Should I switch to Full Synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I have a 2001 Toyota Avalon. Just hit 140k. I have been using PYB, I haven't have any problems. It's a great oil. The only problem is I have considerable burn off. (I put in about a little more than an extra quart at about 2800, and when I changed the oil a few hundred miles later about 3.8 quarts drained.

I was switching from PYB to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum due to its ability to withstand slightly higher temps to limit my burnoff.

Any thoughts guys?

Some engines burn more oil than others do
Many reasons for the burn
You may not be able to reduce the consumption
If it burns a quart every 3k miles, just keep a few quarts on hand and check it every thousand miles and keep her topped off

I switched to Mobil 1 10W-40 High Mileage in my 1991 F-150 5.0 V-8. I did it because I have a rear main that's leaking. And from people I talked to here, they said it might help cut down the leak by reconditioning the seals. (Something high mileage motor oils are supposed to do). I switched to synthetic because I thought it might be a bit "better" at it.

So far no improvement in just over 1,000 miles. I'm also told the longer you use it, the better chance it has to work. So we'll see what happens in time.

Ah yes, oil consumption...the trials and tribulations.

Toyota Avalons -- First thing I'd check is the spark plug seals, they leak. Pull the spark plug, check to see if it's wet with oil. Very common.

If that's not it...

Consider the mileage you're at now, things will continue to change as the engine wears. You can play around with different types of oils, brands, weights...might work, might not. It's worth experimenting, so yeah give the Synthetic a try, I doubt it will help (as I tend to think Synthetic is a little "thinner" free're flowing and might get past the rings or up into the PCV system even easier).

I'd probably also check around the oil pan, valve cover gasket bottoms, and oil filter. You could change your PCV valve too...probably won't help but they're cheap.

Originally Posted by billt460
I switched to Mobil 1 10W-40 High Mileage in my 1991 F-150 5.0 V-8. I did it because I have a rear main that's leaking. And from people I talked to here, they said it might help cut down the leak by reconditioning the seals. (Something high mileage motor oils are supposed to do). I switched to synthetic because I thought it might be a bit "better" at it.

So far no improvement in just over 1,000 miles. I'm also told the longer you use it, the better chance it has to work. So we'll see what happens in time.

I did the same type of stuff when my Lexus LS 460 started using oil. Car was fine up until around 140,000 miles, never used a drop. Then around 140k it started to use a little...then at 150k a little more. By the time I had reached 178,000 miles it was using a quart every 1,200 miles or so...tried heavier weights, nothing helped. I ended up trading it in, it needed other repairs and it was time, but I probably could have driven that thing another 100,000 miles without issue, just adding the oil.

To KennethH: In no particular order
1) Your consumption is nothin'. Do add from a dedicated container so you can be sure of the amount of oil you add. Heaven forbid you keep a log.

2) EVERYONE I know who has switched to synthetic oil experienced an increase in consumption. This increase went away with time. The reasons given are often heard repeated by many....too thin in some way....it slips past the rings better.....the rings have to get used to it...etc.

3) I'd go the "High Mileage" route were I in your shoes.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Might one suggest either castrol magnatec or quakers tate high mileage in 5w30

Quakers Tate
lol.gif

Didn't know the Quakers made oil... Just messing with ya.

Pennzoil high mileage synthetic has more seal sweller then Mobil 1. My daughters still leaked with Mobil 1 HM and Pennzoil HM sealed it up after 4 days of the new oil change and has been that way for 2 years now.

Mobil 1's website IIRC says to allow up to 2 oil changes. I'd say if you haven't experienced any decrease in the leak after a couple oci's you can a) try a 3rd party swelling agent like Bar's Leaks for Main Seals or AT-205...or b) just live with it and keep adding oil. But know that with a main seal leak you're on borrowed time. If the main seal goes entirely while on the road, your engine will likely be shot. A lot of people sell their ride before it goes if seal swellers don't work. And not all main seal leaks can be fixed by a sweller... sometimes the leak is just beyond repair. A leak at the main seal is just about the worst place to have one. Fwiw, this is why people start running a HiMi oil BEFORE leaks begin..to keep the seals pliable after thousands of heating/cooling cycles. Over time they harden and using a HiMi prophylactically helps lengthen the service life of the seal(s) before failure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Railrust

I did the same type of stuff when my Lexus LS 460 started using oil. Car was fine up until around 140,000 miles, never used a drop. Then around 140k it started to use a little...then at 150k a little more. By the time I had reached 178,000 miles it was using a quart every 1,200 miles or so...tried heavier weights, nothing helped. I ended up trading it in, it needed other repairs and it was time, but I probably could have driven that thing another 100,000 miles without issue, just adding the oil.

Mine doesn't leak enough to have to add between changes. So if this stuff cuts down on it or not, I'll just keep driving it the way it is. I park it over a couple of those big metal drip pans, so it's not a problem.

Play around with different types of oil if you want. Nothing to be concerned about with that oil usage. Its really not that much. I had a Pacifica that took 1qt every 1200 miles.I bought the thing when it had 60,000 on it. Drove it until 200,000. 1qt every 1200 miles. It was a very good vehicle.The dealer said 1qt every 1000 was perfectly normal so no warranty repair. Makes you lift the hood more often. Maybe get better maintenance then. Just keep an eye on it a qt in the trunk and drive on with no worries.

Originally Posted by wemay
Pennzoil High Mileage oil would be my go to oil after changing PCV.

This.

Pennzoil High Mileage conventional.

Originally Posted by KennethH
Hello all. I have a 2001 Toyota Avalon. Just hit 140k. I have been using PYB, I haven't have any problems. It's a great oil. The only problem is I have considerable burn off. (I put in about a little more than an extra quart at about 2800, and when I changed the oil a few hundred miles later about 3.8 quarts drained.

I was switching from PYB to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum due to its ability to withstand slightly higher temps to limit my burnoff.

Any thoughts guys?

I'd try a HM oil, and change the PCV valve. PU 5w30 for example is on the "thinner" side of the grade, and might not help with your consumption issue.

I have said this more than once . When I was a teenager , 1 qt. in 1000 miles was not considered that bad .

Dad once drove a 62 Chevy work pick up that burned a quart every 25 - 50 miles . To the point it started fouling the plugs . They were too busy to have the down time to get it over hauled . When they got caught up , sent it to the Chevy dealer for ring & valve job . Maybe mains & inserts . A 235 CI straight 6 .

Ran fine , the boss finally traded it off .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I have said this more than once . When I was a teenager , 1 qt. in 1000 miles was not considered that bad .

Dad once drove a 62 Chevy work pick up that burned a quart every 25 - 50 miles . To the point it started fouling the plugs . They were too busy to have the down time to get it over hauled . When they got caught up , sent it to the Chevy dealer for ring & valve job . Maybe mains & inserts . A 235 CI straight 6 .

Ran fine , the boss finally traded it off .

Under warranty using a quart of oil in a thousand miles will yield you nothing more than the obligatory statement of, "it's normal."

Change PCV valve and see if any improvement in 1 interval. If still using I would go with Pennzoil High Mileage oil and maybe even bump it up a grade. If using 5w30 go to 10w30HM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back