oil changes added to the approved list of vehicle maintenance procedures.

Motor Vehicle Repairs. No Owner of any Unit, nor a member of his family, guests, invitees, licensees, or lessees, shall engage in the construction, reconstruction, repair or maintenance on the Unit of any motor vehicle, regardless whether said motor vehicle is owned by the Owner; provided, however, that an Owner may wash and/or apply polish, change a tire, or change the oil (provided that used motor oil shall be disposed of in the manner required by law for such hazardous materials) on his own motor vehicle on Owner's Unit. There shall be no repair, assembling or disassembling of motor vehicles, except inside the Owner's garage.

As to the HOA, what can they do if you change your oil for 45 minutes? What is their enforcement level? Are they just going to ask you not to do it again? If that's the case, change the oil and forget about them. If they have no enforcement action, then consider it a rule without teeth.

Sounds very fair and reasonable ^^^^.

Originally Posted by bbhero

Sounds very fair and reasonable ^^^^.

That's fair. What goes on inside a garage with the door closed is nobody's business.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Engage stealth mode. Change it in the middle of the night:^D

Originally Posted by demarpaint

That's fair. What goes on inside a garage with the door closed is nobody's business.

Thats what i did when i lived in an apartment, i could change oil in about 10 minutes, quietly , no one was the wiser.

Inside a garage would be even better.

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by Jimzz

So has mine and many others without HOAs. Correlation does not imply causation.

You are the one who implied that because we bought a home governed by an HOA property values will drop. I just responded with the opposite of that. Not only that, but the ones recently placed on the mkt have sold at above mkt value and asking price. Like i said, must be a location thing because your "Then why did you buy in a HOA?" comment holds no bearing on our situation. It may elsewhere...i don't know.

No you are the one that implied when you said "i value my home value more than an oil change." Do you even know what the word implied means?

And you did not respond with the opposite of that, again do you know what the words you are typing mean?

If HOAs are so great, then why are they not advertised on home listings like those that are not in a HOA? I'm not talking about anecdotal cases like you but the entire market. Go to realtor.com and see what's on top of listings , its not "this house is in a HOA!!!".

They probably have a monetary fine associated with all violations of the HOA rules. Refuse to pay it and they can (and many have) place a lien against your property. Homeowners have had this happen to them, they've fought it in court, and lost too.

OP,
What is going to stop anyone from driving their car in the garage, closing the door and changing the oil?

If it were me, I would claim an under car inspection of the cooling system with a drip pan "just in case". Then, a top off of oil after your inspection.

Any family/friends that would be willing to let you change the oil at their place? For some beer perhaps?

It would probably be a stretch. I don't like to ask, even from family, for such regular favors, but on the other hand I would not mind helping family or friends in such a situation, as long as they didn't expect my garage and driveway be available at moments notice.

anyone watch busgreasemonkey on youtube? his HOA says you cant have an RV in the street but says nothing about a bus. So, him and son are out in the street rebuilding the detroit and HOA can do nothing about it.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
anyone watch busgreasemonkey on youtube? his HOA says you cant have an RV in the street but says nothing about a bus. So, him and son are out in the street rebuilding the detroit and HOA can do nothing about it.

Until his HOA holds a special meeting and amends the rules.

I have a friend moved into an HOA neighborhood. They hate him. He bought the house from an owner that was Pre-HOA and refused to join. He refused to sign the HOA agreement when he bought the house and they had no legal recourse. He parks his RV in the drive, works on his cars and does his own thing. Occasional busy bodies take pictures and he gets an occasional letter that is filed in the waste can. Funny thing is one of his neighbors comes over and changes his oil (since he can't do it at his house).

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Donald
What about changing the oil in your lawn mower? Does the HOA allow that?
His HOA might be taking care of landscaping, so he doesn't need a mower.

The one in charge of my development yes, does provide the landscaping/care.

But they seem to have NO respect for the owner's property (cars), as I've seen them hold the weed wackers right up to the bumpers of new cars, and blow the **** from the leaf blowers directly onto a car I just spent 4 hours washing/waxing/detailing.
mad.gif

So I guess it is OK for them to destroy my ride (I do not lease a car for 2 years like everyone else in this development, and many on this site, but buy to own, and need to keep it for MANY years), but NOT OK for me to keep it maintained?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

They probably have a monetary fine associated with all violations of the HOA rules. Refuse to pay it and they can (and many have) place a lien against your property. Homeowners have had this happen to them, they've fought it in court, and lost too.

EXACTLY what happens here, and the fines for these violations are exponential for recurring offenses.
mad.gif

I personally cannot move right at the moment for various logistical/monetary reasons, so that 'solution' is not an option for me.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back